walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Taps Aff

Taps Aff

Postby Backpacker » Sun May 15, 2016 9:52 am

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 14/05/2016

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1221m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What a decision this weekend, where to go?

I was walking solo so had a look at the red balloons and opted for the pair just by Dalmally.

I arrived at the parking spot by the bridge around half 5am :shock: :shock: , had something to eat, faffed and was away just after 6. :D

While getting ready although the skies were as blue as I've seen them all year there was still quite a nip in the air (met office was forecasting -8C on the summits) so the fleece and jacket were donned for the walk in.

The track winds its way around back of the farm and then starts to head up (making an attempt to avoid the cows and their young.) no sooner had I started heading uphill, that I had to stop to remove my fleece before continuing, It's good track that warms the legs up nicely as I could see ahead to the slog that awaited me further up.

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (1 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (2 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

Further up the track I spotted a rather large cairn which according to my map was going to be my way down, I considered for about a nanosecond about heading up that way then continued on my merry way :lol: :lol:

The track drops down slightly before heading back uphill, after a couple hundred metres there's a right hand turn and further on a small cairn indicating the way up.

I had a brief stop here to take in the views and take on board some fluids before the slog up.

There is a path of some description that seems to wander all over the hillside, I opted the take a more direct approach as I was sure I'd meet the better path higher up.

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (6 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

About half way up I had to stop and remove my jacket, this slog was starting to become hard work, there was a lot of puffing & panting going on :lol: :lol:

Once I found the better path it got a bit easier as it wound it's up towards the ridge, taking the strain out of the direct approach. It wasn't too long before I emerged on the ridge and what greeted me was well worth the effort of getting up.

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (7 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (8 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

Once on the ridge it was a case of hang a left and the easy wander over the the 1st summit of the day, Beinn a' Chochuill with some wonderfull views over and down Loch Etive and up Glen Kinglas :D

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (11 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (12 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (14 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (15 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

After a bite to eat I headed back the way I came and headed over the ridge towards Beinn Eunaich, I wan't particularly looking forward to this bit as from a distance it looked a bit steep but as I followed the ridge over and down towards the bealach, the profile got less intimidating and it turned out to be far far easier than I'd thought with a path nicely weaving it's way up and through a couple of small rocky areas.

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (16 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (17 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

It wasn't too long before I got to the summit and the views from here were just magic, far better then the previous summit :D :D

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (21 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (22 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (24 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

After another bite to eat, a smoke and a drink it was time to start heading back to the car, the way down from here was great, nice and easy underfoot, nothing steep (yet) and you have a cracking view of Loch Awe to keep you company, it was on the way down that I started to meet people heading the other way (maybe they knew something I didn't)

ImageBeinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich (27 of 27) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

Soon I was staring almost straight down at the track below me and a horribly eroded path, I tried to make things easier by sticking to the sides and followed the path down, just taking my time, I'd had a cracking morning and didn't want to ruin it now. It took a bit of time and soon arrived at the track. All that was left for me to do was stroll back to the car. I noticed on the way back that the 1st gate you walk through had turned into a makeshift car park, maybe it's allowed at weekend and there's room for about a dozen cars.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Taps Aff

Postby jamesb63 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:30 am

Very nice report and pics :clap: the views are great up on the top
I was in Spittal of Glenshee doing 4 and I never stopped till I dropped
into Gleann Taitneach it was like life in the freezer :shock: set out at 6am
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby kev_russ » Mon May 16, 2016 10:29 am

That was an early start alright. I ended up camping at the castle & set off around 7.45. I saw a lone figure on the ridge en route to Beinn Eunaich so that was probably you. Twis a braw day 8)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Backpacker » Mon May 16, 2016 4:56 pm

kev_russ wrote:That was an early start alright. I ended up camping at the castle & set off around 7.45. I saw a lone figure on the ridge en route to Beinn Eunaich so that was probably you. Twis a braw day 8)

I was keeping an eye out but didn't spot anyone heading up after me unless you were one of the ones I saw coming towards me as I was coming off
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby kev_russ » Mon May 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Backpacker wrote:
kev_russ wrote:That was an early start alright. I ended up camping at the castle & set off around 7.45. I saw a lone figure on the ridge en route to Beinn Eunaich so that was probably you. Twis a braw day 8)

I was keeping an eye out but didn't spot anyone heading up after me unless you were one of the ones I saw coming towards me as I was coming off

Nah I would've recognised you Gaz :wink: As I left the junction & started the ascent to the ridge & the 1st Munro Beinn a' Chochuill I saw a tiny figure nearly at the summit of Beinn Eunaich. Maybe it was you.
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland