walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kingie Corbett and one Mor Munro

Kingie Corbett and one Mor Munro

Postby simon-b » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Loch Quoich)

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Fhuarain

Date walked: 27/05/2016

Time taken: 9.2 hours

Distance: 24.7 km

Ascent: 1669m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2016-05-27 181703.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My last full day of a two week stay near Beauly, and all the Munros left on my 'to do' list were some distance away. Having climbed Liathach the day before, I hadn't set my alarm early enough to go for Lurg Mhor and Sheasgaich. The Arkaig 4 was another big round and even further to drive to. But the recent dry spell meant that the River Kingie should be crossable, so doing one of the 4 with a bonus Corbett was a feasible option. This did mean a long drive (not to mention the inevitable "Mor is more" play on words once again :oops: ).

It was a grey morning as I drove through Drumnadrochit and alongside Loch Ness. Into Lochaber, and things began to brighten up. In front was the head of Ben Nevis, peeping over an inversion. After turning off and driving through Gairlochy, it was time for the entertaining little road alongside Loch Arkaig. The surface is pretty rough in places. I'd heard about the blind summits and tricky bends. These did go on for quite a while, but I'd say the Hard Knott Pass in the Lake District is more demanding. So I managed to reach the car park without putting the car into the loch.

There was a mixture of blue sky and clouds as I set off on the walk.

IMG_1962.JPG
Loch Arkaig

IMG_1967.JPG
River Dessarry

Making the right turn at Glendessarry, I moved over the low bealach and down into Glen Kingie. As I had hoped, there were no problems crossing the river on this day.

IMG_1977.JPG
River Kingie

The weather was becoming more sunny, but the tops were still in cloud as I began to ascend.

IMG_1979.JPG
Sgurrs Beag and Mor are up there somewhere

It was quite a slog up pathless grass to reach the bealach above Coire Buidhe, and I was now feeling the effects of two weeks' hillwalking. But on reaching the bealach, my target Corbett was in the clear. The walking became much more easy along the ridge.

IMG_1988.JPG
Sgurr an Fhuarain

Sgurr an Fhuarain was worth visiting for its views. And I did want to go home having bagged at least just one Corbett during the two weeks!

IMG_1991.JPG
Gairich and Glen Kingie from Sgurr an Fhuarain

IMG_1992.JPG
Loch Quoich from Sgurr an Fhuarain

Then it was time to return to the bealach and take on Sgurr Mor.

IMG_1996.JPG
Doubling back towards Sgurr Mor

The pull up the SE ridge onto Sgurr Mor was quite steep, but not difficult. As I approached the summit, I met another walker who was descending, and was ready for the walk out. On top, I met someone else who was doing the walk the other way round, and he did fancy going on to the Corbett. I stayed around a while and had a chat, taking in the views.

IMG_2003.JPG
Loch Quoich from Sgurr Mor

IMG_2004.JPG
Sgurr na Ciche range and Knoydart hills from Sgurr Mor

Then I moved on towards Sgurr Beag.

IMG_2012.JPG
Approaching Sgurr Beag

From the top of this top, the Sgurr na Ciche group looked particularly impressive. I could see what a great round all 4 (or even 5) of the Munros would have been, with more time and energy.

IMG_2015.JPG
Sgurr na Ciche range from Sgurr Beag

Dropping to the next bealach, I found the track that descended back into Glen Kingie. Despite the dry spell, this was still very boggy in places.

IMG_2024.JPG
Glen Kingie

Next it was back over the river, up again to the low bealach, and down again into Glen Dessarry...

IMG_2030.JPG
Returning to Glen Dessarry, looking over to Streap, Sgurr Thuilm and Sgurr nan Coireachan

...and on back to Loch Arkaig.

IMG_2038.JPG
Arriving back at Loch Arkaig

During the sunny spell out west of the previous few days, the midges had been surprisingly absent. But back at the Arkaig car park, they were coming out to play. So I was quickly back into the car, and having that fun drive alongside the Loch again. Then all that way back up north for the last night in my cottage, before the big journey south again and home the next day. What a two weeks it had been :D !
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland