walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

250 and bombarded with snowballs - WH Meet

250 and bombarded with snowballs - WH Meet

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 09/04/2016

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1145m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was part of the WH meet where Gairloch was the basecamp. After many discussions trying to decide which hills were on the menu, on here and Facebook. The final decision as usual was based on the weather forecast.
For me, my main targets for the meet on Friday & Saturday were An Teallach and then Slioch. As Friday looked like being the better day, An Teallach was tackled, the WR for that will be done by one of the other participants. So as Saturday looked like doom and gloom at the beginning of the week, as the week progressed things were looking up.
The volunteers for this little outing were Gill C, Callander Girl, PollyH33, mg1976, Parminder, Old Danensian & Dooterbang, the timings were based on Dooterbangs "hot off the press" forecast which promised an improvement at 1222 exactly. This was one of the themes that spurred us on whilst we were paddling through puddles and trying to locate any/the path :lol:
The plan was to follow (or try to follow) the WH route, more of that later.
We mustered at the start point and were soon on our way, waterproofs and hoods up were the order of the day. I would imagine that the path that takes you along the north side of Loch Maree is normally pretty good with the occasional tiny burn to cross, unlike what we had enjoy :D

Image Eager to be photographed, note the cloud base

Image The gang

Image Take 2, now colour co-ordinated

Image Plenty of water

The walk along the north side of the Loch takes about an hour, then the real work begins with a gradual uphill pull. The path was easy to follow initially, but as we gained height we encountered the overnight dumping of snow.

Image No shortage of water features

Image Looking back, still drizzly

Image Lynne making use of one the numerous stops to put her gaiters on the right legs. Parminder looking impressed :lol:

Image Martin always looking forward a suitable photo opportunity :lol:

Image Parminder planning where to plonk his feet

Image Looking quite pleased with himself

Image Pauline opting for the non technical approach

Image A sneaky peek at some higher scenery

As we gained height it wasn't long before we met the overnight dumping of snow and the obvious problem of navigation as the path was covered. So we got our heads together and using Nigel's map and the WH GPS route we came up with a plan of what direction we should head. The snow was very soft and as it was lying on very damp ground, was very slippy :roll:

Image Follow the leader

Image Pauline living the dream

Image Parminder striding out

After plodding uphill we then reached the twin lochans on a relatively flat area and this was time to stop for a bite to eat and then a bit of fun. Martin and Paul were challenged to try and get onto a wee island in one of the lochans, the next set of photo's are action shots 8)

Image Martin & Paul heading out

Image Fun over

The rest of the gang decided that the crossing looked easy so everyone else took the plunge, not literally.

Image One pole Nigel

After the fun and games it was time to put another layer on and then the serious uphill climbing begins 8)

Image Looking back down on the lochan

Image Going up

Image Almost like a black and white photo

Image First false summit

After re-grouping there is a bit of descending before the final push up to the real summit.

Image Nigel rushing to the summit

Image Mission accomplished Nigel

Image Brief view

Once we had taken our own photo's, Paul then produced his dinky little tripod for us to share :wink:

Image Technical stuff

Image The end result

Image Gill obviously enjoying my 'punishment'

Now onto the descent, as we reached the earlier cairn we met up with John & Lee who opted for a lie-in to maximise the weather forecast :lol: They would catch us up on the lower slopes and join us all the way back to the car - great company :wink: Nigel & Paul decided to head off downhill as Nigel was driving straight back home to Ayrshire, that makes it a really long day :wink:
Once we reached the lochan, the path downhill was obvious, to think about 2 hours earlier that had been covered in snow :o

Image Looking back uphill, snow very patchy

Image Paul & Nigel zoomed

Image Looking back

Image What a corrie

Image Zoomed, what a view

Image Looking back

Image Lynne religiously sticking to the path

The walk back along the flat track seemed to be so much quicker, possibly because it was dry and after 9 and a half hours we were back at the car park. At least 2 hours were spent enjoying the surroundings and not making any progress :lol: I was hoping that I would reach the 250 landmark on An Teallach (Sgurr Fiona), but Slioch is a worthy substitute.
Another fantastic day in great company and sincere thanks to the rest of the gang for making Slioch such a memorable hill :clap: :clap: Two more WR's to complete Moruisg and Fionn Beinn, hopefully over the next few days :wink:
The weekend was certainly a great help in my compleation quest, the weather will need to start behaving :lol:
Point of interest - the last time I wore my waterproof trousers before Thursday, the last WH meet at Torridon :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: 250 and bombarded with snowballs - WH Meet

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:51 pm

Well done Martin first up with a weekend report, congratulations on hitting the 250 mark not long to go now!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Jaxter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:13 pm

Looks like it was even wetter for you guys!! We were up there on Sunday and it was fairly soggy then :lol: I've spent all day writing walk reports too...4 days is quite of lot to write! :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:43 am

Great stuff! I wondered how your group did on that steep slope. It was quite snowy as for April, and soggy, too. Fuar Tholl was just as white higher up and our group also had fun crossing the river.

Now I've tasted the WH meet climate and I can't wait for more :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:07 am

Cracking choice of hill for the meet up. Shame the weather didn't join the occasion, but despite that it looks like you all had a fab time!

Excellent :clap:
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby PeteR » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:30 pm

Well done Martin. You'll need to return on a clear day and do the walk round the ridge, with views to Fisherfield. Well worth it.

Tomsie and I were on our little Graham looking back across to Slioch and wondering how you were all getting on. If I get round to it I might even post a report or two myself from this meet.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Tomsie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:13 pm

Well done on the 250 Martin, didn't loke too nice from our hill and that was boggy. An Teallach definitely one for a ckear day
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby old danensian » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:57 pm

Nice one Martin - and appropriate you should get the write-up to celebrate your 250.

In the car on the way there I thought "this is going to be a three line, three photo report":

It was raining when we started (puddles on track);
We saw sod all at the top (cairn in clag)
It was still raining when we got down (even bigger puddles on the return).

Instead, it was Slioch: Carpe Diem.

We seized the day and were richly rewarded for it in the end - thanks to all for making it a great day.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby dooterbang » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:13 pm

Didn't realize how witty Mr Fife Flyer could be :wink:

Awesome report, really enjoyed that. Had me smiling lots :)

Brilliant photos that really capture the steepness in parts, and all the fun we had.

A fantastic day in the hills...looking forward to more of the same with the senior crew :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby ere1 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:24 pm

You are my heroes! :clap:
ere1
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:7

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:10 pm

Well done for reaching 250 :clap: !! Cracking report with some really enjoyable photos! Enjoyed reading it :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Great report Martin. All that snow was gone except from around the summit the next day.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:20 pm

Well done Pathfinder general on your funny (ha ha not weird- although it could have either way!) report. :clap:

A truly memorable day out on a massive big mountain but soooo much fun.

One thing's for sure Martin you won't forget your 250th munro!

Hope to see you on a hill very very soon.

PS It should have been me!!!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby martin.h » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:17 pm

Nice one Martin, it looks like you all had some good fun up there and a great mountain to be your 250th, shame about the clag tho', it's well worth doing again on a nice day.
See you this year, hopefully. :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby GillC » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Only just catching up with the reports,,,fab job Mr B,,really enjoyed reading that,,plenty to smile about thinking back to a fab day,,and yes,,I THOROUGHLY enjoyed your summit punishment lol :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland