walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob a'Choin from Inverlochlarig

Stob a'Choin from Inverlochlarig

Postby U059361 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:26 pm

Route description: Stob a' Choin, from Inverlochlarig

Corbetts included on this walk: Stob a' Choin

Date walked: 23/05/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 790m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did this walk in the reverse direction to that described in WH. It is easier going up the less steep slope to the ridge and from there over to Stob a'Choin than the reverse.
I would also recommend going back down not the first gully from the top but the second one lower down as you miss the gorge and all the crags and the burn and the gate beyond it can be seen from the point you turn down. It makes navigation so much easier never mind the walking as it is a grassy banking all the way down. The burn cuts through the one crag to be negotiated. There were two walkers ahead of me and they went down the first gully. I saw them among the huge boulders above the crags and I never saw them again. They couldn't have passed me as I had a clear view back to the bridge.
ImageStob a'Choin from Inverlochlarig by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob a'Choin from bridge over River Larig by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
There is no path to speak of and the going was fairly good going up, missing most of the wet patches aiming for the bealach at the top of the ridge.
ImageWalk up to bealach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageClimb out of gully to ridge by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
There is a cliff at the top of the gorge before the bealach top. I crossed the burn before it and walked up beside it on boulders and grass that looks like a path, quite steep but quickly done. I then turned up towards the top of Meall Rheamar and the ridge.
ImageView from ridge over Stob a'Choin by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Lomond by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
It is a bit up and down following the fence, with a steep drop before Stob a'Choin.
ImageFinal drop before Stob a'Choin by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
One last climb up and top is gained. Good views here but better on the north peak right enough.
ImageLooking over Meall Reamhar by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageTop lochan and Ben Lomond by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
I had my lunch looking across the glen to the munros on the other side. Fantastic views.
ImageView west from top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLoch Voil by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLunch view the munros by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLooking for a way down by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The drop down was fast and I had to slow down as my legs were feeling it.
ImageBottom of gully Stob a'Choin by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Walking along the slope after crossing the burn and going through the gate, it is easier to avoid any wet patches. I think my fast walk time was due to me doing this way round.
I'd recommend it to anyone.
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland