walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bogless Beinn a'Ghlo

Bogless Beinn a'Ghlo

Postby teaandpies » Tue May 17, 2016 11:18 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 16/05/2016

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1239m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'll keep this short, there are plenty of reports on this hill and I've got nothing new to add really.

Out again for a wee adventure in Perthshire. Beinn a'Ghlo was worth doing while we still had decent weather so Picked up Pieplough at 6am and headed out of Glasgow, couldn't believe how busy the roads were at that time. Where is everyone going?

We got to the 'car park' with no dramas, there was a car there already I parked next to it but a respectful distance away. I would say if you have a low car or really like your car be bloody careful here as the parking area looks like no mans land, what a bloody mess.
I don't know how or why but my left wing mirror had been folded in when I returned to my car at the end of the walk which annoyed me a little.

All the reading I done was saying this is a tough walk and it was pretty tough but it's nowhere as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe the decent weather (apart from the bitter cold wind), maybe the cloudless summits or maybe it was the dry ground. All these conditions made for a great day.

Quote of the day from Pie Plough... "It'd be nice to actually start a walk in shape!" :lol:

Above stats from Walkhighlands however a 'Fitbit' Pieplough was using said that we walked 27km so I'm not sure what's the right distance.

Ready for the walk.

After the short walk up the track it's time for the walk proper.

You can't see it but I there's a huge heard of deer right at the shed, how the hell did I miss that? :crazy:

The famous white path.

The approach to the false summit.

Carn Liath's trig point and summit cairn.

Looking to Schiehallion.

Starting the ridge walk.

Pigplough with the entire Cairngorms right there!

The next 2 hills.

I'd advise not cutting the corner on the ridge, better views on the high bit.

Looking back to Carn Liath.

2 down, that one 'just' over there to go.

Just follow the path.

The top of Carn nan Gabhar is pretty rocky, it slows ya right down. Great views all round.

Pieplough on the summit.

Looking to the trig from the summit.

The walk out was long but because it hadn't rained for about 10 days the ground was very dry and made the going really easy.

Looking back to the hills we'd walked.

At some point the path forks and we took the wrong prong :roll: You won't be able to see them here but there are 3 or 4 walkers away above us on a higher path.

(walked with pieplough
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: Bogless Beinn a'Ghlo

Postby Jaxter » Tue May 17, 2016 11:27 pm

Awww all the snow is gone :(

Epic pictures though, this is one of my favourite ever walks, they are special mountains. Glad you managed to get good weather and views 8) :D :clap:

And a dry walk out - maybe never happened before!? :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby teaandpies » Wed May 18, 2016 9:47 am

Jaxter wrote:And a dry walk out - maybe never happened before!? :lol:

I had a brief conversation with a gentleman whom declared that it was the driest he's ever seen the walk out and apparently he's walked it many times. Glutton for punishment sir? :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu May 19, 2016 2:12 am

I was on these hills last year and walked out over Airgiod Bheinn but still didn't escape the bogfest :( . Looks like you picked a good time to do them. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby teaandpies » Sat May 21, 2016 11:04 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:I was on these hills last year and walked out over Airgiod Bheinn but still didn't escape the bogfest :( . Looks like you picked a good time to do them. :D

I think I just got very lucky.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland