walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean - Amazing day!

Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean - Amazing day!

Postby Steven001 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:42 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 31/03/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 1025m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I left this house at 9am - a little later than usual - and began the 2 hour drive to Inverlochlarig. The drive in was beautiful and Loch Voil looked like a huge piece of glass reflecting the landscape. I parked at the car park at Inverlochlarig and set off around 1130am.

The ascent to Beinn Tulaichean was exhausting! As far as I know there is no path and I just headed straight up the steep and unrelenting slopes. I was knackered! I gained height fairly quickly and the views down towards the Glen were excellent:

As I got further up, I started to see more and more snow :D

Eventually, at about 800 meters or so into the ascent, I managed to find some sort of path and made my way to the top. As I continued to ascend the clouds rolled in along with hailstones! It was almost white-out conditions for about the last 40 mins but I eventually made the summit:

I couldn't see anything from the summit of Beinn Tulaichean, so I took a bearing from my map and headed off in what I hoped was the right direction. After about 5 minutes, the sky suddenly clears and the sun began to shine in all its glory. The views were tremendous!

Just as the clouds lifted:

The weather had turned from pretty poor to amazing in the space of 5 minutes and with the clouds lifted, I managed to get a glimpse of Cruach Ardrain which looked like a very impressive mountain. I made my way up the ridge onto Cruach Ardrain which offered some fantastic views on the way. I felt like I was in the Alps.

At 1440 hours I made the summit of Cruach Ardrain and I didn't want to leave. I took loads of pictures and just stood in awe at the amazing scenery.

Once I started to get cold, I started my decent down in the bealach and descended down the valley back to the land rover track.

Down we go:

Looking back to Cruach Ardrain:

A few km later, I was back in the car with a massive smile of my face :)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Steven001 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven001

Munros:79   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean - Amazing day!

Postby Silverhill » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:35 pm

How lucky were you that the cloud cleared! Fantastic pictures of those knobbly hills. Just wonderful. I bet that smile lasted for a long while. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Steven001 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:30 pm

Silverhill wrote:How lucky were you that the cloud cleared! Fantastic pictures of those knobbly hills. Just wonderful. I bet that smile lasted for a long while. :D

I honestly couldn't believe it! I was annoyed at myself for leaving my camera in the car, I won't make that mistake twice :lol:
Steven001

Munros:79   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Graeme D » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Wow! Photos 5 to 9 are stunning. Shows how a pretty grey, claggy day can suddenly just transform in an instant. :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland