walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ladhar Bheinn , bracken fairly benign

Ladhar Bheinn , bracken fairly benign

Postby ridgerunner » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:34 pm

Route description: Ladhar Bheinn from Inverie, Knoydart

Munros included on this walk: Ladhar Bheinn

Date walked: 13/04/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1399m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Anti clockwise circuit following the WH route.

larven - Copy.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Good start to the day meeting a fellow Walkhighlander on the fast ferry across from Mallaig. However we were following different routes.
Having scanned the WH reports for this route , there was one common feature-a struggle up the pathless , boggy and bracken covered slope to access the ridge at Mam Suidheig.
P1000900.JPG
the col at Mam Suidheig on extreme left

I dread to think what its like in summer , as even in april ,when most bracken should have been flattened, the bracken here altho folded over about one foot from the ground , remained incredibly stiff and repeatedly jagged into my chins like a form of Chinese torture. Also the grass is quite tussocky lower down and there is also some low growing shrub that catches the feet.
However on the plus side, the ground was much drier than usual and it was a brilliant day and i could see where i was going. So i gained the ridge in just under 2 hours from setting off. Loooking at my enclosed garmin Track , i seemed to have taken a more direct route than the WH route but there were lots of small sections of path heading all over the place that werew hard to follow.
P1000902.JPG
looking down to Loch an Dubh-Lochain from Maam Suidheig

P1000903.JPG
looking west along the ridge from MamSuidheig. Rum in the distance

P1000905.JPG
looking east , Sgurr na Ciche in distance kissing the clouds

Once on the ridge there was an obvious easy to follow path , leading up to the split in the ridge as seen in the top of the following photo.
P1000906.JPG
The straight path in the cleft bypassing spot height 636

P1000908.JPG
path goes down the middle of the split

P1000909.JPG
looking back at the split in the ridge

Very easy going up and down along the ridge led me to the small cairn at height 849 where route meets the path from Barrisdale.
P1000910.JPG
looking NW to summit of Ladhar Bheinn

P1000911.JPG
looking SW from the col. Eigg centre distance , Rum right distance

Steady pull up to the the first of the false top cairns to be surprised by the amount of snow on the north side of the ridge.
P1000915.JPG
Skye right distance

P1000916.JPG
from first cairn ,looking east along Loch Hourn

Heading towards the broken trig point it looked like a very large bird perched there.
P1000918.JPG
Trig point. Looking back along the ridge

Good spot for lunch . I thought the long descent down the Coire Garbh would be very boggy lower down but it was nearly all dry and the path easy to follow.
I knew that once i reached the land rover track at the bottom there was a steady rise but i had not realised it was 40 minutes worth of plodding straight into the sun. Finally broke out of the forest to see Loch Nevis again.
P1000920.JPG
Finally downhill again

Track leads back to the Old Forge Inn where i had a pleasant 3 hour spell of rehydration whilst sitting in the sun waiting for the last ferry back to Mallaig , to be rejoined by London Walker.
Nice touch the beer at the Forge brewed by the Ness brewery was called RemoteNess
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland