walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

One for the bog trot fanatics - WH Meet

One for the bog trot fanatics - WH Meet

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Route description: Moruisg and Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Munros included on this walk: Moruisg

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Date walked: 07/04/2016

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12.7 km

Ascent: 1104m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

To kick off the WH meet at Gairloch early and make the most of the location, Martin (mg1976) offered to head NW early too. After a few emails we had agreed to meet up with Karen & David in Perth at 7am, we would then endure the camera's on the A9 and pay Dobbie's in Inverness a visit for breakfast. I was planning to have the full 10 items as that would then keep me going all day :lol: As Dobbies doesn't open till 9am there was no rush, which was just as well :lol:
Karen and David were planning to tackle one of the smaller hills, whereas Martin was keen to increase his Munro tally and considering he hasn't been anywhere near a Munro for ages. He has been jogging round York in an effort to get/stay fit and it seemed to pay off as he managed 3 tough days, which included 3 Munro's and a Corbett :clap: :clap:
We arrived at the layby on the A890 just along from Achnasheen and set off at 11am. Things didn't look too promising as the cloud was rather low and it was drizzling. Having read the WH walk description I was expecting the ground to be boggy and I had already decided to wear my old boots. They are kind of expendable and to give you some idea of how wet they got, they were in the drying room at the hostel from Thursday afternoon through till Sunday morning and they were still damp.
For the record I would like to report this was the first time I had utilised my waterproof trousers since the last WH meet at Torridon :lol: :lol:

Image Even the layby has a puddle :(

Image Low cloud and drizzle

Image Path is a burn, apologies for the spots on the lens

I won't describe the route as that is already well documented and we just about managed to follow the path uphill to Moruisg. The descent off Sgurr nan Ceannaichean didn't quite go to plan, more of that later :lol:
We trudged uphill following the path, stopping occasionally, in fact quite a few times - not to admire the views or take pictures, but for the obvious - answers on a postcard to York :lol: :lol:

Image Brief view before we entered the cloud

Image Considering the amount of underfoot dampness, there weren't many water features on the ascent of Moruisg, so you will have to makedo with this :lol:

We were both surprised at how quickly and easily we reached the summit of Moruisg, no wonder we had been huffing and puffing a wee bit :wink: We did encounter a bit of soft slushy snow just before the summit, but it didn't hamper our progress 8)

Image Mr G doesn't look overly like he is overheating

Photo for "dooterbang" as he was looking for a freezer in Gairloch :lol: :lol:

Image Demonstrates the temperature

Image Summit shot, apologies for the spots on the lens (again)

We didn't hang around on the summit of Moruisg any longer than we had to, so it was time to start descending down towards the bealach and what turned out to be the star of the show Sgurr nan Ceannaichean 8)

Image Martin always one for a suitable poser photo, volunteered to go off piste 8)

Image Almost a view, probably impressive on a good day

Image A local

Image Bealach

Image Posing time

Image As above

The ascent up the Corbett was by far and away the toughest part of the walk, mainly because of the snow conditions. We were able to follow the path uphill, but because of the snow conditions I was taking two steps forward and one back :lol: I didn't mention earlier that my old boots that are over 15 years old and are devoid of tread and that did make going up much more difficult than it should have been :lol: Whilst struggling uphill, I was also thinking ahead and dreading the descent and had visions of my backside being tested :roll:

Image Quick photo whilst we had a view

Image Different pose in a different location

Due to the lack of photo opportunities on Sgurr nan Ceannaichean because of the conditions, weather and underfoot, there aren't any. It was freezing cold on the summit and my camera was in my rucksack and the background would be the same shade of grey as on Moruisg :(

Image Just to prove there was some white stuff

Image Looking NE

Only took 2 photo's on the descent (above) :( We picked up the path downhill and headed down the shoulder, for some reason or other we either lost the path or it disappeared, I would like to think the latter :lol: We decided to head down towards the deer fence, but didn't know how we were going to clamber over it :roll:
When we reached the fence, I opted for the up and over method of deer fence scaling, Martin on the other hand decided to be adventurous and squeeze through a 1 foot square hole that someone had created by bending back the wire. I really wish I had extracted the camera and captured the struggle on film :roll:
Fun was now over, we headed east towards the burn that could be heard and it did sound like we could be in for a challenge.
When we reached the burn we had two options, head upstream or downstream to search for a suitable crossing point and you won't be surprised we picked the wrong one :roll: Rather than put our legs through going back uphill we headed down stream :( Unfortunately we have no photographic evidence about how fast flowing the burn was and picking a crossing point became problematic :roll:
We continued downhill battling with the undergrowth, clambering up and down the steep sides of the burn, the annoying thing was we could see the path which looked very appealing following the burn downhill :roll:
Eventually Martin made an executive decision that he was going take a leap across the torrent onto a large damp flatish rock, there was definitely no wimping out as he threw his poles onto the other side and then made it look very easy. My turn - eeek, I threw my poles across and went for it. I knew it was going to be 'interesting' as mentioned earlier, my boots are devoid of tread and I found it difficult to retain my balance, thankfully Martin grabbed hold of me and pulled me to safety 8)
All we had to do now was follow the path which eventually took us back to the cars. By now both of us had rather wet feet and I got to the point where I couldn't care less about standing water/puddles, splish splash :lol:
After 5 and half hours we were back at the cars removing our boots, we were both pleased with how well we had done especially as we spent about 30mins finding a crossing point :lol:
A huge thanks to Martin for his company, as always plenty of banter. We both agreed that Moruisg is a hill that won't be on our radar for a very long time :(

Image Rather wet boots

Next hill An Teallach 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: One for the bog trot fanatics - WH Meet

Postby Jaxter » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:00 pm

:lol: :lol: Oh river crossings....so glad it's not just me!!! Although I would have ended up falling in as I doubt Hugh would have caught me :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland