walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach.........not as hairy scary as I'd imagined

Liathach.........not as hairy scary as I'd imagined

by PeteR » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 14/05/2016

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Liathach.........not as hairy scary as I'd imagined

Postby litljortindan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:13 pm

A classic indeed and very well recorded. Over five traverses never found the pinnacles a problem apart from one long narrow horizontal block near the start that I've always crossed a' cheval. On one occasion a companion calmly strode across it as if it was a bit of pavement. Did also have a nervous November traverse with little spots of ice here and there and someone constantly barking at me to get a move on.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby dooterbang » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:28 pm

Looks familiar :wink:

Great detailed report. Like you I was apprehensive but at the end of the day it was well within my comfort zone, which made it very enjoyable....so much so I did it again the following week :D

Superb!
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:19 pm

Excellent report ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Very well described route and feelings...all about Liathach...perfect ! :thumbup:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby redrook » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:35 pm

Borderhugh wrote:Great report Pete. Nicely detailed. This will definitely be a test of my metal. i hope to get over it with flying colours. I will take my time and enjoy it!

Mettle, not metal :wink: unless you're a cyborg.

Nice walk report, although a little bit gushy about those pinnacles :-P how would you compare it to the Aonach Eagach in terms of scrambliness/exposure? Looks great fun though and I can't wait to do the route.
redrook

Munros:137   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   Donalds:8

Postby bigkeith » Fri May 15, 2020 12:58 pm

I enjoyed that report and also found it really helpful, thanks. I think I feel pretty well exactly the same as you did before you did the hike - looking forward to it but apprehensive about the pinnacles. You've helped my confidence a lot; I'll wait for a nice day (hopefully...) and try it then. Better to enjoy the special scenery there too :). Great photos btw. Cheers.
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

Postby lucid nonsense » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:36 pm

This was the report that gave me the confidence to try Liathach, which I did, successfully, today. In the event the exposure on the Pinnacles didn't really bother me, I never experienced the lurching vertiginous feeling I had been worried about beforehand. I deliberately avoided drinking too much caffeine beforehand to make sure I kept the heid but I don't know if that made any difference or not. There were places where I couldn't see whether it was safe to continue downwards and so I either retraced my steps and went a different way or shouted to ask people ahead if it was possible to descend safely. I think it pretty much always was safe, even at the places I turned back. Climbing downwards facing the rock is quite easy, it takes less energy than facing outwards and I began to enjoy it. I should say that today was perfect conditions for Liathach, I had been waiting months for a good MWIS forecast. Even after today I wouldn't do the Pinnacles in the rain or strong wind.

The least enjoyable bit all day was the descent from Mullach an Rathain - normally I descend quite quickly but today I took a rest because of the toll it was taking on my leg muscles. It felt like the descent took as long as the steep steep ascent from the car park in the morning. I did start that ascent in double quick time because there were bad midges when I parked that I had totally not prepared for - coming from the east I contemplated whether to take the insect repellent but I said to myself "no, it'll be grand". Thankfully they didn't follow me, and when I got back to sea level for the walk along the road to the car park it was very sunny and midge free.

I thought I'd post some pictures of the "sensationally exposed" path that avoids the pinnacles as I don't think I'd seen any while looking for them beforehand. I was never going to take that path but I wondered what it looked like. I didn't notice it branching off from the eastern end but I think this must be the western end. In the wider picture it's visible on the right and you can see why some people might think it would be better than going straight up that pinnacle. But the closer view gives a better idea of its true nature. You really wouldn't want to be there when it was slippery and I suspect it might be worse further along.

DSC01697.JPG

DSC01693.JPG
lucid nonsense
Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:4

22 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland