walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr nan Gillean-scree swerving suggestions?

Sgurr nan Gillean-scree swerving suggestions?

Postby ridgerunner » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Gillean

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 04/06/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

sngillean track.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Easy path to follow into second hanging valley but in retrospect i went too far up the central scree rather than heading much further to the left as in Basscadet report 31.5.2015.
P1000930b.JPG
possible routes

My ascent is in black while i think the red line is probably the way i should have gone to avoid most of the scree. Or should it have been the green or even the pink?
The WH walk description does not give much detail here.
P1000933.JPG
scree split.

As Wh says dont follow the scree as it veers right , i kept straight ahead here up a gully.
Once out the lower part of the corrie there is still boulder/scree to cross before reaching the ridge proper. There seems lots of paths here and everyone seemed to go different ways.
The ridge itself is quite wide so again lots of options and easy scrambling to the top if wanted.
P1000934.JPG
looking SE to Sgurr na h-Uamha

P1000936.JPG
looking up the ridge

P1000938.JPG
basalt dyke/gully

Views from the top.
P1000939.JPG
looking NE to loch Harport. West ridge showing nice rock window lower centre

P1000940.JPG
Am Basteir

Am Basteir right of centre, Bruach na Frithe is the highest centre, and Sgurr a Fionn Choire is the dark warty top "below that".
Dead calm at the top and very warm so spent a good hour up here enjoying the company and hazy views.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Re: Sgurr nan Gillean-scree swerving suggestions?

Postby gman » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Might have bumped into you on the top on Saturday, scree is part of the Cuillin experience :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby basscadet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:42 am

Was a brilliant weekend to be up there. I probably could of waved at you from Mhadaidh :D

I think I took roughly the red route, you can see the ledge going up a little steeper than the red line :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby ridgerunner » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks for that info basscadet.
Puts me in the mood to have another go as from your report it sounds like my style of scrambling.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Postby prog99 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:33 am

If you are comfortable abseiling then pinnacle ridge is a superb direct way to the summit and no scree!
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland