walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My first Munro and Corbett

My first Munro and Corbett

Postby Smuainteach » Sat May 28, 2016 12:36 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 26/05/2016

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 16.6 km

Ascent: 1386m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So the time came for me to tackle my first Munro. My dad and I decided that we'd attempt the three peaks on this walk: The Cobbler, Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme. We set out early in the morning and arrived at Succoth car park around eight o'clock.

Rather than taking the path up the riverbed as specified, we decided to do the walk in reverse and started walking up through the woods. I think we were both a little taken aback at how tiring this was, and the sun had come out to make it very warm. We stopped for a quick break before emerging out of the trees and up to the dam.

We decided that we'd tackle the Cobbler first and walked up a rather boggy incline to the ridge. The view of the peak was excellent here as you can see, and the ridge itself was a nice respite after some steep inclines on the way up. The sunshine began to desert us here, unfortunately - just after we'd stopped to apply sun lotion.

The view from the top was excellent as expected. I elected not to thread the needle to reach the true peak - perhaps another time. We had a short break and then began our descent down a very helpful stone staircase. We came to the crossroads at the bealach and decided to do Beinn Ìme next.

The view across to the surrounding hills was excellent and it was a gentler climb which was nice. Legs were beginning to tire a little here and looking over at Beinn Narnain I could feel my motivation to do all three hills beginning to waver a little.

We sheltered under the cairn for a while and had some lunch before beginning the descent. It's always a lot easier coming down and we managed it in just under forty minutes before reaching the gate again. At this stage, we decided not to tackle Beinn Narnain - while it was tempting, I don't think either of us were fit enough to manage all of it. We took the path back between Narnain and the Cobbler.

When we reached the dam again we decided to take a left and go down the path we would have come up originally had we followed the route outlined. It turned out to be a bit tougher than we'd expected and not easy on the knees either, but we managed it well enough. We got back to the car park tired and glad. I'll be back to do Beinn Narnain sometime soon - I'll possibly try and combine it with Beinn Mhùrlaig.
Attachments

26-MAY-16 03_23_06 PM.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Smuainteach
Hill Bagger

Munros:2   Corbetts:1

Re: My first Munro and Corbett

Postby teaandpies » Sat May 28, 2016 9:10 pm

If you can walk a Corbett or another smaller with a Munro do it, that would be my advice as someone that's missed out on a couple because of poor research :roll:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: My first Munro and Corbett

Postby simon-b » Sun May 29, 2016 1:31 am

Well done on getting your first Munro. I hope you manage to return for Narnain before too long. If you keep up with the hillwalking, it will soon become easier.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland