walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

South glen shiel ridge

South glen shiel ridge

Postby mr_mrsH » Mon May 23, 2016 8:41 pm

In the summer we are looking to do the south glen shiel ridge and am looking for some advice on the various ways of doing it,

Option 1, park at Cluanie cycle to lay-by at finish and do in reverse. Pros on doing it this way are that cycling will be mostly downhill, finish at Cluanie and drive to pick up bikes. Are there any negative about doing it in reverse.

Option 2, park in lay-by at finish and cycle back to Cluanie although mostly uphill so don't really fancy this option.

Option 3, park at Cluanie, climb from there and catch bus, cadge a lift back. Does anybody know the bus times or are they a bit erratic

Any help, opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   

Re: South glen shiel ridge

Postby gman » Mon May 23, 2016 9:06 pm

I did option 1, no problems. I cycled uphill to the start of the Brothers before, you get impatient cars behind you and you're more tired at the start of the walk. Possible negatives: more ascent on the walk, good views are behind you (so turn around & take pics) and the path up to Bealach Duibh Leac might not be obvious.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mrssanta » Mon May 23, 2016 9:30 pm

if using the bus option I'd drive to the finish and get the bus to the start. That way you don't need to worry about getting back in time.
The bus is expensive though, make sure you take enough money. it was £7.50 each when we tried it and we only had a tenner so we had to get off and find a plan b
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon May 23, 2016 10:28 pm

Am going to throw a wee spanner in the works about the way I came off the ridge.From the top of Creag nan Damh I went over the edge in a NW direction although steep I took my time and it was easy enough with a 65Ltr pack on.I then followed the river Am Fas Allt till it meets a path at a junction of 3 streams and follow this out to the Eas-nan-Arm bridge,where the Battle of Glenshiel took place.It cuts out quite a few Kms.

There is a couple of pics from this report which gives a idea of the terrain

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18519
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Jaxter » Mon May 23, 2016 10:43 pm

Did this on Saturday with the 2 car trick. Before I realised there were like-minded people around that were good fun to walk with, I had been planning to cycle it... :shock: I'll warn you....it's a very long way....10 minute drive in the car and plenty of hills :crazy: Could always try posting in the meets section to see if anyone else would be up for doing it and sharing transport? :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Fairweather Softie » Mon May 23, 2016 10:54 pm

Hi,

Did option 1 last year, locked bike up on bridge, and then mostly downhill to lay-by. I say mostly as you do have a couple of climbs early in cycle. I seem to recall my gps picking up impressive speeds recorded due to downhills

I had done the brothers the day before so was feeling it on legs, if you have long drive home remember and get a good stretch before setting off, took me 20 mins to get out of the car when I got home, legs kept cramping.
Fairweather Softie
Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 23, 2016 11:09 pm

A variant of option 2 for me but does involve an uphill cycle - I wanted the option of adding Sgurr na Sgine and The Saddle by going over (the then but now demoted corbett, Sgurr a'Bhac Chaolais) so left a bike in the trees beside the road at Malagan Bridge (over the Allt Mhalagain). Then started at Cluanie and went east to west which has the advantage of looking to the west, Knoydart etc. This meant I could add the other hills or not depending on how it went but still come back to the road near the bike - in the end I did add the other hills but it did mean an uphill cycle back to the car. Link below if it's of any help - cheers :)
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24393
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby prog99 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:35 pm

Option 4 - Taxi (who seemed to quite happily drive a reasonable way up the path behind Cluanie).
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Challum » Tue May 24, 2016 10:51 pm

I have found it fairly easy to thumb a lift and I have given lifts to folk in that area. Failing that, I would take the bus from the finish to Cluanie as suggested earlier.
Challum

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion