walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eaval (Eabhal) [North Uist]

Eaval (Eabhal) [North Uist]

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Route description: Eabhal (Eaval), North Uist

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Eaval (North Uist)

Date walked: 30/05/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 417m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Sun 30/05/10
Hills - Eaval (Eabhal) 347m [North Uist]
Route - Start from end of minor road along Loch Euphort. Skirt around E side of Loch Obasaraigh, pick up ridge and take whatever line you see fit. Retrace steps to return from summit.
Weather - Excellent
People - Me / Michelle
Time - 4.5 Hours
Distance - 11.3km
Ascent - 417m
Max Altitude - 347m

Eaval 30052010 track final simplified.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Eaval 30052010 profile.jpg

After a few days in Skye we were about to drive back to base in Inverness on Friday evening. Next thing we knew we were booked on to the ferry from Uig (Skye) to Lochmaddy (N.Uist). Only remaining problem was to get from Broadford up to Uig in time. Sport button on (sort of thing you get when you get a better hire car than you'd booked :D ) and we made it in good time. Michelle's bagged loads of Scottish Islands over the years. As for me- this was the first time I'd been to any island other than Skye, and this was to be my first ferry trip.

We'd booked a B&B in N.Uist for the night. We quickly decided it would be criminal to go home to the following day and decided to camp in Benbecula for the 2nd night and sail back to Skye on Sunday. This turned out to be an excellent decision allowing us plenty of time to explore the islands (a few reports for wee hills to follow) prior to walking up Eaval on the Sunday morning before our 1615 ferry home. Throughout the trip we were pleased to get some great weather.

We'd hoped to be walking by 9am. Turned out to be nearer 10am. Plenty of time for the route but we couldn't afford excessive dawdling around as we are partial to. The ferry wouldn't wait for us!

After parking at the end of the road we continued on the track, through the gate next to the house, and out on to the moorland.

Eaval, on the scales we're all used to, is a small hill. At 347m it'd be dwarfed if standing in many areas. Situated in North Uist it dominates the landscape, and without any neighbouring hills to give scale it looks twice the size it actually is.

Eaval - viewed from near start of the walk

Looking back to the causeway of stones across the outflow of Loch Obasaraigh

It was a very calm morning and the midges in the heather during the walk in were driving me crazy! I had to employ my 'midge run' (the usual sprint with flapping arms!) until I found a breezy standing point. Michelle did a much better job at braving the little ^%$**%$.
Looking back toward Burabhal

After about 1hr 15mins we arrived at the base of the hill and began the ascent. There's a faint path up the broad ridge but this quickly dissapears. There's plenty of rock and small craggy sections mixed in with grass, and varying bogs. Any difficulties were easily avoided and on the ascent we stuck to more rocky sections that offered a good bit of optional scrambling on the steeper parts. However you do it you'll be weaving a line up the ridge all the way to the summit. It made for an interesting and eventful ascent all the way, not to mention the unique views that were constantly opening up.

We spotted the 1100 ferry leaving. The next, and last of the day, was ours at 1615

Summit

South

West

NW

North

NE

East

Summit panorama
Large version
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4674600306_992a331873_o.jpg

Zoomed - starting point next to house in centre of pic.

Looking SW from summit over the cairn

We started the first section of descent on a primarily grass/heather section before moving more toward our original line.Image

Looking over to Skye. What I think is MacLeods tables in the foreground, with the Cuillin behind (?).

Arriving back on level ground

Retraced steps along the path at the edge of the Loch with its resident swans

Found a skelton along the way (deer?)

Some sort of bird of prey (I'm terrible at identifying!) circled up above

A final glance back toward Eaval

A fine end to a fantastic trip to the Outer Hebrides (which also included Beinn Sciathain on Eriskay) :D Ferry to Skye - Drive to Inverness - next day we ended up in the Cairngorms....
Last edited by HighlandSC on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Eaval (Eabhal) [North Uist]

Postby BoulderingBanchee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:36 am

Some cracking pics, what fantastic views!
BoulderingBanchee

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:43 am

Great report HSC. As you say, Eaval feels heaps higher than 347m, and I've never seen views like it 8) Sounds like you and Michelle and getting out and about plenty :)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:59 am

You got a lot less haze on your photos than the ones in my report!

So, you're in my favourite islands are you? :mrgreen:
mountain coward

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 am

I was there MC, unfortunately I'm now back sitting in a dull office in Inverness :(

Great set of Islands though. I'll be back for Lewis and Harris. On this trip we did a hill on North and South Uist, also Eriskay. And camped a night on Benbecula. Great place, especially if you strike it lucky with the weather.
HighlandSC

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:48 am

Harris is a superb place (but then I remember, you've bin 'afore as we say here)... but I do find the weather is worse there than on Uist - probably due to the more abundant mountains...
mountain coward

Postby maddjock » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:07 am

great pics HSC... and report... nice to do something on the spur of the moment...
what program do you use to stitch your panoramas together... I havent found one yet that I am completely happy with...
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby magicdin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:27 am

great, interesting report
I have had an inkling for the Uists and Eabhal,Beinn Mhor etc for a wee while - must go soon :)
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:06 pm

maddjock wrote:what program do you use to stitch your panoramas together... I havent found one yet that I am completely happy with...

Olympus Master 2
It's just the software that came free with my digital camera. Works fine for my basic use, but then you'll have a much more critical eye!
HighlandSC

Postby FMCKIE » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:58 pm

HighlandSC wrote:I was there MC, unfortunately I'm now back sitting in a dull office in Inverness :(

Great set of Islands though. I'll be back for Lewis and Harris. On this trip we did a hill on North and South Uist, also Eriskay. And camped a night on Benbecula. Great place, especially if you strike it lucky with the weather.

What hill did you do on South Uist?
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:19 pm

FMCKIE wrote:What hill did you do on South Uist?

Beinn Tarbeirt (168m) - Just a wee one north of the B890 road to Loch Sgioport. We were just driving around touring the islands and parked up right next to it and headed up for a better view around.

A bit grim in the morning (would be clear blue sky in a few hours), the big ones to the south had their tops covered.
P5290390.JPG

a few hours later we were on Eriskay and went up Beinn Sciathan (186m).
Looking north to the big ones in South Uist again:
P5290431.JPG
HighlandSC

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland