walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The South Glen Shiel Ridge

The South Glen Shiel Ridge

Postby scoob999 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:26 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 30/04/2016

Time taken: 13.3 hours

Distance: 24.5 km

Ascent: 1792m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Attachments

sgsr.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

sgsr2.JPG
Capture.JPG
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: The South Glen Shiel Ridge

Postby boeda » Tue May 10, 2016 7:45 pm

Enjoyed your movie very much. We are planning to walk SGS-ridge this weekend, hopefully snow has melted since then.
boeda
Bird-watcher

Munros:13   

Postby scoob999 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:26 pm

boeda wrote:Enjoyed your movie very much. We are planning to walk SGS-ridge this weekend, hopefully snow has melted since then.

Cheers, I would think so, it's been very hot :shock: P.S we never went the normal way up the first one hence use of the ice axe :roll:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby boeda » Tue May 10, 2016 10:37 pm

Your ascendroute was also what we had in mind. Looked very impressive with the ice axe. :clap:
But maybe we will go round and use the stalkers path. :lol:
boeda
Bird-watcher

Munros:13   

Postby mostie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Awesome video!

I'm looking to walk this ridge at the end of April this year, so at the same time of year as you but there will be people who do not have crampons and ice axes. Do you think it was unusual that you had so much snow up there or do you think we should rather try to do this walk later in the year?

:-)
mostie
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   

Postby teaandpies » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:04 pm

mostie wrote:Awesome video!

I'm looking to walk this ridge at the end of April this year, so at the same time of year as you but there will be people who do not have crampons and ice axes. Do you think it was unusual that you had so much snow up there or do you think we should rather try to do this walk later in the year?

:-)

At this rate we'll be in t shirts by April :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby robodob » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Oh so THAT'S what it looks like, great video. I saw about 50m into grey clouds for the 10hrs it took us...in July.
robodob
Hill Bagger

Munros:183   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:1

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland