walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

6 out of 8 - Ffestiniog Hills

6 out of 8 - Ffestiniog Hills

Postby andy63 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:39 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Allt Fawr, Cnicht, Moel Druman, Moel-yr-hydd, Ysgafell Wen, Ysgafell Wen North Top

Date walked: 05/05/2016

Time taken: 7.2

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1080m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There are eight Hewitts to the west of Blaenau Ffestiniog, all quite close together. I decided to see if I could do them all in one day. I didn't quite make it but I did manage to bag six of them.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I started off from Tanygrisiau, with the first objective being Allt Fawr. There wasn't a path shown on the map, so I headed up the track past the quarry and then went straight up the grassy slope on the right. This was a steep slog but I was soon on the broad ridge leading up to the summit.

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG
Allt Fawr ascent

IMG_0303.JPG
Allt Fawr summit

I then followed the ridge around to the next three Hewitts, plus the Nuttall summit of Ysgafell Wen Far North Top. The GPS app on my phone was useful here, as without it it would have been hard to tell which of the various piles of rocks were the summits.

IMG_0304.JPG
Moel Druman

IMG_0306.JPG
Cnicht and Moelwyn Mawr from Moel Druman

IMG_0308.JPG
Ysgafell Wen summit

IMG_0309.JPG
Ysgafell Wen North Top

IMG_0310.JPG
Snowdon

IMG_0311.JPG
Moel Siabod

IMG_0312.JPG
Ysgafell Wen Far North Top

Next I headed towards Cnicht. This was a couple of miles away across the plateau, along a slightly wet path.

IMG_0313.JPG
Approaching Cnicht

IMG_0314.JPG
Cnicht North Top

IMG_0315.JPG
Cnicht summit

I then went back across the plateau towards Moel-yr-hydd. This turned out to be harder work than I'd been expecting. The path shown on the OS map quickly seemed to disappear into a bog, leaving an awkward traverse over a series of steep little ridges with bogs and lakes in between.
Eventually I got to the abandoned buildings at Rhosydd quarry, where I stopped for something to eat. I then managed to waste some time and energy going the wrong way up, before finding what should have been the obvious route up the quarry incline.

IMG_0317.JPG
Moel-yr-hydd

IMG_0318.JPG
Rhosydd quarry

The final ascent of Moel-yr-hydd should have been an easy stroll, but it felt like really hard work, so I decided that Moelwyn Mawr and Moelwyn Bach would have to be left for another day.

IMG_0319.JPG
Ascent of Moel-yr-hydd

IMG_0320.JPG
Moel-yr-hydd summit view

IMG_0321.JPG
Moelwyns from Moel-yr-hydd

On the way down I was again hit by the Curse of the Disappearing Path, and ended up with a slightly scary descent down a very steep slope to get to the road leading back to the car park.

IMG_0322.JPG
Descent
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: 6 out of 8 - Ffestiniog Hills

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:40 am

6 out of 8 ain't bad Andy, lovely pics throughout and obviously you just left out those last two so you could go back there :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland