walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nothing but blue skies on Skye

Nothing but blue skies on Skye

Postby MilanBohac » Sat May 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn, Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr na Banachdich

Date walked: 20/04/2016

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi everyone!

So the time has come for my fifth trip to Scotland (second for Lukas). I was thinking about the best time to come and April looked like a great choice. I thought the mountains will be not busy and the weather should be good. So on 16th of April we set off for Scotland. On the first day, we did Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas. Great trip but very strong wind. Next day was a bit rainy so we took a day off. Next day the wather looked promising, so I wanted to do Ring of Steall, but we did only An Gearanach since Lukas was exhausted and I didn't want to drag him with me when he is not so experienced in the mountains yet. An Gearanach was great, nice views, but I want to write about next three days. These three days were the best I have ever experienced in Scotland.

After An Gearanach, we moved to Isle of Skye. For 20th of April, the forecast were cloudy hills with a chance of clearing in the evening. I said Lukas we should try it and climb Bla Bheinn. There, we can wait for the top to clear. So we set off around 1 pm. It was around 3 pm when we got to the summit. It was all in a cloud. But I said, let's trust the forecast. So we stayed at the top for almost two hours. It was only us on the summit. And it cleared. The whole top was suddenly in the sunlight and the views were just breathtaking! Only the Cuillin ridge stayed with cloud hat. Here are some pictures and a short video from the summit. 8)

DSC_0516.JPG
Trig point

DSC_0537.JPG
Views

DSC_0529.JPG
Black Cuillin it the cloud

DSC_0456.JPG
Our new bird friend :)

DSC_0535.JPG
Flying...

DSC_0527.JPG
Views

The next day, weather looked good. So we agreed we will try to climb Sgurr Alasdair. And so we did. Small shower on the way up, but then... Amazing. :thumbup:

DSC_0571.JPG
Me on the top :)

DSC_0563.JPG
Coire a' Ghrunnda

DSC_0573.JPG
Blaven in the cloud

DSC_0585.JPG
Inn pin and Sgurr na Banachdaich

DSC_0586.JPG
Coire Lagan

DSC_0591.JPG
Northern Cuillin and Mhic Choinnich

On the third day, we decided to try Sgurr na Banachdaich. It was much more easy than Alasdair and the views were just stunning! :shock: 8)

DSC_0603.JPG
Coruisk and Blaven

DSC_0618.JPG
Summit photo

DSC_0601.JPG
Sgurr a Ghreadaidh

DSC_0598.JPG
Loch Coruisk

DSC_0621.JPG
Southern Cuillin

I just wanted to share this beautiful experience. I hope you'll like it. :wink:

DSC_0625.JPG
The Ridge

And Scotland, hey. I will be back.
MilanBohac
Munro compleatist

Munros:25   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Nothing but blue skies on Skye

Postby Silverhill » Sun May 15, 2016 9:52 pm

Stunning, Skye at its best 8) ! I'm planning to return to Skye this summer and like you will save the trip for a clear day.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby litljortindan » Mon May 16, 2016 1:28 pm

Well done on waiting out the cloud on Blaven.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby MilanBohac » Fri May 20, 2016 4:55 pm

Yeah, I learned a bit of patience there :wink:
MilanBohac
Munro compleatist

Munros:25   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland