walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

West Highland Way Kit

West Highland Way Kit

Postby Grievesy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:39 am

Greetings fellow outdoor enthusiasts!

After years of having it on the bucket list the time is finally near. :clap: I don't set off until 3rd May however, I am already looking into perfecting my kit and getting it all laid out already (this is a miracle considering I've went for a 6 month stint in Afghan and only packed 24hrs before departure!!) So below is a small kit list I've thrown together but I'm looking for advice on anything else you think I should take or think I should ditch. So here goes.

Rucksack - Vango Sherpa 65L
Tent - Vango Banshee 300
Sleeping bag
Roll mat
Waterproof Jacket/Trousers
Jacket
Fleece
T-shirt x 2
Trousers x 2
Boots
Trainers
Head torch
Mossie headnet
Camelback
Wash kit/ Towel (consists of toothpaste, brush and multi use soap)
Socks x 3
Underwear x 1 (Sounds minging but I have some army issue anti microbial undies that can be worn for weeks)
Spork/Metal mug
Jet Boil
Insect Repellant
Wooly Hat/Cap
Compeed (Lots of!!)
Inflating Pillow
First aid kit (basic)
Gloves
Neck Gaiter
Lip Balm
Gerber
Flask
Baby wipes
Camera

Naturally all kit will be waterproofed in Drybags etc. I will also be carrying around 2-3 days of rations as I know I can restock on the way. My aim is to keep the weight under 15kg. If that doesn't happen the kit list will get tossed and I'll be packing my sleeping bag, roll mat, wash kit and a basher :lol:
Grievesy
Scrambler

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Re: West Highland Way Kit

Postby rgf101 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:59 am

Some thoughts...

That's a three man tent. Are you three men? You could quite easily end up resenting the extra weight.
Roll mats aren't generally as popular as inflatable ones.
I'd go for boots OR trainers - the WHW is quite doable in decent approach or trail shoes. If taking both, boots and a pair of very light and squeezable trainers.
Ditch the pillow and use your rolled up fleece, or stuff it in a dry bag.
Not sure about the flask - a wee hot drink is lovely, but I always find its still half-full at the end of the day, and not sure May will be cold enough to really appreciate it. I'd be inclined to keep the stove accessible and stop for a quick brew when you fancy one.
The Gerber - I used to carry a multitool. Never needed it. Stopped taking it. Still haven't needed it. I'd leave it unless you have a specific use in mind.

I compared with my wild camping checklist and there's nothing on there that stands out - some minor stuff like a sponge to wash up the pot with. Entrenching tool you probably don't need, plenty of toilets along the way. Suncream might be necessary.
rgf101

Postby flipside » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:35 pm

PM sent
flipside
Wanderer

Munros:235   Corbetts:2
Fionas:6   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:33   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:18   Islands:23

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:39 pm

Why 2 jackets,keep the waterproof one and ditch the other.
Get rid of flask you have a Jetboil.
Either wear trainers or boots no need for both.
No need for metal mug whats wrong with using the Jetboil.
No need for pillow just stuff the drybag.
2 pairs of socks would do, one for walking, one for night.

Your list in general is fine.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Grievesy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:42 am

Thanks for the feedback folks it's much appreciated. I've took on board what you have said and have ditched such items as 2nd Jacket, Trainers, Metal Mug, Flask, Gerber and added in Sun cream.

Unfortunately the tent is staying, it is a 3 man tent however it is for me and the missus. it's not too heavy and the weight will get broken down between us. and my bad on the roll matt, it is inflatable.

Cheers ears :)
Grievesy
Scrambler

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby rgf101 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:35 am

Sun cream could maybe stay behind, depending on the forecast.

If there's two of you, the tent makes much more sense. One extra space is great for kit and just having space to move. Two extra spaces begins to look like extravagance.

That might mean other items make more sense - eg, the flask if there's two of you using and carrying it. Again, I'd check the forecast. Cold and wet - flask. Hot and dry - sunscreen.
rgf101

Postby basscadet » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:24 pm

I would take far less food unless budget doesn't allow for eating en-route. No point carrying much, there are places to shop or eat at convenient intervals all the way.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby kermatoffee » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:32 pm

May I ask for some comments on my packing list on this same thread?

I'm planning to walk the WHW with a friend in the end on May. We are quite experienced hikers, but this is our first trip to Scotland ever, so it's kind of difficult to adjust our normal hiking kit. Usually we go wild camping in Scandinavian forests or fjells in Lapland, but on the WHW we are planning to stay in B&B's or bunkhouses, so no carrying tent, sleeping bag, mattress or camping stove. :D

We are planning to carry everything and not use baggage transfer, so I'll try packing as light as possible.

So here's the first version of my packing list:

Osprey Talon 33
trousers
running tights, 2/3 lenght?
light weight running jacket for windy days
3 tops: 1 technical w/short sleeves, 1 thin technical w/long sleeves, 1 merino top w/long sleeves
thin merino tights for nights?
ultra light down jacket? How cold are the nights in late May in the Highlands?
water proof jacket OR cape
water proof trousers (I hate using them)
long gaiters? Is it really that muddy?
2 sports bra
3 knickers
2-3 pairs of hiking socks, 2 liner socks
boots
buff scarf
cap
possibly a light dress or skirt for evenings
Sanuk loafers or Keen sandals for evenings

sunglasses
Camelbak 2 or 3 liters
possibly one small drinking bottle for sports drinks
small snacks
sun lotion
paper tissues
toiletries: multi purpose soap, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, shea butter
muslin square to use as towel
first aid: compeed, sports tape (? I really dont know what it is in english), painkillers, allergy medicine > are there poisonous vipers or something similar in the Highlands? Should I bring cortisone tabs?
really tiny victorinox classic sd (w/scissors and tweezers)
walking poles
liner for sleeping bag (we're going to use rental sleeping bags when staying in cabins)

phone and charger
small camera
power bank
map/guide book
notebook, pen
passport, cash, credit card > Does anyone know how commonly do they accept foreign debit cards or Mastercard in the pubs and shops?

Anything else?
Is there something I could leave out?
kermatoffee

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Scotland has nothing poisonous to worry about, technically one reclusive snake (last death, a wee boy in 1975). The WHW people say only bring meds if you have anaphylactic shock susceptibility.

One bit of kit not mentioned yet, a Sawyer water filter. Carry less water by filling up along the way.

I think an underappreciated supplement is High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablets. One of those per day dropped into a bottle of water will replace lost magnesium (etc.) and help prevent cramps.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby kermatoffee » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Thanks, Marty_JG

Nice to hear that I don't need to worry about vipers. Here in the northern countries they are quite common, and they like all the same places as I, sunny cliffs etc, so it's kind of easy accidentally step on a snake. :roll:

I'll think about bringing a filter. Sawyer looks very handy. I've only got a family capasity filter, Katadyn Hiker Pro, which is very good, has both hollow fiber and activated carbon, but might be bit of a hassle to use several times a day. If I fill 3 liters in camelbak reservoir in the mornings and possibly lunch time too, it should be enough. I really don't mind carrying 3 kg of water, since now I won't be carrying any camping equipments.

I agree with you about electrolyte drinks! I've learned to appreciate them when taking part in 12 hour rogaining events.

I wonder if I could find some kind of weather charts for the Highlands somewhere. Now I've planned the clothing about the same I would wear in the northern countries, too.
kermatoffee

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:15 pm

Looks like a pretty good list. As you're not camping, you might only need one out of the running tights and merino tights.

The gaiters question - normally in Scotland I'd say definitely, though I guess the WHW is a little more based on tracks than other routes.

In May the midges are normally not too bad, but they can be there if you get still weather, so I'd take some repellent. I would also take a "tick" remover (something like the O'Tom Tick Twister is good). THere are adders (vipers) in Scotland, but the risk is exceedingly low and nobody I've ever met has considered carrying anything for this. (Does make me think though, I've never considered taking anything for Scandinavia, and you make it sounds as if its normal to take precautions!)

I'd definitely carry a "survival bag" or "bothy bag" to get shelter in case of accident. They weigh very little.

I don't think you mentioned maps and compass, you'll definitely need them for navigation.

As for credit cards, anywhere that takes credit cards should be OK with foreign cards, but there are still a few places in the Highlands where they might not, so I'd take a back up supply of cash too.

Enjoy!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:36 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Scotland has nothing poisonous to worry about, technically one reclusive snake (last death, a wee boy in 1975). The WHW people say only bring meds if you have anaphylactic shock susceptibility.

"Technically"? We have vipers here in Scotland, just as anywhere else so they are something to be aware of and avoided. There is a whole world of unpleasantness between being alive and well and being dead. Vipers' venom causes renal failure, heart failure and neurological damage resulting in symptoms similar to Parkinsons' Disease, for the rest of your life, so don't dismiss them. And they are not very reclusive and there's more than one of them... :shock:

kermatoffee wrote:Thanks, Marty_JG Nice to hear that I don't need to worry about vipers. Here in the northern countries they are quite common, and they like all the same places as I, sunny cliffs etc, so it's kind of easy accidentally step on a snake. :roll: .

Adders ARE something to avoid here, just as in Scandinavia.

Glen Lui Adder August 08 #1.JPG
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:15 pm

Grievsey , what's a neck gaiter? Never felt the need for one. Obviously you will be fine without a mobile phone, but sometimes nearest and dearest might like to know you are OK: a possibility? Possibly also a charger for camera in case you get wowed by the scenery and take a lot of pics. Mine needs charging once every 3 days, but that is because it has an internal GPS. Extra poly bag for used baby wipes, and possibly loo roll.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:23 pm

Obviously you don't play with adders, I say "you" don't play with adders meaning the "proverbial we", not everyone listens:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/man-bitten-by-snake-picked-up-adder-for-holiday-snap-1-1131590 wrote:A HILLWALKER who nearly died after he was bitten by an adder revealed that he picked up two of the snakes so his brother could take a photo of them with a mobile phone. Robert McGuire was bitten last Saturday while holidaying on the Isle of Arran.

"One of the kids ran up and said there was a snake in the grass. I bent down to pick it up so my brother could take a photo with his mobile phone. Suddenly a massive black snake just appeared, so I picked that up too.

It was then that the second one just sank his fangs right into my hand and then the other one did the same to my other hand."

They call him a Hillwalker in Arran. I call him a breeder from Saltcoats.

There have been 14 recorded UK fatalities since records began in 1876, the most recent was a child in 1975. How many people have died in the Scottish highlands in the last 40 years? Sometimes it can be half a dozen a month.

As I said, if you have particular anaphylactic shock susceptibility perhaps bring some meds, otherwise it shouldn't be high on your list of worries. You're much more likely to be killed by a golf ball, lightning, or serial killer.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby crfishwick » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:24 pm

Sgurr wrote:Grievsey , what's a neck gaiter?

A Buff probably and quite a versatile piece of clothing and lightweight. Can be used as a hat, balaclava, facemask plus the rest. Useful in my opinion.
crfishwick

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk