walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr nan Gillean on Skye.

Sgurr nan Gillean on Skye.

Postby davgil » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:47 am

Route description: Sgùrr nan Gillean

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 28/05/2016

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A short video of my walk on Sgurr nan Gillean on Skye:

davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Re: Sgurr nan Gillean on Skye.

Postby jacob » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:44 pm

Well, from 6:10 you do get the views for your effort, don't you? Great video. I've only seen Sgur nan Gillean, let alone climb it. Looked scary enough, as you're willing to admit it is. :clap:
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Lovely video - SnG is one of the best on the ridge.

We were just starting on the b***aching ascent of Gars-bheinn as you were setting off. Wasn't it just a brilliant day though, early mist notwithstanding? I was quite surprised how relatively few people there were on the ridge. For example, no queue at the TD gap! But midgies aplenty, even on the summits :-(.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby prog99 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:43 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Lovely video - SnG is one of the best on the ridge.

We were just starting on the b***aching ascent of Gars-bheinn as you were setting off. Wasn't it just a brilliant day though, early mist notwithstanding? I was quite surprised how relatively few people there were on the ridge. For example, no queue at the TD gap! But midgies aplenty, even on the summits :-(.

We had to queue behind some bumblies on the td gap on the 28th and then some expert bumblies on the inn pinn.
Might have bumped into each other then outside of the two choke points.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Colley » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:07 pm

David, really enjoyed the video. Borough back good memories. Steaming Boots has competition!
Colley
Rambler

Munros:34   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:102
Wainwrights:123   

Postby davgil » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:06 am

jacob wrote:Well, from 6:10 you do get the views for your effort, don't you? Great video. I've only seen Sgur nan Gillean, let alone climb it. Looked scary enough, as you're willing to admit it is. :clap:

Thanks jacob, it's all relative I suppose as due to coming up the wrong way my descent seemed like quite a relief!
davgil
Mountain Walker

Postby davgil » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:12 am

Alteknacker wrote:Lovely video - SnG is one of the best on the ridge.

Thanks Alteknacker, it was a brilliant day, I was alone on the summit for well over an hour from about 9.30am but a few hours later was it starting to get quite busy as I made my way down. Fortunately there were no midges on SnG summit at that time and not a breath of wind either.
davgil
Mountain Walker

Postby davgil » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:14 am

Colley wrote:David, really enjoyed the video. Borough back good memories. Steaming Boots has competition!

Thanks Colley, haha, not till I get drone he doesn't :)
davgil
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland