walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Windproofs Review

Windproofs Review

Postby ptc* » Sun May 29, 2016 6:49 pm

This month's review is live here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/windproof-jackets-review/0014980/

A lot of good kit in this one, no bad choices to be made really. Any questions or additional info, give me a shout.
Attachments
windier.jpg
ptc*

Re: Windproofs Review

Postby tenohfive » Mon May 30, 2016 9:42 am

Enjoyed that, and for me the Patagonia looked like the sort of thing I'd love (if I could ever stretch to Patagonia prices.)

I think this will be the first year I'll incorporate a 'simple' (as opposed to softshell, the VR Lite Alpine in my case) windproof to the stable having picked up an Inov8 windproof for trail/fell running over winter - comparable to the Rab one at 105g. Having pushed myself hard through some miserable weather this winter I've been really impressed by how well a very simple layer of Pertex can protect from some gopping weather and manage sweat - anything less than heavy rain and it was my go to jacket. Through a season of named storms and snow it was brilliant. And it (along with some of the jackets reviewed) is so light and compact as to make it a complete no-brainer when debating whether it's worth taking. I just wish I could have stretched to the Houdini - I'm a big fan of hoods for locking out weather - but at twice the price it wasn't happening.

That being said for me the simple windproof most appeals for those occasions where I know I'm going to be pushing hard and warming myself through exertion - if I'm out with the kids for example and not generating as much heat I prefer the extra protection a softshell offers.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby basscadet » Mon May 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Me too, but the standard Montane featherlite isn't there, and that is the standard against all others should be judged :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby ptc* » Mon May 30, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks for the comments. Windshirts are one of my all time favourite bits of kit, still have my favourite purple Buffalo top, which now I think about, the fabric feels very similar to the grade Alpkit use in the Arro.

Montane? I asked them and they didn't want to play. A shame.
ptc*

Postby tenohfive » Mon May 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Their loss I suppose, group tests guide a lot of people. And there aren't any reviews that I can see of their new Featherlite 7 (48g...I thought 100g felt like nothing!) Although paying an extra £1 per g loss vs. the competition isn't going to appeal for those searching for value for money.
tenohfive

Postby Sgurr » Mon May 30, 2016 5:59 pm

tenohfive wrote: Through a season of named storms and snow it was brilliant. .

This is probably the first use of this weather terminology for a season. Love it! I will be using it next year "I survived a season of named storms," or more likely "It was the season of named storms that really kept me off the hill." Thinking of naming my 4 jackets to cope: Anabelle (thin and wimpy, really only a shell), Maureen (out of date Berghaus, sturdy and capable, but showing wear), Frances (the other Berghaus, but a different colour and newer) and Lara (tough paramo in a such a strange combination of colours that it was sold cheap).
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby BobMcBob » Mon May 30, 2016 7:30 pm

I only recently discovered windproofs - I have a Rab that wasn't covered in your review - and it's now my favourite piece of kit and goes with me almost literally everywhere as it's SO much more comfortable than a waterproof.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby bydand_loon » Mon May 30, 2016 8:23 pm

Been a huge windshirt fan for years, so versatile over a t shirt or an extra layer that weighs next to nothing if stuffed in a pocket/pouch. i tend to wear one most days when in "civies", I've got one that's about 20 years old, don't know what it's made of or what make it is, i was under the impression it was para silk?

Of the reviewed lot i have a couple of the houdini's, both at less than half the rrp from fashion websites rather than outdoors ones (they always do better sales :D and fashionistas tend to have a short "in vogue" lifespan).

Also have a montane something? and rab cirrus windshield, it's tight but I think I prefer the rab, it's a more comfort (fat lad) fit and has waist pockets, where as the patagonia & montane are more fitted and only have a breast pocket that takes a mobile phone at a push. Not a fan of the montane hood and I think I get more static shocks from it
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby teaandpies » Mon May 30, 2016 10:26 pm

There's a red Womans Arc’teryx Squamish Hoody size 12 in Ellis Brigham Glasgow for £50...
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby tenohfive » Mon May 30, 2016 11:15 pm

Sgurr wrote:
tenohfive wrote: Through a season of named storms and snow it was brilliant. .

This is probably the first use of this weather terminology for a season. Love it! I will be using it next year "I survived a season of named storms," or more likely "It was the season of named storms that really kept me off the hill." Thinking of naming my 4 jackets to cope: Anabelle (thin and wimpy, really only a shell), Maureen (out of date Berghaus, sturdy and capable, but showing wear), Frances (the other Berghaus, but a different colour and newer) and Lara (tough paramo in a such a strange combination of colours that it was sold cheap).

I'm one of those people who uses Strava and it was much more satisfying this year posting,

"Out with the headtorch in Storm Imogen,"
rather than,
"Bit blustery out, eh?"

I think the Met Office are onto a good thing with this. Makes it sound much more dramatic than the reality is.

But in fairness my windproof did keep me comfortable in some horrible weather that might otherwise have weakened my resolve when out running through mud at 5am, so credit where it's due.
tenohfive

Postby nathan79 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:15 am

A fine variety of windproofs reviewed there. I've been considering the Alpkit one, but I have no need whatsoever for one, even at £25. Never come across True Mountain before, good to see a new UK company.

I'm the proud owner of 3 windshirts. Most used is a Rab Alpine smock (which you no longer get though you do get a jacket version). I wasn't impressed by it's pertex equilibrium fabric at first, didn't seem durable enough and bobbled quickly but 5 years on aside from a sleeve seam that was coming apart and necessitated a Tenacious Tape repair it's grand.
I've got a bombproof Paramo Fuera windshirt that I picket up for £30 and still looks like new 6 years on.

My latest purchase was the Berghaus vapourlight hyper smock 2.0. Stumbled upon them going for £45 and it was too good to resist a shot at that. It literally does weigh nothing and it's tiny. Does look a bit like a condom when on though! Been tested up the Ochils and in the Alps and performed well.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Another fan of the Rab Cirrus wind top (hoodie version) - made from pertex, two decent pockets and a good hood, only weighs about 100gr, packs down very small - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk