walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

6 fells from the top of Wrynose Pass

6 fells from the top of Wrynose Pass

Postby mamoset » Sun May 01, 2016 10:54 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cold Pike, Great Carrs, Grey Friar, Pike o'Blisco, Swirl How, Wetherlam

Hewitts included on this walk: Cold Pike, Grey Friar, Pike of Blisco, Swirl How, Wetherlam

Date walked: 30/04/2016

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1500m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With the promise of mostly fine weather, I decided to head fairly high, and take in the fells around Wrynose Pass. Being able to park at 393m certainly saves some time and effort :lol: It was cold and gloomy as I set off, heading to Cold Pike first.
IMG_8654.JPG
Cold Pike from the path.
I followed the path to near High Teighton How, then headed across the boggy ground for the ascent of Cold Pike. The snow was fairly deep in places, but it was still a fairly easy ascent.
IMG_8664.JPG
Cold Pike.
Light snow showers were blowing in now and again, so I made for the path near Great Knott and down to Red Tarn.
IMG_8667.JPG
Langdale Pikes & Pike o' Blisco.
IMG_8671.JPG
Crinkle Crags & Bowfell.
IMG_8679.JPG
Langdale Pikes.
IMG_8682.JPG
Bowfell.
IMG_8685.JPG
Wetherlam, Swirl How & Great Carrs over Red Tarn.
As I began the ascent of Pike o' Blisco, the sun appeared and layers needed shedding!! :clap: Because of the snow, I couldn't make out the path, so just went straight up, which because I hit a couple of little scramble spots, made it a bit more interesting :D
IMG_8689.JPG
Pike o' Blisco.
IMG_8699.JPG
Coniston Fells.
With no path to follow, I made my down the fell side, hoping to hit the path at Redtarn Moss, which I just about managed :lol:
IMG_8703.JPG
Harter Fell.
Once back at the road, I took the signed path for Wet Side Edge. This was easier to follow, and I was soon at the 579m cairn.
IMG_8716.JPG
Looking towards Helvellyn, shrouded in cloud.
I followed the path over Hell Gill Pike & Little Carrs, before hitting the summit of Great Carrs.
IMG_8721.JPG
Swirl How & Great Carrs.
IMG_8729.JPG
Great Carrs.
IMG_8725.JPG
Scafells.
I hadn't initially thought to go to Grey Friar, but it looked so close it seemed a shame not to, so I descended to Fairfield before the short ascent to Grey Friar summit.
IMG_8739.JPG
Dow Crag from Fairfield.
IMG_8740.JPG
Grey Friar.
After a short stop for lunch, and the obligatory Matterhorn rock photo,
IMG_8744.JPG
Matterhorn rock.
Swirl How was the next port of call.
IMG_8747.JPG
Looking back to Grey Friar.
IMG_8749.JPG
Brim Fell to Dow Crag.
IMG_8755.JPG
Swirl How.
Prison Band was quite treacherous, so I made my way carefully down to Swirl Hause. The ascent over Keld Gill Head was much easier, then it's an easy walk along to the final little climb to Wetherlam summit.
IMG_8780.JPG
Wetherlam.
I followed Wetherlam Edge so far down, before heading over Tilberthwaite Fells into Greenburn.
IMG_8797.JPG
Swirl How, Broad Slack & Great Carrs from Greenburn.
Went the rough way over Rough Crags, then followed the fell side back to the Three Shire Stone, having enjoyed a great day. :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: 6 fells from the top of Wrynose Pass

Postby dav2930 » Sun May 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Good effort Mamoset, some nice fells there. Last day of April and it looks like the middle of winter! :shock: Excellent photos. :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mamoset » Sun May 01, 2016 4:40 pm

Cheers dav, yeh the weather's certainly odd for Spring :o
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 02, 2016 6:49 am

Beautiful pics Mamoset, as Dav says it looks a lot more like winter :crazy:
I hadn't initially thought to go to Grey Friar, but it looked so close it seemed a shame not to
I sometimes have a thought like that when I'm out...then I give myself a good shake and forget it :lol: Glad you enjoyed the extended day mate, I envy your spirit, I think I left mine blowing hard half way up a hill somewhere :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby trailmasher » Mon May 02, 2016 8:43 pm

Nice report and photos Mamoset :clap: and good weather you had too :) You either set off very early or it was a hell of a dark morning in general when you landed at Three Shires :roll: Well done you :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mamoset » Tue May 03, 2016 6:50 am

trailmasher wrote:Nice report and photos Mamoset :clap: and good weather you had too :) You either set off very early or it was a hell of a dark morning in general when you landed at Three Shires :roll: Well done you :clap:

Cheers trailmasher. Started walk @ 0800 and yes, it looked moody, but was pleasant enough :D
mamoset
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland