walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BenLui V's Meall Nan Gabhar

BenLui V's Meall Nan Gabhar

Postby davetherave » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Lui, Ben Oss

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Chuirn

Fionas included on this walk: Meall nan Gabhar

Date walked: 05/06/2010

Time taken: 18 hours

Distance: 32 km

Ascent: 2800m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday 5TH June 2010
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. Clear, sunny, mainly blue skies, 2nd day poor Vis
Time. 9 hrs + 9 hrs
Distance. 32 km
Ascent. 2800 m
Hills. Munro’s x 4
Corbett’s x 1
Grahams x 1

route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ben Lui, Beinn Chleibh, Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig

Beinn Churin

Meall Nan Gabhar

Starting from.

Dalrigh on A85

Usual start point at Dalrigh, we walked along the track to the farm at Cononish then cut off and headed for the mine. About 1/2km from the mine we headed NW up the slopes, then W for the final steep push on to the summit of the Corbett Beinn Churin.
Beinn a Chruin.JPG

Beinn a Chruin (1).JPG
steep gully near the summit

Ben lui (2).JPG
Beinn Lui from Beinn a Chruin

SW off the summit is 773 spot height, we skirted round there and down through some crags before crossing the Allt an Rund. From there we climbed hard and steep before eventually entering Coire Goathach and getting our first real views of Ben Lui.
route to Ben Lui Coire.JPG

route to Ben Lui Coire (4).JPG
hold on there

route to Ben Lui Coire (5).JPG
hold on there

Ben Lui..JPG

This is where the Hills beauty is exposed, with the semi circle of its dark steep Coire rising to the summit, still holding small pockets of the last of the winters/spring/summer! snow.
Soon we find the track that gets us up onto the ridge then on to the summit.

Ben Lui ridge (1).JPG

Ben Lui ridge (2).JPG

Ben Lui summit.JPG

We now head for Beinn Chleibh at 913 m, that’s just what the feet ordered. (They were now aching) we are on the summit within the hour. Weather is still fine so we decide to horse on and try to reach the Graham Meall Nan Gabhar, this was where we planned to camp over night and it now looked like we were bang on target.

We head SW, then we get our first glimpse of Meall Nan Gabhar… what a surprise for a wee hill, standing there all on its own with its NE side facing us. There really was not an easy approach up this steep face; there were several weak spots. But nothing easy. We pick our route while descending Beinn Chleibh, just N of the 743 summit, not the easiest, put it sure did look fun.

Meall Nan Gabhar (1).JPG

Meall Nan Gabhar (2).JPG

Meall Nan Gabhar (4).JPG

The climb was in 2 halves. Up through crags, Steep through a gully. It then levelled of for a short spell then becoming steep through crags once again, before emerging on the summit.

Sun set from Meall nan Gabhar (3).JPG

Sun set from Meall nan Gabhar (4).JPG

For me this turned out to be the surprise of the weekend. From the first views when descending Beinn Chleibh, when making the steep climb to the summit, the perfect High level pitch, sun set views, sun rise views and finally the views looking back when we left in the morning. What a great wee hill this is.

sun rise from Meall nan Gabhar (1).JPG

sun rise from Meall nan Gabhar (2).JPG

sun rise from Meall nan Gabhar (3).JPG

looking back to Meall nan Gabhar (2).JPG

Camping gear packed we traverse the ridge and descend off the hill and are now heading for the Bealach at the head of Coire Laoigh, from here we join the path and head for the summit of Ben Oss.

We found this pretty tough, our feet were aching real bad, I was even getting the first sign of blisters appearing on my feet, and Julie was moaning about having to carry big packs on long hikes…. Mmmmmm

Unfortunately the weather was very poor compared to yesterday. There was very little rain, but the views, they were crap at times.

Ben Lui from Ben Oss.JPG

Ben Oss summit.JPG

It took us a while to reach Ben Oss from the Graham in the morning; our pace had slowed somewhat since the day before. But now that we were here, and the mist had come in again we decided to move on at our snails pace to our final hill
Beinn Dubhchraig. Thankfully this looked not to bad at all. We simply horseshoed round Coire Garbh then up the steep meandering path that would eventually see us on to the summit.

Ben Dubhcraig.JPG

Ben Dubhcraig (1).JPG

Ben Dubhcraig summit.JPG

We meant to take the N ridge off the hill but I ended up dropping into the Coire, and by the time I had realised, well I never had the energy or the strength to get my self up onto the higher ridge so decided to follow the Allt Coire Dubhchraig to the edge of the woods, and carry on through the forest walk and emerging on the track. Leaving only a short distance to go before reaching the car.

PS…
If you get the chance to climb the Graham Meall Nan Gabhar please do,I cant recommend it enough.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: BenLui V's Meall Nan Gabhar

Postby monty » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Great report Dave....

Some nice steep bits up Beinn a Chruin and Meall Nan Gabhar.Thats quite a long walk but broken up nicely with a high camp. Looks like were inventing new ways to do these hills. I think Julie should be handing you some of her pack to carry though :lol:

Is it my imagination or is that a huge tent? :shock:
monty

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:40 pm

That looks a grand trip Dave... bit tiring with the tent :shock:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby gaffr » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:38 am

You've hardly got your breath back since the last big walkabout :) Don't worry about the lady carrying the tent folks....I've got the feeling that young Wilson is being gently broken in for this task in the near future :D he looks quite comfortable with his wee pannier strapped on to his back....his own food supplies?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby davetherave » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:30 pm

i thought it would be good for the dog to do his fair share Gaffr. i also thought if he could carry the water, tent , sleeping bags etc....etc.. what a boost that would be.

But most of the above mentioned is the wifes job...... :D ......... no point in stressing the dog he has been getting dtressed enough recently. :lol: :lol: :lol: take a look here.! http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5276
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland