walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Force 10 Nitro Lite 2+

Force 10 Nitro Lite 2+

Postby spiderwebb » Mon May 02, 2016 8:05 am

Force 10 Nitro Lite 2+

nitro-lite-2_edited-1.jpg

Anyone any experience with one of these. I like a bit of space, like a porch and to be able to cook inside and this comes up at 1.7kg which given the size is pretty good. Having been use to carrying 2.5kg for a smaller tent this seems a good one.

Various reviews highlighted some minor issues and price is a bit but having had Force Ten standard tents many years ago (probably after seeing them used on Everest :lol: ) the quality has always been excellent.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Force 10 Nitro Lite 2+

Postby Meatball » Mon May 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Were vango and force ten linked at one point?

I've got a helium 200 which I'm very pleased with.

Nice tent....it looks massive!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby spiderwebb » Mon May 02, 2016 7:55 pm

Yes they were. I only realised it was under separate names when I went on the Vango site and couldn't see some of the familiar tents and then hit upon their lightweight section :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Tomsie » Mon May 02, 2016 8:49 pm

On the look out for a new tent as well.

Something light but spacious, was thinking of a Tarpent 3 man and told to check out Ruben/Roben, but would prefer to see them in the "skin" first before purchasing
Using the Tempest 200 last few years decent tent, but looking for more room to sit up in.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby spiderwebb » Tue May 03, 2016 8:10 am

The Robens are light at 1kg but they are same design as so many of the usual lightweight tents with the 'porch' space on the side, which is like my Vango Banshee and its just not enough room to store your pack and cook in. Well not for me, I like a bit of space.

The most natural and spacious design is a tunnel, and from the days of using my Ultimate Peapod, it can stand a battering :D Two hoops and its up, with none of this fiddling with a small upright pole one end as on some.

The Tarp tent couldn't find a 3, but the Scarp 2 is 1.7 kg, same as the Nitro Lite, but again with the side porch, smaller !!

The Nitro Lite also has a version without the extra porch and that comes in a 1.38kg, same size as my North Ridge Torre Lite, except that's 2.5kg.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby basscadet » Tue May 03, 2016 9:36 am

I'm not entirely convinced by your side porch argument, ours has a side porch, and it is big enough for both the packs, boots,a pile of wet waterproofs and more, then we have another porch free for cooking. The trouble with head to porch models is that it is hard to arrange yourself to be cooking and comfy, and I find most of my evening in a tent is spent either cooking various courses or preparing hot drinks, so a major consideration...
I've gone off the really lightweight tents too, fine in the summer and they do have their place, but for the sake of the extra 7-800g, I would rather take something bombproof that I know will be able to hack it. I seem to spend an increasing amount of time in the tent sitting out storms, and prefer to sleep without getting the occasional whack from a floppy tent :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Tomsie » Tue May 03, 2016 5:44 pm

https://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst3.html

quote="basscadet"]I'm not entirely convinced by your side porch argument, ours has a side both the packs, boots,a pile of wet waterproofs and more, then we have another porch free for cooking. The trouble with head to porch models is that it is hard to arrange yourself to be cooking and comfy, and I find most of my evening in a tent is spent either cooking various courses or preparing hot drinks, so a major consideration...
I've gone off the really lightweight tents too, fine in the summer and they do have their place, but for the sake of the extra 7-800g, I would rather take something bombproof that I know will be able to hack it. I seem to spend an increasing amount of time in the tent sitting out storms, and prefer to sleep without getting the occasional whack from a floppy tent :lol:[/quote]

What type are you using, I like idea of double porch.

Dave heres a link, they also have a 4 man that doesn't weight much, but problem is you have to buy to get to see it.
Tomsie
Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Tue May 03, 2016 8:29 pm

I was using a Vango Banshee, and it was ok, not the lightest but not easy to get pitched right if the ground was uneven, also pitches inner first which is not good if its wet.

Then I got one of these, http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/north-ridge-torre-lite-backpacking-tent-p287250

To be fair its been great and loads of room, great porch, and been good in some high winds too. My preferred shape :D But weighs 2.5kg, which I guess isn't much over 1.7 kg, and if there is two of you not such an issue.

Feel like I'm talking myself out of it now :lol:

Looked up that Tarp tent but does it have to be imported ?? May be additional charges.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby bydand_loon » Tue May 03, 2016 8:58 pm

spiderwebb wrote:I was using a Vango Banshee, and it was ok, not the lightest but not easy to get pitched right if the ground was uneven, also pitches inner first which is not good if its wet.

Then I got one of these, http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/north-ridge-torre-lite-backpacking-tent-p287250

To be fair its been great and loads of room, great porch, and been good in some high winds too. My preferred shape :D But weighs 2.5kg, which I guess isn't much over 1.7 kg, and if there is two of you not such an issue.

Feel like I'm talking myself out of it now :lol:

Looked up that Tarp tent but does it have to be imported ?? May be additional charges.

Aye they do, Think I paid 30 odd quid import taxes for my scarp 1, then they stung me for 62 when i got the scarp 2 :( , well worth it Imo.

Someone mentioned the scarp porch higher up the thread, they actually have two, i cook in one and keep all my crap in the other
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby Tomsie » Tue May 03, 2016 9:15 pm

spiderwebb wrote:
Then I got one of these, <a href="http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/north-ridge-torre-lite-backpacking-tent-p287250" class="skimlinks-unlinked" data-skimwords-word="http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gooutdoors.co.uk%2Fnorth-ridge-torre-lite-backpacking-tent-p287250" data-skim-creative="500005" title="">http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/north-ridge-torre-lite-backpacking-tent-p287250</a>

s.

Very similar to Tempest's new design..

Advice I picked up about Tarpents was they have to be pitched into the wind and wouldnt hold a decent dump of snow, if your out in that kind of weather.
Tomsie
Walker

Postby basscadet » Wed May 04, 2016 9:53 am

Tomsie wrote:What type are you using, I like idea of double porch.

We have a Terra Nova Voyager 2.2 atm.. at 2.4kg, not particularly lightweight, but the peace of mind of knowing you will be fine no matter what the weather throws at you is worth it, especially October to May.
People are quick to bad mouth inner pitch first tents, but if you think about it, thats the best way to get a stable, taut frame. If you have the poles on the outside, then they need to be a bit bigger/longer/heavier to get the same amount of space inside, and need more guys to keep them stable. Certainly our tent has a dwr coating on the inner tent, so the couple of minutes in which a few raindrops hit the inner part of the tent while you are putting it up in bad weather, make no difference whatsoever, so the usual argument seems weak. You get the tent wetter by crawling inside with damp clothes :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby murwilson » Mon May 09, 2016 3:26 pm

F10Nitrolite.jpg

I have the older non-lite version as well as this. The original is getting on for 10 years old and has suffered a fair bit of abuse and is currently in at SMG for a bit of TLC. It's a very good tent, pole sleeves are wide enough to double pole it, ski loops on the pole ends to anchor it in snow and meaty guy lines. It weighed in at about 3kg and I trust it in all weathers.

The lite cuts many corners, all the fabric is wafer thin, the poles are DAC featherlite 7.5mm, guylines are single 1.5mm dyneema, pole sleeves are minimal, i.e. only fit one pole, the pegs are those 2g toothpicks. It comes with secondary guy points which I've used with 3mm dyneema in that photo above (you can just make out the glowing line locs) and swapped out the pegs for something more substantial which brings mine in at just under 2kg. I tried my old 8.5mm poles on it and they fit, just, but Vango assure me the 7.5mm are as good as the original 8.5mm.

It stuffs into a pocket on the rucksack with the poles and pegs slipped inside. It's massive for the weight and I found I used it more this winter than the Scarp as I like the space and it stood up fine, although not really tested.

The issues you refer to have, as far as I'm aware, all been addressed from the 2014 model onwards. Mine is from that vintage and has the mods.

Mur
murwilson

Postby Holly » Tue May 10, 2016 1:40 am

I have this tent and bought it basically because I initially wanted the porch to accommodate my two dogs without them coming into the main compartment and mucking up my sleeping bag etc. It hasn't quite/ever worked out that way but the option is there should they be so manky that I cannot within reason allow two sad faces looking at me through the mesh but that's another story. I also have a vaude lizard but the porch is small. If I didnt have the mutts I would be quite happy with it and the Force 10 would never have been bought. BUT,,, there it is. I have the force 10, it is spacious to sleep in, easy to pitch, easy to carry for one person. Absolutely no room for two large adults to sit in the porch comfortably in case that was anyones intention but I have found it a good tent that suffers little condensation, handles bad weather and strong winds, (not experienced awful in it so cant comment there), easy to erect and pack away but a tad expensive in comparison to others. I bought it purely to suit 2 dogs and myself and it is plenty room for sleeping. The length is good too. Hope this helps.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby spiderwebb » Wed May 11, 2016 7:06 am

Cheers for that info, most useful. sad dog faces hmm, I can relate to that :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Anaon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi!

Anyone tried the lighter model, F10 Xenon UL2 : http://www.force-ten.co.uk/gb/tents/229-f10-xenon-ul-2.html

Unfortunately, I didn't find many reviews about it but on the paper, it seems to be a very good model...

Thanks
Anaon
Mountain Walker

Munros:19   
Hewitts:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk