walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Coniston Range in a Proper Winter!

The Coniston Range in a Proper Winter!

Postby mountain coward » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:54 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brim Fell, Coniston Old Man, Dow Crag, Swirl How

Hewitts included on this walk: Dow Crag, Swirl How, The Old Man of Coniston

Date walked: 09/03/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

January in the Lakes was good practice for my trip to Scotland in February - the place was wick wi' deep snow and pretty hard and icy. That was South Lakes anyway – I could see Skiddaw and the Dodds Ridge just past Helvellyn and they didn't have any! Glad I took my ice axe and crampons...
White Connies.jpg

On the Monday of the trip, me and Rich set off up Walna Scar from Little Arrow (near Torver)- definitely the prettiest route to the Coniston range. It didn't really get snowy until near the top of the pass where it was hard-packed and slippy. I had my doubts about Richard getting up as he didn't have any winter gear (he doesn't own any as he hates winter walking! – of course, I’m trying to convert him :wink: ). He decided to press on to the top of Brown Pike at the end of the Dow Crag ridge but then turned back as it had become misty and he didn't like the look of a long ridge covered in snow and with a cornice. So I carried on alone - it being the Dow Crag ridge you probably didn't really need crampons but I left them on, even though a slide would just end up being down a long, grassy slope which isn’t even steep or particularly rocky.

About half-way along the ridge, when you get above the gullies of the eastern crags, there is a little window of rock with an interesting route to get to it, firstly down the top of a gully to a bend and then along a rising ledge. I usually visit this and went for a look – hmmm – not in that snow (see pics in following 'reply' as I can't fit them on here!)

It was difficult getting up onto the summit rocks with crampons on until I figured out I was best to use the snowy bits (I’m pretty new to this cramponing stuff!). I then found a nice narrow mini snow gully leading up the final rocks to the summit and a nice completely snowed-over miniature arete to get back down (we're only talking a few feet here :wink: The snow was quite deep going down the far side to Goats Hause but fairly crisp so I didn't sink in too much. It was very icy along the side of Goatswater and then it was crampons back off for the long and mushy walk back across Torver Common.

Tuesday was a write-off as it threw it down all day non-stop. I was worried it would have washed away all the snow but of course couldn't see the mountains for all the low cloud.

On Wednesday we decided to try Coniston Old Man up the miners' track despite it being low cloud and dull and miserable in the valley - I just had a feeling there was probably a nice inversion and lots of sun up top. We got as far as just below Low Water before we really met any snow on the track, then we met a really awkward bit of frozen snow for a short distance. We really couldn't grip at all with boots but managed to find enough bald patches to get to the next direction of zig-zag where it wasn't icy. Soon after we reached Low Water and the frozen, hard-packed snow started in earnest. At this point I told Richard to go back as I thought it was too dangerous without crampons and axe. I suggested a nice walk which included the Red Dell and Boulder Valleys and Levers Water and he eagerly scampered off, no doubt feeling glad to escape my planned icy route. I was really surprised that the guy who'd just appeared behind us with just boots and walking poles thought it was okay to continue.

I had been going to take the grassy route via Brim Fell Rake but decided I should, for the experience/practice, try the normal route which is pretty steep from there on. So off I set followed by Mr. Over-confident. It was hard-frozen snow all the way from there, occasionally deep and sinkable but mostly rock-solid. I got just above Low Water and decided to take some piccies of the tarn so Mr. Poles passed me. Just above there he started to slide off the path and down the slope but luckily stopped. I was just thinking how he would ruin my day if he fell off as I would have to interrupt my valuable, experience-gaining walk and sort it out.
Low Water, Black Sails&Wetherlam.jpg

Luckily for him, just as we reached the stupendously steep bit of the route by some old quarries I got it wrong and went up a side track leading to one of them, telling him that was the route - oops - not often I get it wrong as I know 'The Connies' like the back of my hand - just they look completely different under lots of snow! He followed me to the quarry where of course the track suddenly ended. There was a perfectly feasible route up from there to join the top of the proper track though. I attempted it but it was really soft, deep snow so was going to be bloody hard work. As I had my crampons I thought it best for me to descend back to the proper route onto the hard stuff again and he sensibly carried on up the soft stuff. When I got back onto the proper route I was really surprised how steep it really is. It seemed not far off vertical and I could only get my front points and a couple more spikes in the ground - my heels couldn't get their spikes in as I can't bend my ankles that much! Mostly there were ‘footprints’ which had been stamped in when it was softer. Anyway, I stomped up hoping The Connies don't avalanche or anything and ended up on the ridge just behind Mr. Poles. I was completely knackered by this point (very unfit at the time :( ) From there it is a further (not quite so) steep climb to the summit but it seemed a really long way to me in those conditions.

By now we were in bright sunshine and it was pretty warm. There was a sea of cloud covering everything between me and my home area of the Dales but the Scafells were sticking out plastered in snow.

After I'd collapsed on the summit for a while - too shaky even to take photos at first as I was so beggared - and had a coffee and a chat with the guy we both took some photos and went our separate ways - him for Dow Crag (I think) and me along the ridge to Brim Fell etc.
Dow Crag with cloud below.jpg
Brooding Dow Crag with cloud.jpg
Brown Pike fm The Old Man.jpg
Brown & Buck Pikes.jpg
I did tell him I didn't see how he'd got up in boots and with poles and he actually agreed with me and said he didn't think he'd make it at times (I wouldn't have tried - there was no grip whatsoever - he must just have great balance and found lots of ‘footsteps’ previously made – I had tried step kicking early on but you would have needed steel toe-capped boots!). From there the ridge was easy enough walking for a while and would have been fine in boots but I didn't bother to take my crampons off.
Coniston Old Man-solitary figure.jpg
It was deeper snow descending to Levers Hause - sometimes I broke through the surface, some steps I didn't. I managed to pretty much perfect a technique of treading really gently so I didn't sink in.
Dow Crag across Brim Fell.jpg
Brim Fell&Dow Crag fm GtHow Crags.jpg
Looking back along the ridge...
Brim Fell&Dow Crag into sun.jpg

When I got to the Hause I got to the bit where the sun had been on the ridge all day. Of course this meant soft snow, and about a foot deep. It was even more tiring ascending this (as I'm sure you all know).
Misty Seathwaite Tarn.jpg
By the time I reached Great How Crags and taken loads more photos I'd run completely out of food (as in needed to eat, not used the food out of my pack) and was really getting shaky.
Strange Light across Dow Crag.jpg
I decided to try to burn some of my fat and carry on without food until Swirl How's summit - not much further really. I felt quite sick by the time I got there and took off my pack to search for my usual choccy bars etc. Zilch! I found some of my emergency 'pressed fruit' bars and ate one of them, got a quick coffee and decided to head down straight away – I’m not one for hanging around anyway.

Descending Prison Band’s steep, rocky ridge was really hard as the snow was so varied. In places it was soft and I sunk in really deep, but just for one step - that really put me off balance. It was no good using my ice axe for balance as it would invariably sink in to the hilt but mostly I wouldn't - again putting me off balance. Sometimes a block of it would give way under my foot. Also sometimes I would sink in deeply and hit uneven rock underneath - that would also put me off balance. And of course, sometimes I didn’t sink in at all and the crampons bit nicely...

Took me around half an hour to get to the bottom of the ridge - normally would be 5-10 minutes! I was pretty glad to get off it but conditions didn't really get any less challenging... From Swirl Hause down to Levers Water, there was a thin covering of really soft snow. It wasn't really suitable for crampons so I took them off, however, it wasn't really possible to walk on it at all without falling. At that point you're traversing a slope and the snow just slid away from under your feet every time you put them down, so you generally went with them. At least the axe in my uphill hand was now a help as it just hit firm ground through the soft snow and stopped me falling over. When I got to Levers Water that was the end of the snow so I just headed quickly down on the 'landrover' track and back into the murk which the valley had been in all day.

I got to my car on the Coppermines road at 1530 (we'd set off at 1015) and found Richard had just set off back up towards me and was looking grumpy. He said he was about 10 minutes off calling the mountain rescue! I told him that he obviously had no idea how much longer you have to allow for winter conditions and that they'd have just laughed at him and told him to ring back in a few more hours! I also told him I was surprised to find him at the car and had been fully expecting to go straight to the Black Bull brew-pub to collect him (he had at least been in there for a while trying their new real ale).

So, all in all, a pretty successful trip. I got a lot more experience in winter walking, especially on steep ground... and I found out how miserably unfit I was! :(
Last edited by mountain coward on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mountain coward

Re: The Coniston Range in a Proper Winter!

Postby mountain coward » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:13 am

Here are the pics of 'The Window' on Dow Crag with it's rather liberal covering of snow:
The Window&Cornices.jpg
The Window Wick Wi'Snow.jpg

Also one of 'me' on the mountain...
The Ghost of Me.jpg

And some further pics which I couldn't fit on when there used to be a limit to how many photos in a post! :D
The Connies fm The Old Man.jpg
Coniston Old Man summit fm col.jpg
Conny Old Man summit fm ridge.jpg
Coniston Old Man fm Brim Fell.jpg
Great How Crags fm Swirl How.jpg
Harter Fell fm Levers Hause.jpg
Raven Tor in snow.jpg
Wetherlam fm Swirl How.jpg
Mini Tarn above Levers.jpg
Last edited by mountain coward on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mountain coward

Postby canisp » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:07 pm

Looked like two cracking days out. Really enjoyed your report and excellent photo’s :D of my local hills, the route up above Low Water is steep and i know how tiring it can be on that stretch in soft snow.
mc wrote:I attempted it but it was really soft, deep snow so was going to be bloody hard work. As I had my crampons I thought it best for me to descend back to the proper route onto the hard stuff again and he sensibly carried on up the soft stuff.

A tip for the future, in deep soft snow give the other walker a good head start then follow slowly behind at a respectable distance, they will break trail for you :shock: and you get to keep your energy for later. :lol:
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Enjoyed that one - really magical conditions with the bright light, snow and drifting mists... what a contrast to the Scottish report.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:12 pm

Great photos, i have only just had my first crampon walk and it is strange, only when I got home did I see the rips in my gaiters from the spikes, suppose it saved my trousers. Was up on Coniston Old Man in November but no snow, I can see what I missed now, great story and always better safe than sorry, keep up the good work, Sue
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby cjwaugh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Brilliant report mc as usual and great pictures got a real feeling of the day you had cheers cj :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby mountain coward » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:22 am

Susan - you have to remember to 'walk like a farmer' with crampons on :lol: You need to walk like you're on tracks and keep your feet well apart - it can be really dangerous if you catch your crampon points on your other leg and trip up! Having said that, on one of my trips recently, no idea how I managed it, but I managed to get my ice axe between my legs as I walked and fell over that! :lol: Luckily I mostly walk alone so noone saw...
mountain coward

Postby yokehead » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:55 pm

A superb report in all respects. Enjoyed your tales of getting into crampon and axe use, you got a bit of everything and very mixed terrain it seems. I've found that sometimes it's best to keep the crampons on when the snow is sliding off the grass, the points bite just as well and save the slip. Winter is so good! :D
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:25 am

I suppose I worry about damaging the ground underneath if the snow is soft... I know how eroded the Lake District mountains are already - it's not so bad in Scotland for that.
mountain coward

Postby mountain coward » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:18 am

Put some more pics on the second 'page' of this now there's no apparent limit...
mountain coward

Postby Milesy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Very nice mountain coward.... There is nothing better than that feeling of just knowing that there is an inversion on top! I generally start running up the hill at this point in case conditions change. :lol:

What a nice day 8)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:21 pm

Yeah I often rush up hills 'cos it's nice and I just know that, in my case, conditions normally change... for the worse of course!
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland