walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Panther truimphant on Baosbheinn

Panther truimphant on Baosbheinn

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:31 pm

Route description: Baosbheinn, near Gairloch

Corbetts included on this walk: Baosbheinn

Date walked: 02/04/2016

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 25.3 km

Ascent: 1155m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I hope this TR will provide some useful information for all Walkhighlanders coming to the Spring Meet. Me and Kevin will definitely show up somewhere on Saturday morning (watch out, the meowing one is coming :lol: ).

Since my injury, any time on the hills was spent mostly bagging Grahams, as the easier option. But I was aching for something bigger... better... more challenging... I wanted a classic. I considered Beinn Dearg group but Kevin was still a bit apprehensive, saying maybe I wasn't ready for such a big walk just yet. At the end of the day, he was right. I'm almost recovered but going too far too quickly could end me up in nowhere's land :wink:

The forecast for last Saturday was good, sunshine and low winds, so we could be fussy and aim for a longer route with rougher terrain. Baosbheinn was on my wish list, has been for a long time, especially since last October when we climbed Beinn an Eoin. Kevin called Baosbheinn "Little Alligin" for its distinctive shape. There is striking similarity between these two and since Alligin is my husband's old favourite, he expected the wee brother to be just as entertaining.

Brave souls tackle both Corbetts in one trip but since we had already ticked off Eoin, Baosbheinn was the sole target for us. I don't think my knee could handle the two of them in a single walk, anyway. We decided to follow WH route and that's what we did, with a small variation due to rivers in spate.
Our route:

Track_BAOSBHEINN 02-04-16.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Before I get into details of the walk itself, a few words about the current parking situation. A832 is currently undergoing a major development, being widened from 1 to 2 lines. Plenty of diggers and other equipment everywhere, hot tar and speed restrictions (10 or 20 mph). That by itself would just be a pain in the neck, but sadly the parking space by the green shed is used as construction site: tractors, piles of debris, bits and pieces of stuff. Thankfully, they don't seem to work on Saturdays, so we decided it was OK to leave Black Arrow next to a tractor (there was already a car parked there, looked like another hillwalker's).
The roadworks:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 002.JPG

Another snap taken on the way back:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 384.JPG

The long walk-in to Loch na h-Oidhche is always a pleasure in itself, we had weather on our side and plenty of time to enjoy this trip. Our first look at the target confirmed our earlier thoughts, that it was still wise to carry crampons. Most of the hill was bare, but the final climb to the summit would be on the snow and in warm weather it was bound to be slushy-slippery.
Baosbheinn on the approach:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 013.JPG

Crampons might be needed:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 029.JPG

We reached the ford over Abhainn Loch na h-Oidhche, where we discovered, river was in spate and the stepping stones completely submerged :( We didn't fancy taking our boots off (too much time and hassle), so we walked along the banks of the river instead, using a wet path. When we reached the spot where the river divides in two (an unusual feature - not natural, as I found out later), we found a suitable place for crossing... Just about. On the other side, the path disappeared and from now on it was only us and "mushy tatties" kind of experience :lol:
Me, Baosbheinn, river in spate, bog under my feet...
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 042.JPG

To the south of us, the cloud was dancing around the summits of higher Torridon hills. We kept fingers crossed that "our" mountain would stay clag-free, as it was at the moment.
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 054.JPG

Surprisingly, to the north conditions were much better, clear sky and mountain tops well visible. Like An Teallach:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 057.JPG

Trudging up the soaked slopes, we slowly neared the steepest section of the climb. It's only about 450m of ascent from the level of Loch na h-Oidhche to the summit of Baosbheinn, but the lack of path and the boggy conditions made us feel like it lasted forever!
Looks benign but it's a bogfeast:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 053.JPG

Behind us, Beinn an Eoin and Loch na h-Oidhche, cloud threatening to spoil the day:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 064.JPG

We crossed Allt an Reidh-choire and found a large, flat rock to sit on. It was already 12 o'clock, we were so slow today, arghhh... Kevin said he was hungry, no wonder, after all that bog-snorkeling...ehm... I mean: hillwalking.
We took a break for tea and sandwiches, sat there studying the final climb and whether we would need to dig up crampons:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 081.JPG

After lunch we felt more energetic and carried on up the slope. We discovered that the snow was, as we suspected, very wet and slushy, with just as wet, slippery grass underneath. But where the snow had melted, the vegetation was a bit drier, so we continued climbing, using patches of grass. So far, so good.
The final 100m above us:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 090.JPG

I looked around my shoulder and spotted Slioch, the Castle of Torridon. Such an iconic mountain and I'd love to climb it again :D The view cheered me up!
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 087.JPG

We aimed straight for the col between two towers (Sgorr Dubh to the left hand side). It's a steep slope but nothing difficult. Snow was a bit firmer here so it was easy to kick steps in. My problem at the moment is of a different kind - I can't look down. If I do, my stomach twists and the memories of my fall come back. I kept telling myself - don't panic, silly woman, it's a slope like many others you've already tackled, it's just a bit of slushy snow, come on! When I emerged on the col just below Sgorr Dubh and actually looked down, I felt so stupid. I remembered Bruach na Frithe in winter conditions, similar kind of porridgy snow, I was scrambling on Cuillin Ridge covered with it and I had no vertigo whatsoever! How an accident can mess with your head!
Relieved to be on level ground:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 103.JPG

The breathtaking pano of the Fisherfields:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 108.JPG

The final climb to the summit looked a bit hairy and we had choice: put crampons on and push straight up the snowy slope or use this path:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 092.JPG

and traverse the sunny side of Sgorr Dubh to find a way up from the west.
We decided - the path. It was wet but we soon spotted a breach in rocks from the west, a grassy slope leading to the summit:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 111.JPG

This was still steep and I didn't dare looking down... Nah, that would be a lie. I did look down, as soon as I found an excuse ("I just want to take a few snaps..." :lol: :lol: ):
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 114.JPG

Five minutes later I touched the cairn. The summit area is surprisingly flat. I expected a tiny cairn perched on the edge of a rocky cliff - something Cuillin style, maybe.
Corbett no. 103!
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 123.JPG

For me, this hill was a triumph. Triumph over my recent mishaps, over sore knee, but also over my panicking mind. I proved to myself, I can still do it. But for Lucy... For her it was business as usual :lol:
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 398 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Kevin was gobsmacked with the views around us. Simply fantastic and even better than Beinn an Eoin, as Baosbheinn is a better vantage point towards Beinn Alligin. So no wonder my chum spent a lot of time with his camera...
HIM and Slioch:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 399.JPG

HIM and Alligin:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 390.JPG

Alligin zoomed:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 404.JPG

The bad weather front still stubbornly held above Liathach and Beinn Eighe:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 126.JPG

Coire Mor and the vertical cliffs of Baosbheinn, Loch na h-Oidhche and Beinn an Eoin ridge in the background:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 134.JPG

The northern half of the ridge:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 136.JPG

My wee camera has an easy panoramic function so I played with it as much as I could. This summit is a perfect place to practice pano-making :lol:
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 407 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 410 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Me and Liathach:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 187.JPG

This photo, taken by Kevin as he wandered around the summit area snapping (almost 500 photos from this trip in the end, choosing the right ones was a pain...), shows the true size of the mountains and how little we are compare to them. Mighty Alligin, big drops down to Loch a'Bhealaich and a tiny, tiny person in the frame. It makes me think, we should always respect these giants... How insignificant we are in their shadow.
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 182.JPG

The last pose before we left the summit. Lucy bagged her 19th Corbett. I was just happy to have reached the top (and be able to have a selfie with Slioch).
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 191.JPG

Plan minimum was to bag the top and if my knee felt sore, we considered retracing our steps. But down that slushy snow? Ehmmm... I'd rather do the full traverse! :lol:
To be honest, I felt like I could carry on, knee wasn't too bad, a bit tired but no real soreness. The descent slope looked all right from above, no snow here, just steep ground, so we decided to continue the traverse as planned.
Weather over the giants began to improve:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 195.JPG

As we walked, we couldn't take our eyes of the western end of Beinn Dearg, "The F** Corbett behind Liathach". I found it hard to believe, we actually went straight up that slope! Looks unclimbable from this perspective, an from what i remember, it was stiff-steep some easy scrambling but nowhere near as bad as it seems!
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 200.JPG

Beinn Eighe (Corrie Mhic Fhearchair) now sunny:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 208.JPG

Zoomed Liathach:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 216.JPG

The descent from Sgorr Dubh required some care as it's steep, but one can follow a zig-zagging path.
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 227.JPG

What a mountain! Every corner we turned, we had a different perspective on the vertical drops around us...
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 234 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Back to Sgorr Dubh:
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 243 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
From the ascent to the next top:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 257.JPG

The "middle" top has no name on the map, but it's another good viewpoint, we stopped again to enjoy ourselves:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 266.JPG

The descent continues along this ridge, with fantastic view to Beinn Alligin:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 267.JPG

One man and his camera:
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 412 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Beinn an Eoin across the loch:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 293.JPG

I really had to cut down the number of photos in this TR (otherwise it would go on and on forever), so only the best snapshots here. A few panos:
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 297 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 422 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Me and Baosbheinn:
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 299 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
A couple more:
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 424 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 300 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
There is one more top on the way, Ceann Beag. Technically, it can be omitted by dropping down to the loch side from the col, but we decided to stick to the original route, not that we are bothered to collect all Graham tops, but it looked like another potential viewpoint:
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 309.JPG

While climbing the last top, we met the only people we saw that day, a group of young folks doing the full traverse in the other direction. They were well equipped so I'm sure they managed the descent from the snowy side of Sgorr Dubh without any problems. So nice to see the young generation on the hills :D
Weather has turned very nice now and I felt that sudden sentiment "I don't want to go home just yet"...
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 330.JPG

Zoom to the stone chute on Beinn Eighe:
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 346 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Right, but it was already 3pm and we needed to hurry up if we didn't want to spend the night in Flowerdale Forest :lol: :lol: We began the painstaking descent from Ceann Beag, picking our way carefully on the slippery ground. The lower we were, the worse the conditions. By the time we reached the loch, we were both fed up with bog, bog, even more muddy bog, slippery vegetation and "mushy tatties" under our feet. i guess this is the only downside of Baosbheinn - once of the ridge, it's bog-snorkeling :lol:
Loch na h-Oidhche was so tranquil...
2016-04-02 baosbheinn 338.JPG

Some more walking over mucky ground and we reached Poca Buidhe:
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 354 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
It was time for a well deserved rest, another cup of tea and something sweet to boost up glucose levels...
Looking to Baosbheinn over Loch na h-Oidhche:
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 351 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
We spent almost half an hour, lazying on the bench by the bothy, but eventually we had to pack up and walk all the long way back to the road. At least it was walking on level ground now, and on a relatively good track/path. Views - priceless...
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 367 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
Thankfully, the level of water in Abhainn Loch na h-Oidhche has dropped since the morning and we could now use the stepping stones :D
I was reluctant to go home... It's such a superb area, here one can taste Torridon without meeting the crowds. I remember, every time we climbed any of Torridon Munros, there was always a cue of people waiting to get to the summit :lol: On the opposite side, Beinn Dearg we had only to ourselves. Generally, Torridon Corbetts seem to attract fewer people which is fine by me - I can meow as much as I want without being led away in a straight jacket :lol: :lol:
Image2016-04-02 baosbheinn 378 by Ewa Dalziel, on Flickr
So that's it, we returned to the car, drove home and lived happily ever after :lol:
I think no need to add anything to advertise Baosbheinn! I'd love to visit it again and explore the northern tops. The whole circuit took us 9.5 hours but we were quite slow on the steep, slushy ground, not to mention ages spent taking photos and simply gazing down the cliffs! So far, my best day on the hills in 2016 :D
Last edited by BlackPanther on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Panther truimphant on Baosbheinn

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:51 pm

A very timely post there BP, thank you. As a matter of interest is the Bothy open? As I had heard the estate had locked it. Sounds like it's still very wet and slippy underfoot though.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:08 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:A very timely post there BP, thank you. As a matter of interest is the Bothy open? As I had heard the estate had locked it. Sounds like it's still very wet and slippy underfoot though.

Thanks, Rod, I spent SOME time selecting photos :lol: :lol:

The bothy is locked, as it says on the door "because outdoor code was not obeyed" or something like that... Obviously people were leaving it dirty... :(

So how's the plan at the moment? BA Charr still on the radar for Saturday?
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dooterbang » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:28 pm

Looks awesome :D

Hoping to do this at the meet so thanks for posting.

Maybe see you and Kev Saturday. I'm heading up early Thursday morning.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:32 pm

BlackPanther wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:A very timely post there BP, thank you. As a matter of interest is the Bothy open? As I had heard the estate had locked it. Sounds like it's still very wet and slippy underfoot though.

Thanks, Rod, I spent SOME time selecting photos :lol: :lol:

The bothy is locked, as it says on the door "because outdoor code was not obeyed" or something like that... Obviously people were leaving it dirty... :(

So how's the plan at the moment? BA Charr still on the radar for Saturday?

That could be the one for Saturday right enough.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Jaxter » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:39 pm

Wow some amazing photos there, what a viewpoint :clap: loved your photo of Coire Mhic Fhearchair too, climbing into there was one of the few occasions in my life to make me speechless :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:32 pm

Fantastic report, what a hill it is. Best views in the world.

We were sat on the beach at Sands near Gairloch, looking jealously at the hills, cooking pizza on reflector ovens as a reward for surviving a week wild camping on and around Loch Maree and its islands. Baosbheinn looked wonderful, I should have waved!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby ancancha » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:17 pm

Fabulous :clap:
Great photos and report, especially the last pic :!:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby PeteR » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:20 pm

Thanks for doing the reconnaissance trip for us all BP.

Parking or no parking by the shed I fully intend to pay this one a visit on Friday. Given my slow plodding style though I will be an early, early starter so that I can hopefully get the two Corbetts in on the day before the sun sets - the OS map suggests parking a little further down to road by a loch the name of which I can't remember. Might add a bit to the walk, but from the look of your photos it will be worth it.

No doubt if the Rodmiester is still on for these two on Friday he will storm past me at some point..... :lol: .
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:24 pm

PeteR wrote:Thanks for doing the reconnaissance trip for us all BP.

Parking or no parking by the shed I fully intend to pay this one a visit on Friday. Given my slow plodding style though I will be an early, early starter so that I can hopefully get the two Corbetts in on the day before the sun sets - the OS map suggests parking a little further down to road by a loch the name of which I can't remember. Might add a bit to the walk, but from the look of your photos it will be worth it.

No doubt if the Rodmiester is still on for these two on Friday he will storm past me at some point..... :lol: .

That is still the plan PeteR, what time do you intend to start? don't know about storming past though :lol: it would certainly be a good couple of blue balloons to get though leaving a shorter day for the Saturday, it might save me from falling asleep at the quiz :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:35 am

Glad to see your knee has recovered well even if your nerve has taken a bit of a knock. I'm sure that will right itself once you've done a bit more. I was sorry to have missed you on Meall Mor - was down at Insh Marshes that day looking at birds and rolling Easter eggs with a Polish friend and the grandkids. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland