walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Cracking Gairloch Corbetts, but a big day all the same.

Two Cracking Gairloch Corbetts, but a big day all the same.

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:51 am

Route description: Baosbheinn, near Gairloch

Corbetts included on this walk: Baosbheinn, Beinn an Eoin

Date walked: 08/04/2016

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 26.3 km

Ascent: 1823m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday was always going to be the best weather day on the WH April meet at Gairloch so these two Biggies with an extremely long walk in were identified to improve the ever growing Corbett count. Other WHers were to be heading in this direction with different starting times Dean and Dave (Kaiserstein) were to be starting off at 0600 hrs with PeteR about an hour after. Charlie (Trekker53) and his dog Jet, hoping to complete her first Corbett) Theresa (Mountainthyme) and myself taking a later start about 0830 hrs from the starting point near the green shed on the road which is at present being widened by Highland Council, KeithS who was in the area earlier in the week had kindly had a word with the guys working to warn them of the need for parking spaces to accommodate the WHsquad and they had obliged by leaving an area clear for the cars.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

16.JPG
Sunrise from the Gairloch Hostel, looks like the weather forecasters got it right, bring it on!
17.JPG
Early starters leave the hostel for the hills
18.JPG
Some have camped an the excellent campsite just around the corner from the hostel, 5 star according to those who stayed there
18a.JPG
At the start from the parking bay near the green hut which was being used by the guys working on the widening of the road
18b.JPG
On the track heading SE
19.JPG
Charlie says it's way over there, a long way still to go
19a.JPG
Track following the burn an outflow of the Loch
20.JPG
Jet is first over the stepping stones, in fact he went over a few times, he seemed to enjoy the thrill of it
21.JPG
Quickly followed by Trekker53. I was our original intention to climb Baosbheinn first but as we could not see a dry way of getting over the burn we headed to the NE side of Beinn an Eoin and climbed up near Coire Loch na Geala where there are some rocky outcrops to pass but there is a way up passing the 682m point on the East side to get to the extremely long summit ridge where the underfoot conditions improve
22.JPG
Jet posing on every high point she could find
22b.JPG
Looking over Lochna h-Oidhche and towards our second Corbett Baosbheinn
23.JPG
Looking back along the ridge we had come
24.JPG
Who's this trying to get on the act? none other than Kiaserstein (Dave) He and Dean had done Baosbheinn first and climbed up the very steep West side.
25.JPG
Dean and Dave looking tired having just climbed up from Poca Buidhe at the waterside. It had been a very steep climb and they had suggested if we were to continue that it maybe better to head back to the low point of the ridge to climb down to the track at the waters edge
25a.JPG
It was on our way down we came across Evie Karen and Dave who were not to be doing the complete circuit but to take in the summit of Beinn an Eion then return
25b.JPG
Theresa heading down the gully towards the Loch, some wet sections but nothing too difficult and did not take long
26.JPG
We met Pete who coming along the waterside track towards us and although he was suffering with sore feet we managed to persuade him to follow Dean and Dave's route up the steep West side
26a.JPG
Estate bothy at Poca Buidhe now closed because of damage caused, an ideal place for a bite to eat with a bench sitting outside After crossing a pretty wet area at the head of the loch it was just a hard climb up to Ceann Beag at 705m then another drop to an unnamed top before another descent and climb to the actual summit 875m
27.JPG
Beinn Eighe in the background
28.JPG
Beinn Alligin in the background
29.JPG
The second summit and guess who got there first and did her usual stretched out summit pose. From the summit it was just a case of dropping down to the bealach and heading off the NE shoulder towards Allt an Reidh-choire which latterly was very steep and slippy with still snow patches here and there then heading towards the river crossing. Theresa luckily saw a large boulder with a pile of stones which suggested this was the place to cross, indeed it was. After crossing without getting our feet wet it was just a matter of re tracking out steps back to the car on the in places very rough path. A very long hard but wonderful day on the hills.
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Two Cracking Gairloch Corbetts, but a big day all the sa

Postby xslawekx » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:19 am

Well done you guys :clap:

Although I didn't come to the WH meet, I happened to be walking Baosbheinn on the same day as you, and I believe I walked past Dean and Dave as they were descending Ceann Beag...

Stunning area this :)
xslawekx

Munros:282   Corbetts:211
Fionas:169   Donalds:57
Sub 2000:335   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:8   Islands:13

Postby Jaxter » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:18 am

Stunning pictures! I look forward to climbing these myself, expect you'll be on your second round by then :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby dooterbang » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:23 am

Epic walk Rod - Well Done....and you still had energy that evening to climb those big tables and do a little dance :wink: :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Tomsie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:42 am

Well done Rod big day, if I had of known Corbett days were this long might have started a round :lol: :lol:
Good to see you again. :)
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:49 am

xslawekx wrote:Well done you guys :clap:

Although I didn't come to the WH meet, I happened to be walking Baosbheinn on the same day as you, and I believe I walked past Dean and Dave as they were descending Ceann Beag...

Stunning area this :)

Hi there xslawekx, I guess we followed you around all day then :lol: A superb remote unspoilt area with no litter. Glad the weather stayed nice for us all or there might have been a few wet feet getting over the rivers :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:51 am

Jaxter wrote:Stunning pictures! I look forward to climbing these myself, expect you'll be on your second round by then :lol:

Hi jaxter, stunning day for it, it could not have gone better. All in all a fantastic weekend even though I say so myself :lol: It was fabulous meeting many new friends and old, roll on the next one :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:54 am

dooterbang wrote:Epic walk Rod - Well Done....and you still had energy that evening to climb those big tables and do a little dance :wink: :D

Hi Paul, what a fabulous weekend, with stunning hills to climb, Munros, Corbetts all fantastic, and wonderful company to boot, cannot beat a WH meet :wink: :D :D Well lets face it you just make your own entertainment don't you :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:10 am

Tomsie wrote:Well done Rod big day, if I had of known Corbett days were this long might have started a round :lol: :lol:
Good to see you again. :)

Ta there Tomsie, the Corbetts I have been doing lately have had some of the longest summit ridges and walk ins I have ever done, hard work especially in the winter. It was good to meet with you again unfortunately not a lot of time to talk to you as on the Friday night had all the form filling in for firemaster etc. anyway all went very well, lots of new faces again to get around. I mislaid my bottle of whisky I brought for the meet in fact I couldn't find it, I'm still searching. I must be due a few people a dram. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby trekker53 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:57 am

Rod,
Good report, enjoyed once again being in your's and Theresa's company. A fine day and I think Jet enjoyed herself. Think you gave her a sex change in your report. Must be all that dramming on Saturday night.
You'll have to give lessons on those dancing moves on tables. Just shows you're never to old to swing. :lol: :lol:
A great weekend was had.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:28 am

trekker53 wrote:Rod,
Good report, enjoyed once again being in your's and Theresa's company. A fine day and I think Jet enjoyed herself. Think you gave her a sex change in your report. Must be all that dramming on Saturday night.
You'll have to give lessons on those dancing moves on tables. Just shows you're never to old to swing. :lol: :lol:
A great weekend was had.

Well spotted Charlie, he? At the stepping stones, guess I'll just leave it now you have mentioned it. Dance lessons, don't think so, but great night with fabulous company, I think I needed a good laugh, anyhow it gave you lot a laugh as well, ha ha.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby jelena » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:53 pm

As always your report is of the first class!!!Enjoyed very much, and a smile on my face as I remember all this weekend again and again(particularly dancing :clap: :wink: )
jelena
Mountaineer

Munros:30   Corbetts:19
Donalds:3

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:04 pm

jelena wrote:As always your report is of the first class!!!Enjoyed very much, and a smile on my face as I remember all this weekend again and again(particularly dancing :clap: :wink: )

A great weekend Jelena, something I needed very much. Thanks for your company, and many thanks for your two bowls of fish soup, maybe get you dancing at the next one, ha ha :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby jelena » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:14 pm

A great weekend Jelena, something I needed very much. Thanks for your company, and many thanks for your two bowls of fish soup, maybe get you dancing at the next one, ha ha :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Taking that as an offer :D
jelena
Mountaineer

Munros:30   Corbetts:19
Donalds:3

Postby PeteR » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:20 pm

Nice one Rod. Two great hills. Thanks again to you and Theresa persuading me to take on that steep climb :shock: One of the steepest I can recall.

As for that walk out......glad I won't have to return.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland