walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Day 2: Welsh airy paradise - Crib Goch & Snowdon Horseshoe

Day 2: Welsh airy paradise - Crib Goch & Snowdon Horseshoe

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:20 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Crib Goch, Crib y Ddysgl, Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa, Y Lliwedd

Date walked: 30/05/2016

Time taken: 5.26

Distance: 12.35 km

Ascent: 1146m

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

RK_gpx _2016-05-30_1207.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Short family break in North Wales...I booked 3 nights at Caernarfon from saturday to tuesday morning for my family ( my wife, our daughter and myself ) to spend some days with my wife's sister and her boys. They are living in London and we travelled from Scotland so the North Wales looked like a good place to meet as it's @ a half way for both families :D We were in Snowdonia in September 2013, enjoyed all the area and also a wee trip to Snowdon summit - my wife with our daughter Cheyenne ( she was one year old only in 2013 ) by the mountain railway, I used Llanberis path to meet them there. It was my first time on Snowdon...second time I enjoyed the beauty of Snowdon summit views in summer 2014 when we finished our successful National Three Peaks Challenge with my brother ( we used Miners track for a change ). I loved Snowdonia from the 1st time and I wanted come again and discover more and more mountains and also get to the Snowdon summit via the famous Crib Goch ridge and complete all the circle - Snowdon Horseshoe.
The longer weekend finally came and we started our journey. Our daughter Cheyenne had 4th Birthady on the saturday so the plan was to celebrate the birthday - partly in the hotel swimming pool that day. On the sunday they wanted visit the town, castle and some shops...good opportunity for me to prepare some short mountain's trip and then join them in the hotel swimming pool afternoon again :clap:
My hope for the short holiday was to do Tryfan, Glyders and The Snowdon Horseshoe. Tickets for the mountain train available only for monday when I booked during the week before.
I enjoyed all the scrambling on Tryfan and Bristly ridge...really beautiful day 8) We were very lucky with the weather - it was really lottery when booked the holiday long time before :o :D

Day 1: Sunday's Tryfan & Glyders via Bristly ridge trip here:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63269

On monday we used our both cars to get to Lllanberis...they wanted visit the town before the train will get them to the Snowdon summit and I headed to Pen Y-Pass to start my climb via Crib Goch, meet them on the Snowdon summit and then continue the Snowdon Horseshoe via Y-Lliwed back to the car park.
Crib Goch route was really great, especially in such a beautiful sunny day...the beer tasted very well on the Snowdon summit when I was waiting them there :lol: :wink: :lol:

Crib Goch from the road A4086...

...and Zoomed :)

The initial path from Pen-Y-Pass for Pyg track and Crib Goch route.

Leaving the path - Crib Goch route ahead :)

Crib Goch from the bottom...

Rock, rock and rock...scrambling from the bottom. Can you spot the 6 people ? :wink:

You can chose where you want to scramble :lol: :lol: :lol:

The angle of ascent

"Easier" part...and more people ahead

Looking back from the top...Pen-Y-Pass, Pyg track and Miners track nicely visible :D

Thanks to willing walker who made this photo :)

Looking down from the ridge

People ( trying ) mooving on the ridge :o :)

Looking back on the ridge

The ridge offers great views ! Snowdon in the background... 8)

Airy feelings...and some company :lol:

The pinnacles...

...the last pinnacle, thinking which side use to overcome :? ( body size / height is @ 1/5 of this pic ) . Then I decided a little right and straight over the top :roll: :D

The crag...

Y Llivedd opposite, Pyg track & Miners track in the bottom

Descending the last pinnacle

Looking back

...and looking back towards Crib Goch again

Snowdon

Y Lliwedd and the ridge opposite, my planned way from Snowdon

ascending Crib y Ddysgl and looking back to Crib Goch 8)

Some scramble necessary again :D

...and more scramble...

Snowdon closer...a little bit :lol:

Crib y Ddysgl ridge, some scramble, but much easier than Crib Goch

Y Lliwedd from the higher level of Crib y Ddysgl

Snowdon again...

Another part of scrambling

Towards Llanberis, the mountain railway and the Llanberis path

The crowds moving to ( and from ) Snowdon...Pyg track, Miners track and the Llanberis path was most busy that day :D

Looking accros the valley - the ridge opposite...Pyg track in the bottom

Busy Snowdon summit :D :shock: :lol:

Views from the summit of Snowdon ( the ridge I came... ) :D 8) :D

...and the route I will go: Y Lliwedd looks great

Mountain train from Llanberis

no comment :D

the train arrived and the summit is tooooo busy now ! :lol: :lol: :lol: family meeting and photo together :D

The station from the summit

Time to continue the Snowdon Horseshoe...using Watkin path on the beginning

People struggling up ( and me struggling down ) :lol: very steepy and slippery on the dusty - sandy ground :crazy:

the flat easy walk under Snowdon...

Y Lliwedd ahead and looks really great ! 8) :D

Let's scrambling again :D

Looking back to Snowdon

Nice rocky shape...can you spot the two people ? :wink:

Y Lliwedd ahead

...higher and higher ! Crib Goch opposite 8) :D

The 2nd top of Y Lliwedd ahead and 3 walkers there :)

Llyn Llydaw and Crib Goch

Snowdon, Crib y Ddysgl and Crib Goch

Y Lliwed and Snowdon over Llyn Llydaw

...looking back to the Snowdon Horseshoe - shape in the sunshine... 8) :D

It was a great short break in Snowdonia !!! Great time together, some fun with the kids and the weather was just perfect 8) 8) 8)
7 Hewits done, another Snowdon routes completed and looking forward to come back there again in the future...Still a lot of routes to Snowdon to try and also mountains like Cadair Idris, Moel Siabod and many more to do :D :wink:
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: Day 2: Welsh airy paradise - Crib Goch & Snowdon Horsesh

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:37 pm

Lovely shots again Petr but I confess I had to click out of the report initially thinking I had already seen this one, then click the other only to realise it was the same intro...I feel like a nugget :oops: ........... :lol: :lol:

Another great bunch of photos from another beautiful day in Wales, a very busy summit (though that's to be expected I guess) :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:42 pm

ChrisW wrote:Lovely shots again Petr but I confess I had to click out of the report initially thinking I had already seen this one, then click the other only to realise it was the same intro...I feel like a nugget :oops: ........... :lol: :lol:

Another great bunch of photos from another beautiful day in Wales, a very busy summit (though that's to be expected I guess) :clap:

Thanks Chris :D and sorry for the confusion, :? :lol: I just decided to keep ( unusually ) the same intro for both days as it was about the all Snowdonia trip :) The summit was really busy - bank Holiday monday, great weather and the time peak :roll: :lol: :D

P.S. Have added all photo descriptions now :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby jamesb63 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:15 pm

Looks absolutely fantastic Petr and the weather gods were with you :D
and so nice to see the family enjoying the occasion :clap: :clap:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby jacob » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Very fond memories of Snowdonia, so very interested to read your report and see your pictures. :clap:
I feel free enough to post one of my own photos in addition to the one you made of the pinnacle, describing body height for reference. This is the same pinnacle I think:

SAM_1123 wh.jpg
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby ancancha » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:45 pm

Nice one Petr :clap:
Looks a tad busy at the top :shock:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:21 pm

Thank you all for the kind comments...appreciate :D
Also thanks jacob for the photo to see the bodies on the pinnacle :thumbup:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland