walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby harkinchristopher » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 02/04/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After getting my car stuck on Schiehallion road in February (which knackered any chances of completing the walk this day), I was keen to get back up and complete this hill as soon as I could. Found what looked to be the one dry window of the weekend and set off arriving at the carpark to begin walking around 10am. (No snow this time, I actually managed to reach the carpark - yes!)

IMG_0048.jpg
Stuck En Route (February)

After snow being as far as ground level last time we tried this walk and having to plod through deep snow, I was surprised at how easy the going was in better conditions. Before long we had gained good height and the views around started to open up.

IMG_0005.jpg
View back to the car park.

Around 2.5 hours after we left the car (and a couple of tea breaks to enjoy the view included), we could see the summit cairn and the snow we'd have to plod through to get there. Even then, the going was enjoyable and the sun even came out!

IMG_0010.jpg
Snowy Schiehallion

Finally reaching the top, we got lucky as the clouds began to clear and we found a few comfy boulders to sit and have lunch. One of the most pleasant lunch stops at the top of a munro we've had yet!

IMG_0038.jpg
View from the summit.

Looking past Loch Rannoch and Rannoch Moor, we could see the unmistakable outline of Bauchaille Etive Mor in the distance which was fun as we'd first seen Schiehallion from the summit of Stob Dearg a couple of years before.
Couldn't have left the summit without cracking open a bottle of Schiehallion to mark the occasion! :D

IMG_0046.jpg
Nature's Fridge

IMG_0029.jpg
Slainté!

After spending longer than usual at the summit (finishing our bottles) it was time to head back to the car after a very enjoyable day on the hills!
harkinchristopher
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland