walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

South Glen Shiel Ridge - hardest challenge ever!

South Glen Shiel Ridge - hardest challenge ever!

Postby Brendanw » Tue May 31, 2016 9:34 am

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 28/05/2016

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 26.75 km

Ascent: 2023m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm sure to many that the South Glen Shiel ridge and it's 7 munros is a walk in the park - but to an ageing unfit git like myself, this was without done the physically hardest thing I've ever done in my (nearly, but not quite) 40 years! It was epic on so many levels. They say a picture tells a thousands stories, so here are my pics from the day.

I followed this Walkhighlands route:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/kintail/Glenshielridge.shtml

southglenshiel.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_0062_web_960_c.jpg
The start of the walk, looking up to the ridge. I'd dropped the car at the far end and hitched back to the start - couldn't face having to hitch at the end of the walk!

IMG_0087_web_960_c.jpg
This was a fantastic view - after nearly 2h 20m, reached the first summit, Creag a'Mhaim, and saw the ridge stretched out to the horizon ahead - this was going to be a long day!

IMG_0105_web_960_c.jpg
The ridge out to Druim Shionnach, the second munro of the day

IMG_0122_web_960_c.jpg
Part of the ridge out to Druim Shionnach got quite narrow, adding even more interest to the walk!

IMG_0128_web_960_c.jpg
Munro 2, Druim Shionnach, of the day was reached after just less than an hour's pretty straightforward walking from the first.

IMG_0146_web_960_c.jpg
It was 3km to munro 3, Aonach air Chrith which at 1021 metres is the highest summit on the whole ridge. The guys in front of me were great pacemakers - keeping me on track and making sure I didn't doddle!

IMG_0151_web_960_c.jpg
"Don't try this at home"!

IMG_0172_web_960_c.jpg
And after another hour, peak 3 was conquered, Aonach air Chrith.

IMG_0186_web_960_c.jpg
As you can see from this photo, there's quite a steep and narrow scrambly bit not long after the peak - tricky, but nothing too bad

IMG_0190_web_960_c.jpg
Looking back at that narrow section

IMG_0202_web_960_c.jpg
After about 1h 15m, the 4th peak was reached - Maol Chinn-Dearg. This photo looks back at the impressive ridge traversed so far.

IMG_0207_web_960_c.jpg
Starting to look a bit knackered! But I liked this photo, because one of the guys I met on the ridge, Chris (who volunteers for Cairngorm MR) looks like he's just sitting on my shoulder!

IMG_0232_web_960_c.jpg
The 5th munro spurred out to the right of this photo, but this shows number 6 and then number 7 in the distance - the end was finally in sight!

IMG_0236_web_960_c.jpg
Proving that I can count to 5 at the top of the 5th munro Sgurr an Doire Leathain, reached an hour after the 4th.

IMG_0249_web_960_c.jpg
Probably the finest looking ridge and peak of the day, the shortish stretch out to munro 6, Sgurr an Lochain.

IMG_0256_web_960_c.jpg
Munro 6 of the day - Sgurr an Lochain. This was only 40 mins from the previous peak, but the legs were beginning to struggle by this point!

IMG_0273_web_960_c.jpg
And finally, nearly broken, but happy as can be - NUMBER 7!! The peak of Creag nan Damh. My legs were properly knackered on the way up to this and I'd almost ran out of water - but, oh that feeling at the top!

IMG_0299_web_960_c.jpg
And just when you thought it was all over....not far from the 7th peak was this 10 meter high wall of rock! Who's idea was this?!

IMG_0303_web_960_c.jpg
After running out of water on the final peak, this stream half way down was the most welcome thing ever! And the best tasting water ever!
Attachments
IMG_0319_web_960_c.jpg
And a final look back at the ridge from the road - genuinely one of the best and hardest days of my life. LOVED it.
Brendanw
Hill Bagger

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland