walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fuar Tholl, another wonderful winter day on a superb hill

Fuar Tholl, another wonderful winter day on a superb hill

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:25 pm

Route description: Fuar Tholl

Corbetts included on this walk: Fuar Tholl

Date walked: 09/04/2016

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 17.16 km

Ascent: 1044m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was be my last walk of the WH meet weekend and apart from my Munro Compleation would also be the largest group of people I have walked with on a hill , and what a hill it turned out to be, Fuar Tholl a superb Corbett with once again a long and winding summit ridge with a few false tops. With all the cars parked up at the roadside adjacent to Achnashellach Station on theA890

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

30.JPG
Group photo at the roadside before the off, closing the road off temporary
30a.JPG
After crossing the railway at the station we followed the good track through the woods
30b.JPG
Looking ahead along the track to be followed
30c.JPG
Mountainthyme just walking through the standing water from the overnight rain. After a short walk from the railway and cutting back on yourself left when another track is found, then following this until you find a small cairn on your left which identifies a path towards a wooden gate, turn right at gate and walk up adjacent to the water through the woods
31.JPG
After leaving the woods behind looking towards the railway
32.JPG
Further up on the path
33.JPG
Soon at the high point another cairn is found on your left this identifies another path which takes you to the river crossing over the River Lair. Martin using his newly purchased overboot wellies and finding the other side successfully. I tried to cross slightly further on and got as far as a central island but the flow was too fast at the far bank and retreated having seen Pat who had managed to get most of the other group over although when myself and Nathan arrived we noticed a few were drying off their feet, Nathan gave it a speedy rush which appeared to be very successful, my approach was more cautious but the end result was dry feet, good job done
34.JPG
Climbing up the path just getting to the snowline
35.JPG
Jelena and Iryna posing in front of Foar Tholl buttress
36.JPG
Group photo with Pat missing , oops sorry
36a.JPG
Pat's in this one though
36b.JPG
Heading off the path now just passing the wee lochan on our left and heading SE up Creag Mainnrichean
36c.JPG
Coming up to the very slippy and steep section with very loose rock, nothing to hold onto
36d.JPG
On a flatter area time to have a wee natter re direction and get a breather
36e.JPG
On way to the false summit
36f.JPG
The final climb in the distance up on the left
37.JPG
Happy summit group
37a.JPG
Pat with the summit ridge behind the way we had come
38.JPG
Theresa on the same spot, very happy as she had touched the cairn first
39.JPG
Jelena with Iryna who was on her first WH meet as was Martin (Jeremiah Johnston)
40.JPG
Heading off the snow clad summit trying to avoid the very steep ascent section
41.JPG
Five of us skirted around the West side to pick up the path between Fuar Tholl and the Munro Sgorr Ruadh in the background was the hills some of us climbed on the Thursday Maol Chean-dearg and the Corbett An Ruadh -stac
42.JPG
The Rodmiester and Iryna with the Corbett An Ruadh-stac in the background
44.JPG
Pat and Nathan skirting around having found a feint path in the loose stones
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Fuar Tholl, another wonderful winter day on a superb hil

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Some more added photographs
45.JPG
Buttress of Fuar Tholl on the return journey
46.JPG
Al the morning snow now melted from Beinn Liath Bheag with Loch Coire Lair in the foreground
47.JPG
Jelena decided to go for it at the river crossing this time
48.JPG
Enjoying a well earned meal in Gairloch
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:57 pm

Happy times! :D :D :D

There were suggestions somewhere in the group, that we should have left you on that little river island :wink: :lol: :lol:

We should be able to come to the whole length of the summer meet, Kevin has booked that particular week off, and fingers crossed weather is a bit less wet :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:07 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Happy times! :D :D :D

There were suggestions somewhere in the group, that we should have left you on that little river island :wink: :lol: :lol:

We should be able to come to the whole length of the summer meet, Kevin has booked that particular week off, and fingers crossed weather is a bit less wet :D

Now let me guess where that suggestion might have come from :lol: :lol: Looking forward to the July meet lots of Corbetts still to do up there.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:34 pm

Another cracking hill, tough going at bits :(

Think youre time is wrong!!!!
The A team took 7hours 30 mins and Your B Team took 8 hours 30.
Andy, Martin and I had finished 3 courses by the time yous arrived at the pub :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:17 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Another cracking hill, tough going at bits :(

Think youre time is wrong!!!!
The A team took 7hours 30 mins and Your B Team took 8 hours 30.
Andy, Martin and I had finished 3 courses by the time yous arrived at the pub :D

Fantastic hill, great company. Your right about the time, I did not check it when we came off the hill, I will amend it to keep the record straight. We got some wonderful views over the Thursday hills we did, worth the extra hour, superb, not only that we had the extra bonus or the river crossing again, lol.
The Rodmiester
Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland