walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stac Pollaidh

Stac Pollaidh

Postby sid0995 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 02/06/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 4 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Quite a straight forward walk this one and the kind of one suitable for a thumping hangover as its not too hard going.
Arrived at the car park and easily found myself a space at 0900hrs. "Shes looking as described in the brochure" I said to myself.
1 Polly car park.jpg

So up the well constructed new path and through a couple of gates I went.
2 1st gate.jpg

I decided to take the clockwise route around and folled the path.
3 Path up.jpg

On may way up looking back I got good views south east around Loch Lurgainn.
4 Loch Lurgainn.jpg

Once on the plateau I could see most of Cul Mor to the east with the usual topping of cloud.
5 Cul Mor.jpg

Soon after a more level path there is a sharp increase where the clockwise and anti-clockwise paths meet and this takes you up to the cairn.
6 Rough path.jpg

Looking over my shoulder north was Loch Sionascaig in front of Suliven.
7 Loch Sionascaig.jpg

The cairn was reached in an hour and I felt at least 4 pints of last nights cider was exorcised!
8 Cairn.jpg

The wind was gusting a bit but hey you only live once, so I scrambled and clambered up the western side of Stac Polly.
9 Scramble up.jpg

As I got a strong signal at the summit but pretty much nowhere near the car so I phoned a couple of folk and checked my emails up there! (what has happened to this world) haha!
I was aware of the popularity of this hill, but the scale no. I passed around 40 people on the descent round the eastern side and back to the car park. Evidence of this popularity is shown here at 1100hrs when its gridlocked!
10 car park at 1100hrs.jpg

Here endeth my report on whats a hill well worth doing if in the area.
Last edited by sid0995 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sid0995
Mountain Walker

Munros:152   Corbetts:11
Fionas:1   

Re: Stac Pollaidh

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Excellent sid. I've had this one in my sights for a while. Did the scramble up to the western summit seem easy enough?
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby sid0995 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:32 pm

Cheers Scott, I found it quite difficult really! Needed to gee myself up a bit with my hangover still in place. Only wish it was a bit clearer on the day, I will do it again next time I'm in Assynt. Gonna get up for some fine looking Corbetts real soon.
sid0995
Mountain Walker

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:04 pm

Sounds like you did well though, many don't bother with the true summit. There was a discussion on it a while back: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2240
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:39 pm

Well from your photos, it at least looks like I can make it to the col! :D
mountain coward

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:08 pm

sid0995 wrote:Quite a straight forward walk this one and the kind of one suitable for a thumping hangover

Is this just a casual observation, as in if one happened to have a "thumping hangover" or are you actually speaking from bitter first hand experience after the cider? :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby sid0995 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:40 pm

Thats the very hangover Greame, switched back to vodka at the weekend but I have to face facts. ANYTHING after a serious bevvy now is difficult. :lol:
sid0995
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland