walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Down Jackets

Down Jackets

Postby Grievesy » Fri May 06, 2016 6:35 am

I was browsing down jackets, Rab is obviously one of the most well known and pricier brands. But prices upwards of £100 had my Scottish tight a**e ancestry twitchin in their graves. Then found this: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/x-light-mens-down-jacket-blue-id_8317718.html and for £30. Rest easy ancestors. Just wondering if anyone has one and if they are good.
Grievesy
Scrambler

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Down Jackets

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri May 06, 2016 7:26 am

Grievesy wrote:I was browsing down jackets, Rab is obviously one of the most well known and pricier brands. But prices upwards of £100 had my Scottish tight a**e ancestry twitchin in their graves. Then found this: <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.decathlon.co.uk/x-light-mens-down-jacket-blue-id_8317718.html</span> and for £30. Rest easy ancestors. Just wondering if anyone has one and if they are good.

Yes, I have one, I have worn it on cold frosty days, snowy days and damp drizzly days, also light rain for short periods. It gets a big thumbs up from me. I have not worn it in heavy rain, which I do not think any down jacket copes well with. It would fit under a spacious goretex waterproof though. It also packs down into a wee pouch provided with it, and so wont take up much room in your rucksack. I tried them on in the Braehead (south of Glasgow) store, and found that the size is different - it is important to note their sizing is smaller than our usual ; I usually take a size Large but in this I take a XXL , I guess they are made in the Far East where people are petite and thus we are lumbering giants in comparison. A very good jacket for a very reasonable price, espesh. when you check out similar jackets in other shops.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby prog99 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:02 am

Yes, decathlon kit is fine.

I would have thought designed in france could influence the sizing. Mine is a size up from what I would have normally bought.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby tentpeg » Fri May 06, 2016 2:19 pm

prog99 wrote:I would have thought designed in France could influence the sizing. Mine is a size up from what I would have normally bought.

Yep and British L is a French XL, for example.
tentpeg

Munros:74   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri May 06, 2016 6:00 pm

tentpeg wrote:
prog99 wrote:I would have thought designed in France could influence the sizing. Mine is a size up from what I would have normally bought.

Yep and British L is a French XL, for example.

Yeh, ok, ok, lets not get bogged down on sizing, the fact is it is a great jacket for the price, and works well. Just try it on first if you can, or order one two sizes bigger than your usual. They do decent trousers too, for less than twenty quid.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby teaandpies » Sat May 07, 2016 1:08 pm

There seems to be very little down in this jacket. The more expensive jackets like the Rab jackets you mentioned are pure down and they tend to have a higher fill power.

http://www.downandfeathercompany.com/how-to-choose-fill-power.aspx

Ellis Brigham have Arc'teryx samples in store just now (down jackets, GTX shells, soft shells, synthetics) 50% RRP but they are all size medium or 12 for the ladies.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby raboldi135 » Sun May 08, 2016 8:16 pm

I have the Forclaz 300 Decathlon down jacket and fully recommend it. Great warmth for the weight and the price.

Cannot post the link for it, i am a new user.
raboldi135
Scrambler

Munros:10   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon May 09, 2016 10:47 am

raboldi135 wrote:I have the Forclaz 300 Decathlon down jacket and fully recommend it. Great warmth for the weight and the price. Cannot post the link for it, i am a new user.

There you go ~ http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-300-mens-down-jacket-black-id_8344417.html
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk