walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Dodd-A somewhat foreboding walk

Great Dodd-A somewhat foreboding walk

Postby The Lakeland Hobbler » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Dodd

Date walked: 24/04/2016

Time taken: 2

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 1507m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Start

Car Park: High Row,Just up from Dockray

Being dropped off at the car park at the entrance to the Old Coach road I cut off a mile of walking as Wainwright's suggested starting point was Dockray.

A number of Bikers set off down the Old Coach road and thus polluted the would be tranquil and quiet walking environment. However after walking through the gate I instantly veered off left towards low how and latterly High Brow following at a distance a wall to my left. This way I think in some ways is better than the Groove Beck route suggested by Wainwright due to some interesting curving walls ,Crags and nice views. If you stick between the hillocks and the wall there is sufficient shelter from the wind AND the noise pollution of motorbikes, Land drovers and whatnot that pass through the Old Coach Road. The downsides to this route being a distinct lack of a path.
Little Mell Fell, Pennines.jpg
Little Mell Fell to Cross Fell

Next I continue up past Dowthwaite Crag and up High Brow where there were some interesting little pools which made a great foreground to my picture of Deepdale which provides and interesting view whilst simultaneously creating a feeling of isolation and loneliness along the 'path' to Randerside. It doesn't take long to feel like your in the middle of Nowhere if you follow this route.
Bog!.jpg
Deepdale

Anyway I spent the next half an hour making little progress through essentially a massive drawn out bog, before getting fed up and joining a more well established path at the bottom of Randerside.

Do not stick to the left of High Brow when walking to Randerside as you will find you are walking through uneven and boggy land most of the way! Instead go straight down the spine of High Brow towards Randerside; Just as Wainwright has dotted out on his little sketch of ascent from Dockray.
Rannderside Cairn.jpg
Randerside

Randerside Is the beginning of a fairly long but relatively rewarding climb. As this is my FIRST climb of a mountain over 2000 ft I had to rest about 4 times along the way.

Once I was at the top of Randerside ,Great Dodd seemed to lear over me ,however as it turned out I had actually done most of the hard work; the final ascent up Great Dodd is quite steep yet mercifully short. I didn't have to rest on this section.
Cairn on Great Dodd.jpg
A top of Great Dodd

The views from the top are tremendous however I didn't take any scenic pictures as there were rather intimidating dark clouds looming large and the light was rather dull... so much for lugging a great Heavy tripod with me the whole way!

The panorama is split, in order to get the views of Keswick and the Solway you need to find the highest bit of ground a few yards north of the large shelter cairn. From the cairn the views of Helvellyn and 'satellites' are fairly descent. And slightly further west you can also see Thirlmere!
Skiddaw.jpg
Skiddaw and Bassenthwaite Lake and Scotland!

I have to say I did feel rather exposed up here because there was not another soul in sight;; the only company being that of a Single Crow which I think is supposed to be the mark of bad luck!
Scary Skies.jpg
Scary Skies

I descended on the same path on which I had ascended 'however cutting out the boggy nightmare of the West side of High Brow. It seemed to take AGES to get back, especially when descending Randerside. A mixture of Black clouds, hail, wind chill seemed to bring out a malevolent and unkind character in my surroundings especially within the barren Vale of Deepdale and the irrepressible presence of Blencathra to my left. Looking back it was almost as if I had angered Great Dodd and his friends and he had issued a billow of dark and hostile clouds to chase me away from the hills by dropping a mixture of hail and freezing rain onto my already frozen head! I didn't have a hat, yeh I'm stupid.

After battling through bog and small hill after small hill I eventually landed on the now quite welcoming gravel path that marked the end of the Old Coach road , and my gate to home along with my means of getting there.

So to sum up: The walk up to GD is actually quite nice, but when coming back down it becomes incredibly monotonous so if I was to walk this way again I would descend down into St Johns in the Vale where some nice person would (probably not but hopefully be waiting with the car.

Also I would bring someone with me next time as it gets rather lonely up there!

The End

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by The Lakeland Hobbler on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Lakeland Hobbler
Ambler

Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:5   

Re: Great Dodd-A somewhat foreboding walk

Postby thefallwalker » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:11 pm

nice report bud! dont "beat" yourself up over stopping a couple of times, we all do along the way but not everyone wants to admit it :D i'd definietely reccommend some company on future walks as it really does keep you going when things get tough or the weather decides to get ya!! & of course to share the amazing views up the hills, good luck with your future missions. :clap:
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   

Postby The Lakeland Hobbler » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:28 pm

thefallwalker wrote:nice report bud! dont "beat" yourself up over stopping a couple of times, we all do along the way but not everyone wants to admit it :D i'd definietely reccommend some company on future walks as it really does keep you going when things get tough or the weather decides to get ya!! & of course to share the amazing views up the hills, good luck with your future missions. :clap:
Thank you very much for reading my report!
The Lakeland Hobbler
Ambler

Postby trailmasher » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Good report and pics TLH :clap: Pleased to see that you had good weather for the views :) I can also endorse your sentiments of the route that you took :( and following the spine off High Brow is the better option :) Well done and look forward to reading more of your reports :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby The Lakeland Hobbler » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:10 pm

trailmasher wrote:Good report and pics TLH :clap: Pleased to see that you had good weather for the views :) I can also endorse your sentiments of the route that you took :( and following the spine off High Brow is the better option :) Well done and look forward to reading more of your reports :clap:
Thanks a lot :D Im glad you liked it! Yeh it's probably a route I won't return to for a while but it's the perfect walk if you want a stroll which is completely devoid of any human life :)
The Lakeland Hobbler
Ambler

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:07 am

Well done TLH, congrats on your first 2000+, may it be the first of many. As thefallwalker said earlier, don't worry about stopping .... I stop as much as I go :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice pics of a dark and mysterious wandering. If you ever feel a bit concerned on the trail, start singing out loud...you can guarantee someone will turn up and catch your out of tune warbling almost immediately :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby The Lakeland Hobbler » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:37 am

ChrisW wrote:Well done TLH, congrats on your first 2000+, may it be the first of many. As thefallwalker said earlier, don't worry about stopping .... I stop as much as I go :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice pics of a dark and mysterious wandering. If you ever feel a bit concerned on the trail, start singing out loud...you can guarantee someone will turn up and catch your out of tune warbling almost immediately :lol: :lol:
Thank You Chris :) Haha yep, that sounds like the voice of experience talking! Actually I was once caught lying flat on the ground with my eyes closed and some walkers came to check that I was alive... I was alive and it was a most embarrassing situation :roll:
The Lakeland Hobbler
Ambler

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland