walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Maoile Lunndaidh on a good day

Maoile Lunndaidh on a good day

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat May 14, 2016 6:04 pm

Route description: Maoile Lunndaidh

Munros included on this walk: Maoile Lunndaidh

Date walked: 13/05/2016

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 26.5 km

Ascent: 1355m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was day 2 of my North West adventure, I was still a bit achy from yesterdays outing and my backside was rather tender :lol: The thought of another long cycle was not very appealing, but when you are on a mission you soldier on.
After a good old full breakfast of cereal, toast and the cooked breakfast I was ready for the off, just the matter of getting from Drumnadrochit to Craig. Destination was already in the Satnav so off I went trusting the Satnav religiously and it didn't let me down taking me through Beauly and then onto a very familiar road the A835 which would take me through Garve and beyond before arriving at the parking area in Craig. There were already a few cars in the car park so I was expecting to meet someone on my travels.
I set off on my bike at 9.45 and once across the railway line was cycling along quite nicely, however that didn't last too long as the uphill section loomed ahead. I was expecting it and was kind of looking forward to freewheeling on the way back 8)

Image Looking a bit gloomy ahead

Image Looking back

Image Glenuaig Lodge in the distance

Image The locals tucking into breakfast

Image Bike park

The cycle to the plantation area wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting, especially distance wise and once I passed the path for Sgurr Choinnich I knew it wasn't that much further on, plus it was also flatish. The one fly in the ointment was a stiffish breeze which was right in my face, I was finding it hard enough without that handicap as well :(
Once the bike was parked I set off across the dry boggy undulating ground, after the recent dry spell the ground was fairly firm, with the occassional squidgy spot. I was heading for the left hand shoulder and I knew this would involve crossing a couple of burns, they weren't a problem and no wandering up and down the river bank was required (for a change).
For the purists who struggle without a path, this is not the hill for you. There was a path heading uphill very close to the burn, but that didn't last long. The only other path I saw was on the broad summit ridge, so if you are walking in the clag, navigating would be a bit more challenging than usual.

Image Slow moving burn, note the undulating terrain

Image No shortage of locals watching me

Image Looking back down to the Lodge

Image The next burn, hardly a problem

Image Water feature

Image More water

Image Looking back down, the plantation in the distance, note the path

Image The ridge that would take me round to the descent route

Image Looking north

The walk up the shoulder to the summit is just a matter of plodding on, nothing difficult or steep. The terrain varies from tufty grassy to smallish boulders. Once the summit cairn came into sight I saw a chap approaching from the other direction, we both reached the cairn about the same time. He told me he had walked from Craig having left 2 hours before me, I suppose that indicates how much time a bike can save and it would be even better going back downhill to the car 8) :lol: We had a brief chat and he was telling me he had 11 Munro's left and like me still had Fisherfield to visit :wink:
Here are a few panoramic shots for the mountain purists, Maoile Lunndaidh really does give you great views in all directions.

Now to the walk round the ridge before the steep descent. The summit is large and has scattered stones across, I was heading west and got a very pleasant surprise when I saw Fuar-tholl Mor, what a sight :clap: 8)

Image Looking down, rather spectacular

Image Above not zoomed

Image Rather impressive looking cornice

Image Close up

Image Won't be too long before this tumbles downwards

Image Love the shapes snow can make

Now to the going down bit, I was following the shoulder slightly downhill, then you kind of reach the end of the slight descent and it gets pretty steep. I felt like I was almost looking down vertically onto the river below. I am glad the grass was dry, had it been wet or damp the descent would have been slow and interesting :lol:

Image I just about stood on these two

I took four photo's of them and when I saw the photo's I thought what is that I have been photographing, had I taken some photo's accidentally :lol: Then I remembered my two feathered friends who didn't move too far away from me.

Image Looking down onto An Crom-allt, it does get steeper

Image The track in the distance

Image No obvious path and it doesn't look very steep either :(

Once I reached the flatter terrain there is the stream to cross and then the undulating grassy boggy stuff to negotiate before reaching my bike.
Once on my bike it really was plain sailing, I think I only dismounted once, which is pretty good for me and the final bit back down to Craig took no time at all - my brakes got a good test out :roll:
A really enjoyable day on a very remote hill, considering the number of folk who are now into the hill walking you would expect some sort of path somewhere, but I suppose this could be a good hill to finish on before you start on the pathless Corbett's :lol: :lol:
No peace for the wicked, I am off to Mullardoch tomorrow (Sunday) which is a bit like a mini meet, there may even be 13 folk and one dog :lol: Then Monday off to Carn Eige with simon-b :wink: Bring it on 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Maoile Lunndaidh on a good day

Postby martin.h » Sat May 14, 2016 11:31 pm

Wow! you're knocking them off in style Martin, another great report and the good weather has been with you again.
I think we'll get some bikes, if we can get two in the car, they seem to be very beneficial on the long days.

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby simon-b » Thu May 19, 2016 10:55 am

Nice you got views and dry ground for this one, Martin. It's a hill with a challenge or two in mixed conditions.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby PeteR » Thu May 19, 2016 12:22 pm

I hope you visited the cairn on Creag Toll a'Choin as well Martin, as I believe those students with their digital tape measures have suggested a little while back that it's higher than the "official" summit. I'd hate for you to have to revisit on the old bicycle to re-compleat :shock: Your GPS route suggests you gave it a swerve..........

Me, I saw a cairn and I visited it...............those students won't catch me out :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland