walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bheula, Day 1 of the Corbett adventure

Beinn Bheula, Day 1 of the Corbett adventure

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu May 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Route description: Beinn Bheula, near Lochgoilhead

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bheula

Date walked: 12/05/2016

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 8.81 km

Ascent: 902m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to be the first walking day of six with the main targets being Corbetts. Having dropped off the wife at Edinburgh Airport and then driven through Glasgow and Greenock towards the Gourock Western Ferry terminal to take me to Dunoon where I was to be staying for a few days. The nearest Corbett to Dunoon is Beinn Bheula especially if you take this route, climbed from the West side (Loch Eck) We arrived at Invernoaden which is marked on the OS map, drove up the driveway and parked at the Y junction where there is enough room for maybe two small cars. Booted up ready to go at 2.20pm, we headed up the forest track on our left in a NE direction following the burn on the West side, nearing the end of the trees we crossed over the burn at a very slippy wooden bridge crossing, take care, crossed a gate and followed a feint ATV track onto the open hillside. The fence at the gate had sufficient room for access for a small dog. There were quite a few sheep with lambs at lower level at the start of the walk so we kept Poppy on the lead for the duration of the walk just in case.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
On the ferry heading to Dunoon
2.JPG
The other ferry passing, Dunoon in the background
3.JPG
Starting up the forestry track
4.JPG
The very slippy wooden bridge which is used to cross the burn
4a.JPG
Looking back the way way had come. Although dry underfoot conditions the long tufty grass made quite hard going especially since the temperature was about 28 degrees. We followed the fence line on our left
5.JPG
Heading up towards Carnach Mor, which is en route to the summit tackling the hill this side something which you may wish to consider when tackling this hill
6.JPG
Poppy was panting in the heat, we had taken additional water for her just in case there was no water up top
7.JPG
We made a line for Carnach Mor where there are numerous caves to explore within the rocky outcrops
7a.JPG
In good weather fine but could pose problems in poor visibility
8.JPG
The summit of Beinn Bheula in the distance
8a.JPG
A wee Lochan for the Poppy to have a drink
9.JPG
Poppy is still very young and has not quite grasped the art of heel
10.JPG
Myself and Moira at the summit of Beinn Bheula
10a.JPG
Poppy not got the art of looking at the camera as well, ah well never mind another five training awaits
10b.JPG
In a tangle heading on down the way we had come but below Carnach Mor
10c.JPG
Heavy machinery for the logging.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Beinn Bheula, Day 1 of the Corbett adventure

Postby falling monkey » Fri May 20, 2016 1:19 pm

looked a great day out on one of my local hills,was trying to think where that wooden bridge is that you crossed as I,ve never seen it on the way I usually go. I normally go up forestry road until fork to left and follow that until you come out at open ground, nice peat hags and rough walk up to Beula. Had to sit it out on here in a total whiteout once when I couldn,t see 15m in front of me and was only 200m from summit, next time was total heatwave, still need to get that graham done on the other side of loch eck one of these days.
falling monkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:126   Corbetts:18
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Tomsie » Fri May 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Enjoy the break, hope the weathers kind and you get some walks in.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat May 21, 2016 9:21 pm

falling monkey wrote:looked a great day out on one of my local hills,was trying to think where that wooden bridge is that you crossed as I,ve never seen it on the way I usually go. I normally go up forestry road until fork to left and follow that until you come out at open ground, nice peat hags and rough walk up to Beula. Had to sit it out on here in a total whiteout once when I couldn,t see 15m in front of me and was only 200m from summit, next time was total heatwave, still need to get that graham done on the other side of loch eck one of these days.

It must be quite near when the track closes in near the burn before going away again. You drop down to burn about twenty m then up to the wee gate with an access hole for dog's quite hard going in tufty grass but should normally be ok just the heat
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 22, 2016 6:27 am

Tomsie wrote:Enjoy the break, hope the weathers kind and you get some walks in.

Thanks Tomsie. Off on another break to Rum. Getting way behind with the reports:-(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby PeteR » Fri May 27, 2016 10:06 am

Did this one by the traditional WH route.........found it hard going. Currently not on my repeat list :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri May 27, 2016 12:42 pm

PeteR wrote:Did this one by the traditional WH route.........found it hard going. Currently not on my repeat list :lol:

I found it quite hard as well Pete, but much shorter car journey gave us a bit more time. The rocky section with caves added to this walk, which normally you would miss going the WH way, a nice start to a very successful few days on the hill :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland