walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grey Hill

Grey Hill

Postby Johnoneill1916 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:15 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Grey Hill

Date walked: 22/05/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 349m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off with Fraoch from the Car park just off the A77 on the south side of Girvan, a place with a great wee snack hut that I've spent many a lunch break :lol: Cut up left toward Brochneil farm with the intention of walking up the ridge over Byne Hill but No Entry/Private signs put me off going through with the dog so instead headed along the A714 to Pinminnoch and picked up the path over the rail line and over to Drumfairn Farm. From here I headed over Cairn Hill, Fern Hill and finally onto Grey Hill :D Ground was pretty firm other than small patches and going was easy all the way and with the clear day I had cracking views over to Arran, Antrim, Mull of Kintyre and up the Ayrshire coast.

Grey Hill from Cairn Hill
P1110770.JPG

A wee rest at the top
P1110833.JPG

Coffee Time
P1110839.JPG

Old monument slightly worse for wear
P1110866.JPG

From the top I headed back down quad tracks to the monument in the low ground between Cairn Hill and Byne Hill and then down through the Woodland farm/Pub then along the beach to the car park for a deserved cheese burger for me and ice cream for the dug :D
Last edited by Johnoneill1916 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnoneill1916
Bird-watcher

Munros:11   Corbetts:4
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:17   
Islands:7

Re: Grey Hill

Postby FromDownSouth » Sun May 22, 2016 7:46 pm

Love the second pic with your hound staring out from the trig point - stunning "dug" :D
FromDownSouth
Mountaineer

Re: Grey Hill

Postby Johnoneill1916 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:12 am

Thanks, Shes a wee poser :)
Johnoneill1916
Bird-watcher

Munros:11   Corbetts:4
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:17   
Islands:7

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland