walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

5 Fells from Loweswater.

5 Fells from Loweswater.

Postby mamoset » Sun May 01, 2016 9:54 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blake Fell, Burnbank Fell, Gavel Fell, Hen Comb, Mellbreak

Date walked: 16/04/2016

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1100m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As I near the end of Wainwright round 2, I seem to be left with the same fells as at this stage of round 1 :lol: so it was off to Loweswater today to take in these 5 fells. I parked at the phone box, which is now also a defibrillator :shock: and made my way towards Loweswater and Maggie's Bridge.
IMG_8502.JPG
Grasmoor from the start.
I had decided to take the path behind Holme Wood and head straight up the side of Burnbank Fell. I headed past High Nook Farm and followed High Nook Beck.
IMG_8510.JPG
Black Crag at head of High Nook.
It got very warm as I started the ascent of Burnbank Fell and it would stay pleasant for the rest of the day 8)
IMG_8517.JPG
Heading up Burnbank Fell.
After a gentle climb, the summit of Burnbank Fell was reached.
IMG_8520.JPG
Burnbank Fell.
IMG_8524.JPG
Whiteside and Grasmoor from Burnbank Fell.
From here, it's a straightforward walk to the high point of the day, Blake Fell.
IMG_8527.JPG
Blake Fell.
IMG_8530.JPG
Looking across Ennerdale to Crag Fell.
IMG_8532.JPG
High Stile to Pillar from Blake Fell.
Next stop is Gavel Fell which is easily reached over well trodden paths.
IMG_8536.JPG
The view ahead to Gavel Fell.
IMG_8547.JPG
Gavel Fell.
Unfortunately, from here you have to cross Whiteoak Moss to get to Hen Comb. Thankfully, my boots are still waterproof :lol: so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
IMG_8552.JPG
Hen Comb across Whiteoak Moss.
IMG_8558.JPG
Red Pike and Starling Dodd from Whiteoak Moss.
IMG_8568.JPG
Great Borne & Floutern Cop from Hen Comb ascent.
After a bit of a plod up Hen Comb, I reached the summit.
IMG_8571.JPG
Hen Comb.
IMG_8574.JPG
Robinson to Red Pike over Buttermere from Hen Comb.
There is no easy route to Mellbreak from Hen Comb, so it was straight down the side, making for what looked like a crossing over Mosedale Beck.
IMG_8578.JPG
Mellbreak from Hen Comb descent.
Again, with no defined route, it was nigh on 300m straight back up :shock: .
IMG_8603.JPG
Mellbreak.
After a brief rest at the summit, I set off back.
IMG_8614.JPG
Sun hits Rannerdale Knotts.
IMG_8619.JPG
From North top to South.
IMG_8623.JPG
Loweswater & it's fells.
It's a loose scree kind of descent off the front of Mellbreak, but there is a surprise viewpoint half way down, where you can get great views up Crummock Water & Buttermere.
IMG_8633.JPG
From Surprise Viewpoint.
IMG_8637.JPG
Darling Fell & Low Fell.
This was a surprisingly enjoyable walk, with decent views all around.
IMG_8645.JPG
Looking south from near the phone box.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: 5 Fells from Loweswater.

Postby The Lakeland Hobbler » Sun May 01, 2016 3:14 pm

Well documented and photographed ! Looks like a pleasant walk. For someone who has lived in the Lakes for 14 years its about time I finally visited the west Lakes :)
The Lakeland Hobbler
Ambler

Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:5   

Postby mamoset » Sun May 01, 2016 4:42 pm

The Lakeland Hobbler wrote:Well documented and photographed ! Looks like a pleasant walk. For someone who has lived in the Lakes for 14 years its about time I finally visited the west Lakes :)

Thanks Hobbler, it's certainly easier for you to get there than most!!! Get over there and enjoy them :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 02, 2016 6:55 am

Some lovely views on this one too Mamoset and so much less snow :crazy: This could be summer, your weather is as crazy as our this year. Incredible that you are closing in one wainwright's completion for the second time...will you be going for a third :wink: Two great posts and two great hikes :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mamoset » Mon May 02, 2016 3:45 pm

ChrisW wrote:Some lovely views on this one too Mamoset and so much less snow :crazy: This could be summer, your weather is as crazy as our this year. Incredible that you are closing in one wainwright's completion for the second time...will you be going for a third :wink: Two great posts and two great hikes :clap: :clap:

Thanks Chris, it certainly is a bit crazy the weather this year haha. As for a 3rd round, i doubt i'll do that, would rather try and get some more Munro's done, just need to find some time :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland