walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fun in the Sun! (Haystacks, Black Star & Fleetwith Pike)

Fun in the Sun! (Haystacks, Black Star & Fleetwith Pike)

Postby thefallwalker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:54 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Fleetwith Pike, Haystacks

Hewitts included on this walk: Fleetwith Pike

Date walked: 31/05/2016

Time taken: 3.23

Distance: 9.67 km

Ascent: 804m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having done this walk late last year, i was keen to take Eva (my daughter) on the same walk as in my opinion gives some of the best views in the Lake District, and after her Herculean efforts last time out on the Coniston Fells :clap: , i also reckons she could do with a "breather!" :D
So the walk was arranged with Trailmasher, and as it was set fair, Tuesday was decided on as possibly the best bet.
A more civilised departure from Middlesbrough was agreed as this isn't a long walk so we left at 07:30 to arrive at T.M's for 9ish. After the hello's, comfort break & the obligatory coffee we were off, up over the Honister pass to to arrive at Gatescarth farm parking lot for 10:20, just as well we didn't arrive any later as the car park had only a couple of spaces left!
P1010055_1024x768.jpg
car park almost full!

boots on, quick sarnie! and we're walking by 10:30 :D
crossing over the road & through a couple of gates heading South to the "triangle of trees before turning left
P1010058_1024x768.jpg
off we go!

and heading Eastwards on the easy to follow path towards the steady beautiful ascent towards Scarth Gap.
P1010062_1024x768.jpg
the view

The weather was glorious albeit with a coldish wind coming from the North West, but within 15 minutes of walking it was time to lose a "skin",
P1010067_1024x768.jpg
getting warm

as we made our way up the path stopping every so often just to admire the views which where getting better with every metre of height gain!
Not too long later we reached Scarth Gap,
P1010069_1024x768.jpg
reaching Scarth Gap

where the decision was made to take a breakfast & coffee break before ascending Haystacks. Tralmasher enjoyed having his coffee back with him after forgetting it last time we were out on the Pennines Saturday gone :roll:
It was whilst we having a break we spied a couple making there way up then down from Haystacks, we weren't too sure what was going on but presumed that the lass had a change of heart whilst ascending over the "rock slab"? break over we started moving towards the ascent of the summit and noticed that the couple were on there way back up (again!) so we stayed a distance behind not wanting to become embroiled in a :domestic"! :crazy: we were making good progresss & Eva thought nothing of the famous exposed rock slab Wainwright had warned people of!
P1010078_1024x768.jpg
the rock slab

Not too long later we reached the twin summits of Haystacks and WOW what a view!
P1010086_1024x768.jpg

surely one of the best in England?
P1010088_1024x768.jpg
P1010089_1024x768.jpg
P1010087_1024x768.jpg

We also bumped into the couple we saw earlier & after TM had asked if all was ok ( she said the wind caught her out) but had been up here many times before, we moved off to look around and Eva loved the fact she was surrounded by some of the "big uns" and the beautiful valleys below, a quick look about and we're heading down off the back towards Innominate tarn.
P1010091_1024x768.jpg
heading to Innominate tarn

at the tarn
P1010094_1024x768.jpg
Innomonite tarn

We are now heading Northwards towards the Bothy at the foot of Fleetwith Pike & our next stop of the day.
We reached it in good time and took a more leisurely lunch has we had made good time and just enjoying the sun especially when we are out of the cool wind 8) After signing the guest book inside the bothy we are ready to move on and head Eastwards to take in the Birkett of Black Star, which is a cracking name for a hill! :clap: and a nice easy climb to the top
P1010102_1024x768.jpg
Black Star summit

P1010101_1024x768.jpg
looking down on Honister pass

After a short stop off we advanced onto Fleetwith Pike which is only a short hop away
P1010107_1024x768.jpg
Fleetwith Pike summit

where we take a last little breather before making the brave choice of walking straight off the Western edge,
This way off is pretty steep but the views it gives down the Buttermere valley are outstanding and well worth the effort although is probably not for for the faint hearted! :wink: Eva managed with no problems at all but being 14 yrs old she has the advantage of being more supple than her old man who has dodgy knees! :(
P1010110_1024x768.jpg
looking back at our descent

P1010111_1024x768.jpg
looking back to the summit

Not too long after leaving the summit we are down for a quick look at Fanny Mercers cross
P1010112_1024x768.jpg
at the cross

Its then just a short easy stroll back to where we started at the car park.
This has been a great walk with magnificent panoramic views & great company with a touch of comedy on the way round (the couple on Haytacks!) and is definitely in my short time walking the fells a firm favourite of mine that i will definetly do again in the future :)
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Fun in the Sun! (Haystacks, Black Star & Fleetwith Pike)

Postby trailmasher » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:30 pm

A good report and a great day out TFW :clap: As you mention, great views from great fells :) and I did notice that Eva was taking the lead over you "old man" :lol: :lol:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179

Postby thefallwalker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:34 pm

trailmasher wrote:A good report and a great day out TFW :clap: As you mention, great views from great fells :) and I did notice that Eva was taking the lead over you "old man" :lol: :lol:

Cheers TM I've not been able to attach the track log :crazy: but I'm still trying, but thanks for your comments and yes I'm over the moon Eva is leading on :lol:
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:00 am

Good stuff as always TF, I'm surprised Eva went along with you after what you put her through last time out :shock: kudos to her for not only going along but leading along too. I've hung back to avoid a domestic on the hills myself...I still think it was one of my best decisions in the mountains :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby thefallwalker » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:38 am

ChrisW wrote:Good stuff as always TF, I'm surprised Eva went along with you after what you put her through last time out :shock: kudos to her for not only going along but leading along too. I've hung back to avoid a domestic on the hills myself...I still think it was one of my best decisions in the mountains :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your comments Chris! There always welcome :D Eva is certainly getting her hill legs now mate and I'm starting to feel like it won't be long before I'm holding her back :lol: as for the domestic, yes a wise decision to give them plenty of room :lol:
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland