walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tiny knoll with giant views - big reward for minimum effort

Tiny knoll with giant views - big reward for minimum effort

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:06 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bidein Clann Raonaild

Date walked: 16/03/2016

Distance: 6.5 km

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The plan was to find a walk with a decent path and not too steep a gradient that wouldn't force a recovering broken ankle into angles it didn't like. I was drawn to Bidein Clann Raonaild after reading mountainsofscotland's report and reckoned if it was fine for his daughter in snow it would present no problems for Mary's ankle with little or no snow. I had a good look at the north side of the hill when passing two days earlier and could see no snow at all so was hopeful the track would be clear, which it was.

For comparison of underfoot conditions just two weeks apart here's mountainsofscotland's report.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60030

When Janice heard what I was suggesting her response was "That's a Marilyn!" which made me wonder if she thought I was being over ambitious taking Mary there. What neither of us remembered was that since breaking her ankle last April, Mary climbed Cairngorm twice in the autumn and more recently was up Meall a' Bhuachaille. So this wee Sub 2000 with vehicle track all the way would be a doddle.

We parked on the verge beside the gate to the transmitter mast near the road at the east end of Glen Docherty. The forecast had said early low lying mist would soon clear but it was to be better in the west and I was concerned we were still too far east to get the best of the conditons.

All set to head off into the murk
DSC_0773-largel.JPG

Beyond the mast the track undulated through the forestry plantation and led to a locked gate with extra fencing on top which didn't look strong enough to bear any weight but to the right was one of those narrow ladder arrangements with posts on either side which can be hard to clear with an arthritic hip. Janice (the athletic one) went over it and the rest of us would have followed except that I (the opportunist one) spotted a square hole had been cut in the fence to the side about the size of a large labrador. I didn't have my labs with me (my car being full of women and the boot with all their stuff) so it seemed a waste not to use it and with Moira (the careful one) pushing my rucksack down I managed to get through without taking it off. The others followed minus their bags.

A bit further up the track we decided since we were in no hurry we'd stop for a coffee or in Mary's case a cup of tea.

Cup of tea
DSC_0777-large.JPG

Checking their phones
DSC_0776-largel.JPG

We were fairly near the summit and still had no views looking east but at last we could see blue sky ahead and the sun was making a valiant attempt to shine through.

Is this a fog bow?
DSC_0778-largel.JPG

Mary (the recovering from broken ankle one) and I were ahead and couldn't see the others so stood and waited for them to catch up. After about 5 minutes we still couldn't see them but we could hear them chattering away - their voices floating eerily up to us from the opaque blanket below.

Ghostly figures emerging from the mist
DSC_0779-largel.JPG

Over to the south west we could see the Beinn Liath Mhor group appearing above the inversion.

Beinn Liath Mhor
DSC_0782-largel.JPG

But the real wow moment was on reaching the summit and seeing Liathach and Beinn Eighe bathed in sunshine with a perfect blue sky behind.

Liathach and Beinn Eighe
DSC_0781-largel.JPG

Transmitter mast at Bidean Clann Raonaild summit
DSC_0785-largel.JPG

Three of us at summit cairn
DSC_0791-large.JPG

There were views on every side. Next to Beinn Eighe was Meall a' Ghuibhais which Moira and I climbed last year with two of my grandsons and which from this angle looked impressively steep rising up from Loch Maree.

Meall a' Ghuibhais, Slioch and shadow of transmitter mast
DSC_0787-largel.JPG

Seeing Slioch from this side brought back memories of the fabulous day I spent climbing it with Kath and the dogs and made me sad she's no longer here to climb hills with us.

Loch Maree and Slioch
DSC_0795-largel.JPG

The easterly Fisherfield hills
DSC_0797-largel.JPG

Looking east towards Fionn Bheinn
DSC_0798-largel.JPG

Strathconon Corbetts above the mist
DSC_0802-large.JPG

The track heading down
DSC_0803-large.JPG

Fionn Bheinn and Fannichs peeping out
DSC_0804-largel.JPG

Fuar Tholl and Beinn Liath Mhor (zoomed)
DSC_0801-largel.JPG

Looking back at summit
DSC_0806-large.JPG

Fish shaped lochan with Slioch and Fisherfields beyond
DSC_0808-largel.JPG

Zoomed down to the road with northern tops of Strathconon Corbetts above the mist
DSC_0809-largel.JPG

Fuar Tholl and Beinn Liath Mhor
DSC_0811-largel.JPG

When we reached the locked gate Janice climbed over but the weight of her bag unbalanced her and she wrenched her arm saving herself from falling. So there was no question about which way we were going!

It's easier without the bag (Moira's photo)
1937086_10153958142363788_6963260288953810558_n-large.jpg

The final stretch through the forestry was far more pleasant now that the mist had cleared.

Moira's photo
1930238_10153958144973788_1779244573366992897_n-large.jpg

I had to be back early but we still had loads of time so added in a few extra miles to the journey so I could introduce the girls to the cafe I'd discovered in Kinlochewe two days earlier. For anyone passing it's well worth a visit.

Whistle Stop Cafe, Kinlochewe
DSC_0770-large.JPG
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Tiny knoll with giant views - big reward for minimum eff

Postby JimboJim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:18 pm

Wonderful trip, ladies and great photo's! :clap:
Thanks for sharing.
Jimmy
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Cracking pictures :clap: The smaller hills are certainly great viewpoints to the Munros and Corbetts :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Silverhill » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:10 pm

Wonderful views from that tiny knoll! Good to see that Mary's recovery is going well. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Jaxter » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:52 am

Some lovely photos there :clap: and beautiful blue skies too, looks like you had a great day out :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby dogplodder » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:11 am

JimboJim wrote:Wonderful trip, ladies and great photo's! :clap:
Thanks for sharing.
Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy!
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:16 am

Beaner001 wrote:Cracking pictures :clap: The smaller hills are certainly great viewpoints to the Munros and Corbetts :D

This one certainly is. After seeing my pics on facebook my friend John and his wife went up a few days later and got even better views than we did! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:19 am

Silverhill wrote:Wonderful views from that tiny knoll! Good to see that Mary's recovery is going well. :D

Her ankle seems to be doing really well and ready for the big hills again - though I guess she'll always be wary around mud! :?
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Jaxter wrote:Some lovely photos there :clap: and beautiful blue skies too, looks like you had a great day out :D

A fine wee dander to get the juices going for more adventurous stuff round the corner! 8)
dogplodder

Postby McMole » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:09 pm

That very useful hole in the fence was still there on Saturday and we agree that the Whistle Stop Café in Kinlochewe is well worth a visit. The toasted cheese scones were excellent but sadly there were none left when we called again on Monday :(
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Postby basscadet » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:12 pm

I find it slightly annoying that in all your summit pics, you always look fresh and chic.. I lose my chic-ness (if there is even a hint) about 50 yards from the car, and arrive at summits both dripping in sweat and looking like I've been dragged through the heather backward :?

:lol:

Can sympathise fully with your pal - 10 months on, and my ankle is still sore at the wrong angle :roll:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:19 am

What a wonderful trip report.

I was only vaguely aware of this hill, but seeing these stunning photos I wish I'd visited it when we were last in Kinlochewe.

Whistle Stop Cafe looks much the same as when we were there... I think we spent nearly as much time inside it as we did out on the hills...

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:51 pm

McMole wrote:That very useful hole in the fence was still there on Saturday and we agree that the Whistle Stop Café in Kinlochewe is well worth a visit. The toasted cheese scones were excellent but sadly there were none left when we called again on Monday :(

The lady who runs and cooks for the Whistle Stop loves what she does and I think you can tell in the quality of the food. One time we were there we ordered fruit smoothies and after we'd finished were brought more for no extra charge because they make fresh for every customer and had made too much. Nice touch that. :thumbup:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:55 pm

basscadet wrote:I find it slightly annoying that in all your summit pics, you always look fresh and chic.. I lose my chic-ness (if there is even a hint) about 50 yards from the car, and arrive at summits both dripping in sweat and looking like I've been dragged through the heather backward :?

This made me laugh as no one has ever called me chic before and I often do look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards (why is it always backwards - wouldn't frontwards be just as bad?)! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:59 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:
Whistle Stop Cafe looks much the same as when we were there... I think we spent nearly as much time inside it as we did out on the hills...

Tim

Perfection is a good day on the hills followed by food at the Whistle Stop. 8)
dogplodder

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland