walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blencathra? where's that then!!

Blencathra? where's that then!!

Postby thefallwalker » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blencathra, Mungrisdale Common

Hewitts included on this walk: Blencathra

Date walked: 05/06/2016

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 13.14 km

Ascent: 682m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, it was Saturday the forecast was brilliant 8) the time was 06:45 and me and my son (Conor) where hotfooting it over to meet Trailmasher for the usuals before descending upon Mouthwaite combe before the small car park was full. We duly arrived just before 9 where there where 3 cars already parked up but still a couple of spaces left, result :D
P1010114_1024x768.jpg
car park

The promised sunshine was yet to show itself, as the skies where overcast & Blencathra was shrouded in cloud not wanting to reveal herself for the moment :roll: but it was still very warm and as we booted up i kind of hoped it would stay like this at least until we get to the top of Mouthwaite Combe :lol:
So we set off West for about 20 metres, following the fingerpost and up through the gate onto the start of the Combe :)
P1010115_1024x768.jpg
finger post

It was a nice steady ascent albeit it a bit hot n sticky up a really good path
P1010116_1024x768.jpg
the path

Conor was now forging ahead but having the sense to stay within sight :clap: & dutifully waited at the top for the 2 Old yins :lol: a must for all walkers to keep each other in sight i reckon?
In no time at all we were stood at the top of the Combe looking back towards the car park that was now well below us :shock:
P1010117_1024x768.jpg
top of Mouthwaite Combe

The weather still wasn't showing signs of brightening up :( & Blencathra was even more hidden from us :(
but we proceeded on the path going North Westwards underneath the Blencathra range. We pass a gentleman coming our way, & say to him that he must of been out sharpish to be heading down already! (10:30) he tells us that he was having a look at Sharp Edge, but after careful consideration doesn't fancy it so is going round to take a more orthadox way up, in my opinion it's takes as much courage to say "no" as it does to do these things, so fair play to you & hope you get to do it someday :) We also pass a party of 6 going along the same route (plenty of people out today) they must of seen the same forecast as me! :lol: we keep our heading along the Blackhazel beck path taking care to keep on the right track as there is a couple of deviations along the way! one of which i photographed from above, If you"re destination is Mungrisdale Common take the "upper" path as the lower 1 runs out & will leave you with a tiresome plod up the fell side to get back on the correct path :roll:
P1010123_1024x768.jpg
the 2 paths

Not long after we reach the top of this pass & take our 1st stop of the day. Coffee (TM remembered again) :lol: sandwiches & a pork pie from Petch's in Gt Ayton, if you ever get the chance treat yourselves you won't be dissapointed! :D , break over (it's a little bit cold when we stop due to a niggling breeze) We continue on our way still heading more or less North West until we come across a small cairn which marks another intersection, take the left path which opens up into a wide grass track (quad bikes?) and leads you directly to the the summit, :) or take the lower 1 for a more arduous ascent to the top :roll: It was while we where approaching our 1st top of the day that we where passed by a lady (on her own) belting her way up to the top hello's where said and off she zoomed ahead of us :lol: As we now came within sight of the small cairn of Mungrisdale we once again passed the lady where we had a good old natter for 15-20 mins, I asked if she had done a bit of fell running in her time she answered no but was a very expierenced walker who was now on her 2nd round of the Wainwrights and had done 108 up yo now :clap: but taking different routes. fair play i said and after wishing each other good luck on she went into the "murk" towards Bowscale fell. It was as we got to the cairn we noticed another good looking track leading up to Atkinson Pike, another quad bike track we reckon, but wasn't shown on our map, bonus :lol: On reaching the "top" i notice paths going off on all directions and to be honest is the only things of note on this hill, however on a better viewing day things maybe different? I have been told though that there is not :lol:
P1010129_1024x768.jpg
Mungrisdale common cairn

P1010130_1024x768.jpg
the path to Atkinson Pike

The promised sunshine still shows no signs of coming out & as the mist started rolling in another layer was added and mutterings of how's this for luck come from my lips! :( A steady ascent starts up the path all the while getting closer to the mist.
A quick peek down onto Derwentwater came into view so this picture was taken :)
P1010131_1024x768.jpg
Derwentwater?!

We are now well & truly in the mist and views either up or down are virtually non existent :roll: but we trudge on, the path now has become a more traditional stony path, as it meanders its way up to Atkinson Pike, we come accross another couple making their way down, who tell us that it's a "pea souper" up there, arrgghh :roll:
We are now approaching Atkinson Pike in the mist!
P1010134_1024x768.jpg
still in the mist!

and stop to spare a thought for the man who carried stones all the way up here in memory of his friend :clap:
P1010135_1024x768.jpg
The memorial cross

Passing by another smaller stone cross which sadly is almost gone we arrive at our destination Blencathra!
P1010138_1024x768.jpg
The trig point

We take our main stop of the day just off the summit in a lee, more coffee!, pie's, n sarnies :D whilst we are sat we see a party of 6 approaching from the West side, we will meet them a little later :wink: a few photo's are taken when the mist allows!
P1010140_1024x768.jpg
from the summit

P1010142_1024x768.jpg
Conor on the edge!

P1010143_1024x768.jpg
through the mist

P1010144_1024x768.jpg
a slight view of below!

Anyway, break over we make our way over to the Eastern side to make good our descent, we passed the afore mentioned party on our way but after dropping about 200 ft they asked for assistance with where they were & how to get to Bowscale Fell, after TM showed them the error of their ways in TM's own unique style :lol: they were told to go back to the summit and try again! It was at this point that i nipped down the fell side a little to grab this shot of Scales Tarn
P1010145_1024x768.jpg
Scales Tarn

Just a few yards further on & Sharp Edge finally came into view and as there were people slowly but surely making the way up i tried my best to get them in a shot, i'm not sure if you can make them out?
P1010148_1024x768.jpg
Sharp Edge

It is about now that the mist starts to clear & the sun is trying to come out 8) typical :roll: and it starts getting that familiar warm & sticky feeling as we approach then descend into Mouthwaite combe once again, before getting back to the car a mere 20 mins later.
This has been a great day out, but... it ain't over yet :D
TM being a proper mate decides to treat me to a spot of scaffolding back at his house :shock: just what i need :lol: however to lessen the blow the lovely E has prepared pizza & salad with a nice beer to wash it down! cheers E x :clap:
A great end to a brilliant day despite the mist & Conor apart from his feet being sore has enjoyed himself aswell result! :D
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Blencathra? where's that then!!

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:06 am

Always good when it's a 'Dad n his lad' hike TFW (these are my favourite hikes but tend to be a bit too fast paced with my long legged galoot of a son :lol: ) It's a shame the views didn't open out for you but that just means you'll have to take the boy up there again :roll: Not sure I'd have the enthusiasm for work after that, though but it seems you were fairly rewarded :wink: :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby thefallwalker » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:18 am

ChrisW wrote:Always good when it's a 'Dad n his lad' hike TFW (these are my favourite hikes but tend to be a bit too fast paced with my long legged galoot of a son :lol: ) It's a shame the views didn't open out for you but that just means you'll have to take the boy up there again :roll: Not sure I'd have the enthusiasm for work after that, though but it seems you were fairly rewarded :wink: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for your comments Chris :D this was Conor's 2nd trip out with us as he has spent the last 2 years at Leeds Uni, hopefully he'll find more time to come out in the future now :) TM has shown me a few different ways up there so no doubt I'll be having a few trips up there so should get decent views at some point :lol:
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Postby trailmasher » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:52 pm

Good report TFW :clap: also good pics showing the weather of the day and a hint of what could have been seen had the mist cleared :clap: Conor will have to learn not to show up his elders or fet locking may have to be administered :lol: :lol:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179

Postby thefallwalker » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:55 pm

trailmasher wrote:Good report TFW :clap: also good pics showing the weather of the day and a hint of what could have been seen had the mist cleared :clap: Conor will have to learn not to show up his elders or fet locking may have to be administered :lol: :lol:

Cheers TM,
I've already warned him :lol: however I think the sore feet are his best lesson :shock:
see ya for the 5 dayer :D
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland