walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis via the CMD Arete from Corie Leis

Ben Nevis via the CMD Arete from Corie Leis

Postby BuzyG » Mon May 30, 2016 12:08 am

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 20/05/2016

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1650m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great walk, Hard Walk so worth the effort. :D

Walked up past the CiC hut. Pleasant walk not too steep. Rain so far. Couldn't cross the Alt there. Too much melt water. Intended to climb out of the Corie past the buff and around to the right up to the Cairn No way up there this day Dangerous damp snow all the way up. Rain now turned to sleet. So I turned left and dragged my knackered old hulk some 200m, straight up on to the Arete. Sleet now turned to snow and then stopped, thank goodness, as I reached the cloud base. Don't recommend you try it. just gets steeper and steeper on lose crumbling wet rock. Don't remember much of the walk across the Arete or up the back of the Ben other than it was a slog and visibility was around 20-30 m. I went the wrong way from the last pole. Followed some cairns to the right for about 40m then thought this is not right, so returned to my original bearing, total white out, straight past the summit. Happily spotted the drop, which I was expecting to be there. then turned left, before I plummeted 1500 ft. The summit was only about 60-70 m away. Take care up there. So after a challenging walk up and a peaceful 30 mins eating my lunch sheltered in the old weather station. I headed off down. Visibility improving by the step. Cloud base had risen and was now only 100m or so below the summit. So I headed over to the right of the path a took a few photos of CMD. First time I had seen it all day. Then it was off down the Zig Zags, a spot of fun rock hopping across the Alt and 11.5 hours after setting out I was back at the car, tired but so much richer for the experience of climbing Britain's highest peak via the CMD Arete. Next time I just hope it's sunny. :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

BuzyG
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland