walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slight detour on Beinn Mholach

Slight detour on Beinn Mholach

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mholach

Date walked: 09/05/2016

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 22.2 km

Ascent: 694m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I visited Dalnaspidal last spring and climbed the two nearby Corbetts in rather dull conditions. Now I was back to do Beinn Mholach. There is a thriving wetland community here - a couple of dozen Greylag geese flew off as I went through the "field" gate and oystercatchers and lapwings kept buzzing around.
317.jpg
Dalnaspidal from the slopes of Meall nan Leitreach
All down the side of loch Garry are thriving enclosures of trees - both pines and broadleaves. It just goes to show what can be achieved even at this height if you can cut out the grazing.
2945.jpg

2948.jpg

2951.jpg
looking back
Beyond the loch the track heads into a large flat area where it is hard to follow among the inumerable vehicle tracks. There was a lot of noise, and a hoard of yellow monsters soon appeared tearing up the land. I seem to find them everywhere :(
2954.jpg
unfortunately this shapely little hill is not the Graham Creag a Mhadaidh - which is a dull lump on its L
Not having read the excellent WH account which is of great help here, I went went too far R , missed the bridge over the Allt Shallainn and followed a large track heading W beside it. It went through a deer fenced enclosure with a lot of very healthy looking new trees :) Eventually It came out the far side and I managed to cross the river dryshod just beyond

2957.jpg
Healthy scots pine - there were broad leaves as well
2963.jpg
Looking W up the river - I crossed just here
I headed diagonally L up the heathery hillside, - good views NW to Stob Aonach Mhoir, soon reached the flat ground around Creag nan Gabhar and followed the faint path to Beinn Mholach - the massive cairn being visible from afar. The views particularly S and W ere very hazy
2966.jpg
Stob Aonoch Mhoir
2972.jpg
Heading towards the top
2974.jpg
Now that's what you call a cairn :)
2978.jpg
Schiehallion and Loch Rannoch
2978a.jpg
NE to the Drumochter hills
I retraced my steps taking a direct line from Creag Gabhar towards the bridge. and walked back to the car.
2978b.jpg
Loch Errochty - for one awful moment I thought that was the loch I was walking back to :lol:
2978c.jpg
Loch Garry appears
2978d.jpg
Yellow monstesr at work - permission has been given to abstract water from the Allt Shallain :(
2978e.jpg
The river from the bridge - I wonder how much longer it will stay like this
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Slight detour on Beinn Mholach

Postby Bothybob » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Was surprised also to see the construction traffic and spoke to the man in charge who informed me that they are building a mini hydro scheme using the water from the two rivers and burying the cable down to Annat on Loch Rannoch side, I think we have had the best of the area
Bothybob

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:37 pm

Yes, that's a cairn with very few equals. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:27 pm

Bothybob wrote:Was surprised also to see the construction traffic and spoke to the man in charge who informed me that they are building a mini hydro scheme using the water from the two rivers and burying the cable down to Annat on Loch Rannoch side, I think we have had the best of the area

Yes I seem to see the yellow monsters everywhere - even the Iconic "Road to the Isles" track from near Rannoch station had been ruined when I did Beinn Pharlagain, though enquries to Perth and Kinnross council showed that the contractors were obliged to return it eventually to its original state - thank god
Last edited by past my sell by date on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby Bothybob » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:15 pm

You only have to go to Corrour to see the upheaval on that estate as they are installing at least 3 mini hydros
I suppose those are better visually than wind turbines
Bothybob

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Good timing, I'm hoping to do this hill this month so good to see a recent report on it.

Looked like a great day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:21 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Good timing, I'm hoping to do this hill this month so good to see a recent report on it.

Looked like a great day.

Yes - but it is quite a long walk even if you avoid any detours :lol: The key is to stay on the flat ground beyond the loch and not be tempted to follow tracks up to the R
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:49 am

That cairn... I propped myself against it and tore my trousers all the way across my bum :lol: :lol:

Luckily, it was in winter time so I had leggins underneath. And we were alone on this route that day, so nobody saw my humiliation...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Great set of photos - nice hill to get a good feeling of remoteness. Certainly a long walk in - being a bit lazy, think I'd have taken a bike if not doing a circuit. Walked the first hour or so down the loch in the dark and can well remember hearing all the birds even at that time - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks all :)
Yes it is a magnificent cairn - despite its agressive trouser ripping behaviour :lol: :lol: It must have taken a considerable effort to build - I wonder why it was done
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland