walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carlin's Cairn, Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells

Carlin's Cairn, Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells

Postby SecretSquirrel » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:45 pm

Route description: Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells, Forrest Lodge

Corbetts included on this walk: Corserine

Donalds included on this walk: Carlin's Cairn, Corserine, Meikle Millyea, Milldown

Date walked: 11/04/2016

Time taken: 7.75 hours

Distance: 19.31 km

Ascent: 1216m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

CorserineAndTheRhinnsOfKells.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cracking sunny day doing an anti-clockwise route of the Rhinns of Kells with Carlin's Ciarn tagged on. We had a little delay on the drive in ... A herd of cows and calves had commandeered the road next to some hay feeders. The calves were relatively quickly persuaded to move but there was one stubborn cow lying on the road that took an age to convince to move. Once on its feet, it then very vocally bellowed its disapproval at being moved :lol:

I had read a lot of reports that suggested the walk through the forestry was a bit mucky and unpleasant. However, the estate seems to be doing a lot of land work building new tracks and redirecting burns - presumably to aid in their natural energy production. The result being most of the forest walk, once past the barren harvested areas, was pretty pleasant.

Ther walk up corserine was accompanied with lots of rustling noises from the grass. The source was revealed when we spotted Common Lizards scurrying away to hide. They were far to fast for photographs! Reaching the summit of Corserine the decision was made for a quick out and back to Carlin's Cairn, which had excellent views out to the Arran hills.

Once back on Corserine the walk South across the Rhinns of Kells had awesome views to the West across Dungeon Hill, Merrick, etc. It was easy going all the way across the ridge, but the rockier ground made the walk more interesting. With the sun bright and warm and the wind having a bit of a bite, a dry stone wall near the summit of Milldown, made a great lunch spot. In the lea of the wall and the sun high above, it was a perfect, peaceful spot and if time had allowed we could have chilled there all afternoon.

From Milldown there is a short sharp descent to a wet bealach and Lochans before the reascent to Meikle Mellyea. I knew the trig and cairn we reached were not considered the true top, which lay 300m SW, but as time was getting tight we decided the Northern top (with the OS spot height of 746m) would do for today.

The route down Meikle Mellyea continued to follow the dry stone wall. The descent was straightforward, although wet and boggy ground needed care on the steeper sections. Once back at the forestry, it was a short ramble through the pines to reach the road back to the car park.

I can well imagine on a rainy, calggy day, these hills would be a miserable, lonely place to be, but on a day like we had, these are cracking little hills with smashing views :D

Corserine beyond the devastation of forestry harvest

Craigbrock and North Gairy

View to North Gairy while ascending Craigrine

Looking back to Galloway Forest Park

The route up Craigrine to Corserine

Corserine summit trig

Merrick

Carlin's Cairn from the summit of Corserine

Approaching Carlin's Cairn

Looking back to Polmaddy Gairy on the NE side of Corserine

Carlin's Cairn Summmit

Summit view of Dungeon Hill, Merrick and Mulwarchar

Heading back up Corserine

The Rhinns of Kells and Loch Dungeon

Millfire

Dungeon Hill and Merrick behind, still stealing the lime light

Craignaw looking impressive

Looking down on Loch Dungeon from Millfire

Milldown summit cairn looking back to Corserine

The largest of the Auchniebut Lochans

Following the old dry stone wall to Meikle Millyea

Summit cairn on Meikle Millyea's northern top

Zoom to the snow capped hills of the Lake District

Lochs Harrow, Minnoch and Dungeon

Following the dry stone wall down off Meikle Millyea

Last look back at the Meikle Lump before heading back into the forestry
Last edited by SecretSquirrel on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Re: Carlin's Cairn, Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:13 am

That looked good :thumbup: - cracking day to enjoy this as there's some great walking country down here. Good idea to add Carlin's Cairn as it seems less of a walk from this side rather than the other. Meikle Millyea's cairn and trig can be offputting as the real summit is at a wee cairn about 400m to the SW although when you're there it doesn't look much higher :roll: - cheers :)

PS Noticed you had Millfore in the hills list but wondered if that was right ?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:46 am

rockhopper wrote:That looked good :thumbup: - cracking day to enjoy this as there's some great walking country down here. Good idea to add Carlin's Cairn as it seems less of a walk from this side rather than the other. Meikle Millyea's cairn and trig can be offputting as the real summit is at a wee cairn about 400m to the SW although when you're there it doesn't look much higher :roll: - cheers :)

PS Noticed you had Millfore in the hills list but wondered if that was right ?

Thanks RockHopper. I'm happy to trick off Meikle Millyea for now, but I know it will niggle away at me until I return :lol:

And nope ... as you rightly suspect we didn't do Millfore in that round :wink: I had selected it earlier in error and thought I had fixed the problem by unticking it. Seems I forgot to untick the Graham *and* the Donald :roll: Fixed now.

SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:52 am

Brings back good memories. I did this exact round - in almost identical conditions at pretty much the same time of year - a few years ago.

Lovely,quiet hills.

Thanks for sharing. :)
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:00 pm

Broggy1 wrote:Brings back good memories. I did this exact round - in almost identical conditions at pretty much the same time of year - a few years ago.

Lovely,quiet hills.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks Broggy. I had actually read your report while planning this walk. Your pointing out the Fir tree next to the stone bridge was very helpful! Thanks :D

The tree now ...

SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:05 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote: I'm happy to trick off Meikle Millyea for now, but I know it will niggle away at me until I return :lol: :
oops :oops: apologies :think: didn't mean to cause you consternation - odd thing is that the large cairn and trig look higher than from the wee cairn - can't be much in it at all - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland