walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rum Cuillin, Askival, Ainshval and Trallval, superb stuff!

Rum Cuillin, Askival, Ainshval and Trallval, superb stuff!

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat May 28, 2016 5:44 pm

Route description: Rum Cuillin traverse

Corbetts included on this walk: Ainshval, Askival

Fionas included on this walk: Trallval

Date walked: 22/05/2016

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 16.3 km

Ascent: 1713m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to be the Argyll Mountaineering Clubs first visit to Rum and we had all been looking forward to it for quite some while. Martin (Jeremiah Johnston) had organised it and although there had been two late call offs there was still nine of us heading over to the Island determined to have a good time. We were staying at the recently completed bunkhouse run by the Rum Community and it turned out to be an excellent base. We were not the sole occupiers of the bunkhouse as we were sharing with another walking group from Nottingham, hi again and thanks for all your help and generosity and general friendliness.

Today we were to be heading for the highlight of the weekend the Rum Cuillin which consists of two Corbetts and a well documented and highly rated Graham Trallval. I had read Mountain Thyme's excellent WH trip report and decided that this would be the way to tackle the walk, Hallival, Askival (Corbett), Trallval, Ainshval return to Bealachan Fhuarain,Bralach an Oir then skirt around Atlantic Corrie and head for the Bealach between Hallival and Barkeval the hill we did the day we arrived on Rum.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1a.JPG
It started off as the Famous Five all loaded with lashings of ginger beer, as we didn't know if there would be any water along the summit ridge. In front of the Bunkhouse hoping for good weather after the two previous days. From the bunkhouse we carried on towards Kinloch Castle and decided against the muddy path marked by a signpost on our left but continued on the road in front of the castle. After passing Castle and old timber Bunkhouse on our left we took the track on our left heading up towards Harris Bay and adjacent to Kinloch River, turning first left onto a path which takes you up the glen
1b.JPG
On a good well laid path at the start makes for quick walking beside the burn, at this point we were up to six as John had joined us
1c.JPG
A spot of bouldering for Ewan en route to the North East slopes towards Cnapan Breaca then up the NW slopes of Hallival
1d1.JPG
The team pose before the climb up Hallival
1e.JPG
The way ahead with the three main hills in shot
1f.JPG
Jerimiah Johnston at a point overlooking Atlantic Corrie with Glen Harris below in the distance.
1g.JPG
Heading South of Hallival, before reaching the steep rocky scrambling section
1h.JPG
At this point the group has become five as we had said our good byes to John who had decided to head back to base another route. Ewan was already off doing his own thing looking for other climbs to do, this would be the last meeting with Ewan until the bunkhouse later on in the day
9.JPG
Heading on up the North shoulder ridge of Askival from Hallival, soon as the ridge narrows there is a by pass path on your left which gets steeper later on and requires some scrambling but nothing too demanding
10.JPG
The group on the summit of Askival
11.JPG
Coming down off Askival, very rocky and quite steep in places, care being needed
13.JPG
Looking over to the North East slopes of Ainshaval from the steep slopes of Trallval
14.JPG
Nearly there, a steep climb to the summit of the Graham with Askival behind
15.JPG
Looking over to the grassy summit before the downclimb
16.JPG
Martin (Jerimiah Johnston)on the way
17.JPG
Jerimiah Johnston arriving at the summit of Trallval after the downclimb. It was here that we decided to have a break and a bite to eat before attempting the downclimb to the second Corbett. After the downclimb we skirted around rather than climb back up, the choice is yours. It was when we were descending to Bealach an Fhurain that I found a large loose boulder which came away in my hand followed by another which crushed my finger, not broken just a bit of a mess and quite painful when it happened, after a quick bit of first aid delivered by Ramsay I was back on my feet, thinking to myself just as well I was leading at the time as there might have been more serious injuries to others. Its quite steep anf some stones are quite loose so care is required and a time for poles to be in the rucksack
18.JPG
At the bealack head slightly West and you will see a path climbing up to some scree slopes. Heading on up the scree slopes on the North East side of Ainshval at the top turn right and find a path going up the ridge no more scrambling required now
19.JPG
The team on the summit of Ainshval. We returned to the bealach the skirted around below the crags NE heading for Bealach an Oir where we met up with some others from the bunkhouse, then headed around the head of Atlantic Corrie
20.JPG
Fancy meeting you three here, our fellow bunkhouse friends who had left behind us and had decided to call it a day after Askivall
21.JPG
The four pose on the Bealach Bairc-mheall with the skies brightening up all the time
22.JPG
On the Bealach Bairc-mheall looking North, with somebody looking kinda tired
3.JPG
Our ferry arriving to pick us up to take us first to Canna then back to Rum then Eigg and Mallaig
1.JPG
It was a pleasure to meet up with fellow walkhighlander Dogplodder on the ferry back to Mallaig
4.JPG
Mallaig harbour in the evening sun after an unforgettable weekend on the beautiful island of Rum. Making many new friends and meeting up with many old ones, a good time was had by all and hope to go back again soon.
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Rum Cuillin, Askival, Ainshval and Trallval, superb stuf

Postby simon-b » Sun May 29, 2016 1:41 am

That looks like a fine traverse, and a little island with a lot to it.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 29, 2016 9:07 am

simon-b wrote:That looks like a fine traverse, and a little island with a lot to it.

Hi Simon-b, right on both counts. Superb wee place highly recommended, and since I passed Eigg on the ferry that looks an interesting place to go as well, could be my next island visit :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby litljortindan » Tue May 31, 2016 5:54 pm

You got a great day for it though I imagine not much fun bashing your finger. Rum was my Easter weekend every year 1994-1997 inclusive but I only got one spell of weather like yours when I walked the whole of the Cuillin one day then out to Bloodstone Hill and co the next. Aside from that there were a couple of trips with only part of the ridge and one other that was just a low level circumnavigation. I think Hamish Brown wrote a good wee book about the island. Anyway, great to see and maybe I'll get back there one day.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby malky_c » Tue May 31, 2016 6:37 pm

Reasonable weather, and looks like a great day out :D . Can't wait to visit - pencilled in for the last weekend of July 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue May 31, 2016 8:32 pm

litljortindan wrote:You got a great day for it though I imagine not much fun bashing your finger. Rum was my Easter weekend every year 1994-1997 inclusive but I only got one spell of weather like yours when I walked the whole of the Cuillin one day then out to Bloodstone Hill and co the next. Aside from that there were a couple of trips with only part of the ridge and one other that was just a low level circumnavigation. I think Hamish Brown wrote a good wee book about the island. Anyway, great to see and maybe I'll get back there one day.

Hi litljortindan, lucky lucky you, I really enjoyed Rum and must go back soon. Superb ridge and I must checkout where Bloodstone Hill is. I see they have pods as well at Kinloch Bay. Never saw any otters although we went twice yo the hide, I did want to have another sighting of an otter, think I'll have to get up earlier. Did not know about Hamish Browns book on Rum. So much to do so little time, after the ferry stopped off at Eigg and passed by the East coast, it made me want to go there as well.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue May 31, 2016 8:34 pm

malky_c wrote:Reasonable weather, and looks like a great day out :D . Can't wait to visit - pencilled in for the last weekend of July 8)

Hope you get good weather it's definately worth a good for all the stunning views. Look forward to your report. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:47 am

That looked fab! We were back on the boat two days later to visit Rum and I managed a quick foray up to the foot of Hallival but didn't want to risk missing ferry and got back with an hour and a half to spare - not so clever. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby dooterbang » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:28 pm

That looked a great trip Rod. Must get to Rum very soon :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:35 pm

dooterbang wrote:That looked a great trip Rod. Must get to Rum very soon :)

Paul you won't regret it, l promise you, excellent stuff. Eigg looks interesting as well.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:28 pm

That looks like fun Rod, up to your usual WR standard :clap: :clap:
Never been to Rum, hopefully can change that this year or certainly next year 8)

PS: Noticed nearly all the hills end in 'val' :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:That looks like fun Rod, up to your usual WR standard :clap: :clap:
Never been to Rum, hopefully can change that this year or certainly next year 8)

PS: Noticed nearly all the hills end in 'val' :lol:

But none start with Bod, lol
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:15 am

malky_c wrote:Reasonable weather, and looks like a great day out :D . Can't wait to visit - pencilled in for the last weekend of July 8)

Hi Malky just noticed your to Compleat your Corbetts on Rum, very fitting, hope the sun shines on you, have a great day, Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby basscadet » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:49 am

Looked brilliant Rod - so jealous. :D We keep on meaning to go there but every time the weather looks so foul we end up doing something else :lol: One day...
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:48 pm

basscadet wrote:Looked brilliant Rod - so jealous. :D We keep on meaning to go there but every time the weather looks so foul we end up doing something else :lol: One day...

You must go so much to see and do basscadet, how's the injury getting on you will be up the wall by now knowing you :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland