walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Venue

Ben Venue

Postby ParresaAmirsedghi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:35 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Loch Achray

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 29/03/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So it all started off fairly straightforwardly. We parked at the carpark by Loch Achray and began walking the signed pathway (bearing in my mind, my hill bagging experience is minimal and my fitness is lower than minimal...), so i was happy. There were signs. I probably wasn't going to get lost, snowed under, frozen or whatever.
Anyway, we passed over the boardwalk, through the forestry area, diagonally over the forestry track and on through the hole in the fence...
Then the signs stopped and so did any path, so it seemed. And all turned to bog.. Fab - the one day i didn't wear my hill walking boots and opted for trainers instead ( I wont be making that mistake again)
I had a moment of mild panic when I couldn't make out any obvious track but then i found a pretty waterfall and humped over heather and mud to take some pictures of it, whilst the husband dutifully waited and looked at his watch (several times..)
So on we carried, despite not seeing any clear route but we managed to get up round and in to the col and found the cairn (hurrah! We weren't totally lost after all) we chose to have our lunch stop here as it was slightly sheltered and the views were magnificent (I think this part looks over Loch Katrine but correct me if i'm wrong).
The next part was also a bit of a guess as to where we should scramble up and which way would be the easiest for our dog- turns out that she is as nimble as a mountain goat anyway and we needn't have worried (look out for the goat herds by the way!)
We chose a relatively safe route with a bit of rock scrambling on hands (maybe it was just me on my hands...) and after about three or four separate scrambles, we reached the trig point. Absolutely delighted with myself and overwhelmed by the views. The hill bagging bug has definitely set in....!

ParresaAmirsedghi

Munros:93   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3

Re: Ben Venue

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:42 am

Looks like you had some great views from the top :thumbup:

Funny you mention the waterfall. When doing this route, I remember, at the top of a small corrie, reaching an area of slabby rocks and being unsure which direction to head next. It was the sound of running water that got me moving and heading in the right direction across a wet section, picking up the path towards the bealach and cairn.

ps ... did you also visit the cairn at the 729m spot?
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Re: Ben Venue

Postby ParresaAmirsedghi » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:19 pm

Oh it was absolutely stunning and such a relief to actually be able to SEE the view as with previous hills where the fog has just got in the way! I'm a sucker for a waterfall photo but I really did think I was lost at that point! (Slight over reaction as it turns out...)
I'm not sure about the other cairn, to be honest... I was just hellbent on getting to the top by that point I think! :lol:
ParresaAmirsedghi

Munros:93   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland