walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

May Magic on Beinn Dearg

May Magic on Beinn Dearg

Postby dav2930 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:09 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg - the Four Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean

Date walked: 23/05/2016

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1590m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Second day of my Ullapool trip and as I drove to Inverlael the sky was overcast and the cloud-base down to about 700 metres. I'd been looking forward to this walk into an intriguing group of wild hills, so I was somewhat disappointed that the weather seemed to be ignoring the good forecast :(

However, it was early in the day and I began the long walk up Gleann na Sguaib with the hopeful feeling that things would improve.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From the car park a gate opens onto a vehicle track. At the waterworks a sign confirms that you're on track for Beinn Dearg. Another sign points the way at a bifurcation just before the bridge, then another where the path for Seana Braigh branches off. Eventually a small hydroelectric dam appears through the trees and you come to a gate which marks the end of the forestry plantations and the beginning of open country. A bike would be useful up to this point.

P1010597.JPG
Out of the woods - the path heading up Gleann na Sguaib

The low cloud persisted for some time, but I was heartened by the call of the cuckoo from the birches on the craggy hillside on the right. It's a looong way up the valley, and eventually the top of a mighty crag peeped out of the mist to herald the breaking up of the cloudy ceiling. :D

Gradually, only wreaths of white mist were left trailing across the glistening cliffs, and the full grandeur of Beinn Dearg was revealed. I was spellbound. :o

P1010603.JPG
Mist clearing from the cliffs of Beinn Dearg

It promised to be an enchanting day of mountain magic.

P1010611.JPG
Lochan Lathail below the bealach

This was no time to be rushing about; it was a time to stand and stare, frequently; to savour the late spring light on rock and turf and water; to breathe in deeply the pure mountain air. I was in no hurry. I wouldn't be breaking any records. This was the tenor of the day.

P1010614.JPG
Lochan Lathail reflecting Beinn Dearg's cliffs

P1010615.JPG
The mighty cliffs of Beinn Dearg

P1010617.JPG
Nearly at the bealach, looking back down Coire Mathair Lathail

P1010619.JPG
At the Bealach an Lochain Uaine looking to Meall nan Ceapraichean

Reaching the bealach on this walk is a significant moment, being the focal point. It's a place of great atmosphere and interest with its scattering of outcrops and lochans.

P1010618.JPG
Shortcut across a snowfield to join the wall leading up Beinn Dearg

P1010620.JPG
Ptarmigan at the bealach, south ridge of Cona' Mheall behind

P1010623.JPG
Cona' Mheall

P1010624.JPG
Seana Braigh from the summit of Beinn Dearg

P1010625.JPG
The Fannaichs

I spent a long time on the summit of Beinn Dearg. It was a wonderful place to be. :D

P1010627.JPG
Summit cairn, Beinn Dearg

P1010631.JPG
Coigach hills on horizon, Meall nan Ceapraichean on right

P1010635.JPG
Coire Ghranda

P1010637.JPG
Beinn Dearg from the slopes of Cona' Mheall

P1010640.JPG
View east from Cona' Mheall, featuring Gleann Beag

P1010643.JPG
Meall nan Ceapraichean from Cona' Meall

P1010644.JPG
South ridge of Cona' Mheall

The first human I met was a runner. She was on her way up Cona' Mheall as I was coming down it. A brief 'hello' dissolved in the breeze.

She overtook me just before the summit of Meall nan Ceapraichean, where she stopped for a brief drink and then off again. I had no intention of trying to keep up. :lol:

P1010656.JPG
Eididh nan Clach Geala from the descent off Ceann Garbh

The descent of the Ceann Garbh slope of Meall nan Ceapraichean has only a sketchy path and could be tricky to navigate in poor visibility.

P1010658.JPG
The Coigach peaks, Stac Pollaidh centre, from Eididh nan Clach Geala

I spent a long time on the summit of Eididh nan Clach Geala. It was a wonderful place to be. :D

P1010659.JPG
Zoom shot of Cul Mor and Suilven

P1010663.JPG
An Teallach

P1010672.JPG
Looking back up Gleann na Sguaib to Meall nan Ceapraichean and Beinn Dearg

This marvellous walk had brought back to me something of the wonder and excitement I had felt when I first discovered the hills. It had cast a powerful spell. If I'd done nothing more this trip, I'd have been well satisfied.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: May Magic on Beinn Dearg

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:52 pm

Looks like you had a cracking day. There are some really nice atmospheric images here, that do whet the appetite. I don't much like long approaches, but I imagine the views on this one make it more than tolerable!

I recall looking at the weather reports on this date and hoping desperately that it would hold out another week for our Skye trip (which it did, of course!).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: May Magic on Beinn Dearg

Postby dav2930 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks Alteknacker.
I'm not overly keen on long approaches either; but this one is all part of the experience as the scenery gets more and more impressive as you progress.

The weather has been pretty amazing for the last few weeks hasn't it? - Glad it held out for your Skye trip. I'll be back up to the Loch Carron area in mid June so I'm hoping it holds out for that too!
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland