walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Lochain, Day 2 of the Corbett adventure

Beinn an Lochain, Day 2 of the Corbett adventure

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu May 26, 2016 9:43 am

Route description: Beinn an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Lochain

Date walked: 13/05/2016

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 4.22 km

Ascent: 678m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day Two of the Corbett adventure had Moira, Grant and myself meeting up at the layby on the A83 just above the Butterbridge car park to tackle the fine looking Beinn an Lochain one of Grant's favourite and most climbed local hills. It was dry and sunny at the start and with the recent good weather the section just after the crossing of the burn at the start was looking promisingly dry.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Grant and Moira with Poppy raring to go at the lay by, weather looking good
2.JPG
First river crossing made easier at the weir
3.JPG
A good well defined path virtually all the way to the summit gaining height very quickly, photo looking back to parking area to the left of large stone. No problems with underfoot conditions
4.JPG
Poppy waiting for the others, she's a fine help on the way up pulling most of the way
5.JPG
Looking back over the Rest and be thankful Car parking area
6.JPG
Higher up on the climb looking back down Glen Kinglas where we were to be going in a couple of days time when we climbed Binnein an Fhidhleir on the other side of the road
7.JPG
Moira wishing she had Poppy pulling her up the climb. Pathway very dry and no problems
8.JPG
Looking North East down the flank of Beinn an Lochain
9.JPG
A bit of low cloud starting to roll in, fingers crossed it will blow away for the summit views
10.JPG
Summit group photo, unfortunately cloud still low so no views but did manage to see that there was another summit beyond which appeared to be slightly lower according to my GPS, but both were covered just in case. Does anyone know the actual summit? certainly the most Northerly one had a slighly larger cairn. It was here we met our first sign of company on the hill, Hi again if your reading this
12.JPG
One of the down climbs but nothing complicated and Poppy took it in her stride. Roll on tomorrow Day 3 of the Corbett adventure on Ben Donich and The Brack
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Beinn an Lochain, Day 2 of the Corbett adventure

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 26, 2016 11:29 am

Great to see you on boat Rod! Was on Rum yesterday - didn't risk a summit in case I missed ferry so went to ridge then was back with hour and half to spare!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu May 26, 2016 12:44 pm

dogplodder wrote:Great to see you on boat Rod! Was on Rum yesterday - didn't risk a summit in case I missed ferry so went to ridge then was back with hour and half to spare!

It was lovely to meet you both, and the dogs of course, hope the nice weather continues for you. I loved Rum and must admit to wanting to visit Egg as well very soon.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby PeteR » Fri May 27, 2016 9:45 am

One of my favourite hills this Rod. For a short walk it gives a real flavour of "mountain" :D I really should return sometime
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri May 27, 2016 12:52 pm

PeteR wrote:One of my favourite hills this Rod. For a short walk it gives a real flavour of "mountain" :D I really should return sometime

Agreed a very nice hill, climbing nothing too steep but not a lot of height lost either on way to summit. Superb views all around.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland