walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon Big 4

Glen Lyon Big 4

Postby harkinchristopher » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:44 am

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 10/04/2016

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1310m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After eyeing up this walk during deer stalking season last year, I was keen to get going on it the first chance I got. Free Sunday, weather looking good, we set off from the small car park at Invervar at around 11am (slightly later than planned) and made our way up through the forest.

thumb_IMG_3861_1024.jpg
Up Through The Forest

There is currently a slight diversion in place due to the hydro works, but the route which now skirts round the Lint House is well laid out with green and orange markers.

thumb_IMG_3862_1024.jpg
Diversion Markers

After breaking from the forest, the climb up the track was steeper than expected, crossing one substantial bridge, and then a second, less substantial, more bouncy, bridge. Soon, we were on the path heading up the hill towards Carn Gorm, Munro one for the day.

thumb_IMG_3864_1024.jpg
Towards Carn Gorm

After a quick cuppa at the summit of Carn Gorm, we set off again and reached the odd-shaped summit cairn of Meall Garbh sooner than expected. (The fence posts on the summit could be easily seen using binoculars from the previous summit, let us know we were going the right way!)

thumb_IMG_3871_1024.jpg
Top Class Views

thumb_IMG_3874_1024.jpg
Odd Summit Cairn

The walk between munros 2 and 3 of the day felt considerably longer. When we reached the summit of Meall a'Bharr it felt like we should have been hitting the summit of Cairn Mairg but we were only around half way. If it hadn't been for Kendal Mint Cake lifting the morale, the next bit might have been quite a struggle.

thumb_IMG_3880_1024.jpg
Following the fenceposts

At summit of Carn Mairg, the weather turned slightly (it had been cracking all day) with some heavier cloud kicking in. We decided to head down the steep slope towards Creag Mhor and get the circulation going again.

By this point, it was starting to feel like a long day. Still, we plodded on and soon were approaching the summit of Creag Mhor.

thumb_IMG_3883_1024.jpg
Towards the last one!

Before today, the most we'd ever climbed in a day had been two munros, so this felt like a huge sense of achievement when we reached the summit of Creag Mhor. I say achievement although probably 50% achievement and 50% absolutely knackered is more accurate.

thumb_IMG_3885_1024.jpg
Done!

All in all, a challenging but cracking day on the hills. Very glad to have bagged four, we set off back down the straightforward route to the car, resisting the urge to kiss the tarmac at the carpark when we got there.
harkinchristopher
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Re: Glen Lyon Big 4

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:11 am

Well done on a cracking day out and some nice pics :clap: :clap:

I really enjoyed the Glen Lyon hills, although I think I did them in sweaty summer sunshine. I definitely must return to repeat these 4.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland