walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 Go to Beinn a'Ghlo

3 Go to Beinn a'Ghlo

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:56 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 17/04/2016

Time taken: 6.05 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1250m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having checked all the forecast most agreed that it would be clear east ot the A9 till lunch time
so alarm set for 4am I was up and away by 4.15am had to return home after 6 miles into my journey
I had forgot both my camera and my phone :crazy:
The journey up to Blair Atholl was 2 hours and I was ready for the walk at 7am
setting out there was a light cold wind blowing boy was this to change and the tops looked clear

DSC03874.JPG
View from the start

DSC03875.JPG
Carn Laith

DSC03876.JPG
Quickly gaining height

The ascent I found nice and gradual and about an hour after setting off we were on the summit
of the first of the day Carn Laith ,
Time now aswell to get my jacket out as the wind had picked up and it was bitter cold
so I took a couple of pics and moved on towards Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain

DSC03879.JPG
Carn Laith summit

DSC03880.JPG
Path along to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain

DSC03884.JPG
A view lol from the bealach between Carn Laith and Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain

On the ascent to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain the snow now was coming in horizontal
and once into the snowline the spindrift was being whipped up as well
I imagine this would be a very nice walk with views ,but even in the conditions
I was enjoying my day out ,
This is a straight forward easy ascent and agian the summit is reached easily

DSC03885.JPG
summit picture on Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain

Now the snow and wind really got going and navigation had to be correct as visabilty was zero
I also put the dogs on leads as I did not want them lost in these conditions

Stopping a few times to check my bearing I took the path diagonally to Carn nan Gabhar
it really was cold now as the next pic will show poor Brin he has just started to join Jake and myself
on our walks he must be thing what hes done wrong to deserve this :lol: :lol:

DSC03888.JPG
Brin looking VERY cold at the large cairn before the main summit cairn

Suddenly as we reached the summit the skies cleared and the views opened up but the wind was
not for letting up

DSC03889.JPG
Summit of Carn nan Gabhar

DSC03890.JPG

DSC03893.JPG

When I had arrived at the carpark there was 1 tent and 2 cars but I never met anyone else
whilst on the tops but I did meet 2 ladies when I was halfway on the walk back out
said hello to them and wished them a nice day and moved off
All the tops now were showing clear and the wind also had seemed to drop a bit

DSC03896.JPG

DSC03899.JPG

DSC03901.JPG

DSC03905.JPG

The path was a bit of a bogfest in places but cant complain as I had enjoyed another day in the hills
testing and cold but very rewarding
Getting back to the carpark area there was now about a dozen cars so apart from the 2 I met
the rest must have been going the clockwise route all that was left to do was wipe the dogs down
have a bite to eat and start the journey home :D :D :D
Last edited by jamesb63 on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Re: 3 Go to Beinn a'Ghlo

Postby prog99 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:45 pm

Assume this was Sunday 17th? We had a more leisurely start which meant getting the full force of the wind which really ramped up around 1ish although we at least had clear conditions.
Saw the dog prints in the snow but you'll have been well ahead of us. Hope you visited that bump past the trig point, not many footprints went that way...
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:37 pm

prog99 wrote:Assume this was Sunday 17th? We had a more leisurely start which meant getting the full force of the wind which really ramped up around 1ish although we at least had clear conditions.
Saw the dog prints in the snow but you'll have been well ahead of us. Hope you visited that bump past the trig point, not many footprints went that way...

Hi yes I did notice only 2 sets of prints heading out to the last bump
that's the luck I have for my early starts :lol: I would imagine you got good views
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Postby Jaxter » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:07 am

Glad you got some views! It's an absolutely amazing walk on a good day, definitely one of my favourites. :D

Epic early start :clap:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:51 pm

Nice trio done James, :clap: it does not look even much boggy before Carn Liath :o
My memories from there are full of deep snow, cold wind, whiteout on the 2nd Munro and frost, but enjoyable walk for end of December - my last Munros in 2014 :D
Brin looking really very cold ! :o Well done how you managed again and some nice photos :thumbup:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby jamesb63 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Nice trio done James, :clap: it does not look even much boggy before Carn Liath :o
My memories from there are full of deep snow, cold wind, whiteout on the 2nd Munro and frost, but enjoyable walk for end of December - my last Munros in 2014 :D
Brin looking really very cold ! :o Well done how you managed again and some nice photos :thumbup:

The part before Carn Laith was actually dry ,the walk out was another matter some very boggy parts
I skirted round these the dogs just go straight through :lol: :lol:
Brin must be thinking he has done something wrong to get like this :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I am sure he enjoyed it
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Postby jamesb63 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Jaxter wrote:Glad you got some views! It's an absolutely amazing walk on a good day, definitely one of my favourites. :D

Epic early start :clap:

Hi Jax I do like an early start sometimes I find nice clear mornings
other times just clag that always seems to clear on the final descent :crazy:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland