walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall nan Tarmachan

Meall nan Tarmachan

Postby euanf » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:52 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 31/05/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A roasting hot bank holiday Monday and my first chance to get up a munro this year. The thermometer in the car read about 22 degrees afterwards - pretty hot for this time of year!

Parked before the reservoir and took the direct path up Meall nan Tarmachan rather than walking along the Tarmachan Ridge. The views alone are worth the walk. Not particularly difficult either - the "scramble" up the gully is easy going.

For the most part, the path is solid underfoot and it's difficult to lose sight of. The path along the ridge also seems well trodden. The walk doesn't really get steep until the final push up to the ridge. It's just like a large staircase - most people should have no difficulty getting up here. The rocks might get a bit slippery in the wet, but it shouldn't be too much trouble to walk up the grass beside them.

P1000393.JPG

Meall nan Tarmachan from the beginning of the walk.

P1000447.JPG

A quick break to enjoy the view over Loch Tay. Couldn't have asked for better weather, really!

P1000482.JPG

Not much further to go - just a quick scurry up the gully and onto the top of the ridge.

P1000623.JPG

Much easier going than expected - it's just like a staircase!

P1000514.JPG

The summit cairn of Meall nan Tarmachan, looking roughly south-west. The view from up here is fantastic! Ben Nevis is easily spotted on a clear day.

P1000591.JPG

Meall Garbh, with Meall nan Tarmachan on the right of the photo.
euanf

Munros:6   
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Meall nan Tarmachan

Postby skuk007 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:37 pm

Nice pictures there, a what a great weather day. Hope I get it like this when I have to do this one. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby fingeez » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:07 am

Looks like you had some nice wether for it there. Was a howling freezing wind when i done this.

haha yeah the staircase is pretty easy going, id rather come down it than go down the small scramble off Meall Garbh again, be much more fun cimbing up that.
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:20 am

Yeah if I do those again (which I probably will), I'll defo go the other way round and go up the Meall Garbh scramble - I'll be able to do it that way! :D
mountain coward

Postby euanf » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:12 am

Yeah certainly couldn't complain about the weather. If only every day were like that!

I'll have to agree with doing it in reverse next time. At least that way it's a shorter walk back to the car as well :thumbup:
euanf

Munros:6   
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:14 am

To be honest, I prefer a long walk out to a long walk in - my impatience to get to the Munro/Corbett/summit :D I think that is mainly because I'm always afraid the weather will change and a) spoil the view from the summit and b) make me have to navigate! :lol:

Also, at the end of the day, I'm relaxed and can just daze along in a dream - on the way to the peak in question, I'm often stressed and wondering whether I'll manage to conquer my mountain cowardice enough to get up it!
mountain coward

Postby wurzel » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:35 pm

I read some of this thread before heading up to Scotland last week for a few days, and Meall nan Tarmachan ended up being my first Munro. It was late when I arrived, but thought I'd go for it anyway along with the ridge. It worked out okay as there was still enough light at 10.45 in the evening when I finished. It was an excellent walk, and I was very impressed with the scenery. Here's a photo looking along the ridge from Meall nan Tarmachan.
1.JPG
Looking along the ridge from Meall nan Tarmachan

mountain coward wrote:Yeah if I do those again (which I probably will), I'll defo go the other way round and go up the Meall Garbh scramble - I'll be able to do it that way!

fingeez wrote:...than go down the small scramble off Meall Garbh again, be much more fun cimbing up that.

I'd read a lot of comments about the scramble part of the ridge and was looking forward to getting to it. When I did, I remembered another thread here and sort of slipped down the rock slab on my backside. The best scramble of the trip was up Stuc a'Chroin from the Ben Vorlich side which I did on the last day. Have you tried that MC or fingeez?
wurzel

Munros:5   
Hewitts:48

Postby fingeez » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:50 pm

Hey MC if you want to avoid the scramble totally you could always use the very faint path on the right hand side if your coming from the tarmachan side. You cant really see it from the top but once your down and look back you can see it off too the side :)

Hey Wurzel
Least your still here after your bum slide :) would def be easier going up haha
Nope iv not got round too Stuc A Chroin yet, was planning on it a while back but was waiting on the snow clearing first and have gotten caught up with others iv wanted to climb, gonna get back and do it soon though.
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Postby bob e skunky » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Nice pics, Euan.
Glad you enjoyed your day :roll:
bob e skunky
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland