walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 Eastern Mamores

4 Eastern Mamores

Postby Kenny Monaghan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:01 am

Route description: Binnein Mòr and Na Gruagaichean, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 23/04/2016

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 20.4 km

Ascent: 2011m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another great day on the hills, the 4 Eastern Mamores were the target, the weather was promising so off we headed for Lochleven, we started from the Grey Mares tail path then went to Sgurr Eilde Mor, the path up was pretty decent and with the exception of a group of 200 walkers coming off the hill walking towards Lochleven and 1 solitary Ptarmigan we had the place to ourselves. The views were stunning there was a bit of cloud cover and the odd flurry of hail, but walking conditions were pretty much as good as it gets with dry weather and a decent path. There is still loads of snow around especially on Binnein Mor where we had to get the crampons and ice axes out due to the snow being fairly firm and slippy. The ridge between Binnein Mor and Na Gruagaichean was pretty much covered in snow but was still comfortable enough walking.

Only one thing went wrong yesterday, zip off trousers may not be such a good idea if you have 2 pairs the same colour, I arrived in Lochleven hadn't bothered to check the bottoms I'd lifted for my shorts, and with pure luck I managed to lift to left legs, so it was shorts then.
Attachments
DSCF9146.jpg
Snow on the ridge between Binnien Mor & Na Gruagaichean
DSCF9144.jpg
Me on Binnien Mor
DSCF9143.jpg
Alex on Binnien Mor
DSCF9130.jpg
Alex crampos and Ice axe to get over the snow shelf for the final section of the climb on to Binnien Mor
DSCF9126.jpg
Binnien Mor looking stunning with the snow
DSCF9112.jpg
DSCF9110.jpg
Kenny Monaghan
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:8   

Re: 4 Eastern Mamores

Postby tombombadilio » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:53 pm

Personally, Kenny, I would never go up the hills when I was legless ( :lol: ).

Was that one massive group of walkers that you saw or is that just normal? Never been up that way.
tombombadilio
Walker

Munros:258   Corbetts:19
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Islands:17

Postby steven65 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:46 am

I enjoyed doing these 4 on previous Saturday - 16/4/16..........I met/passed roughly 200-300 German / Dutch guys camped at Loch Eilde Mor. Some (100+) were coming DOWN off Sgurr Eilde Mor , this was about 7.30am - think they`d been out all night - carrying a bit of kit- gear. Military ? but not dressed as such.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby prog99 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:40 am

Was out and about in the area yesterday. Was there a 'religious' structure on one of the summits?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland